Tutorial  Updated

Infinite Picrites on Pokemon Picross

NOTE: If you are using the Homebrew Launcher on firmware 9.3 or higher, you can skip any SaveDataFiler steps, and instead follow what is quoted below.
Indeed, it works fine. Just follow the tuto on the page (https://github.com/ihaveamac/9.6-dbgen-xmls)
  1. Download ZIP
  2. Place the mmap folder at the root of your 3DS SD card.
  3. Place boot.3dsx on at the root of the SD card, replacing any existing one.
4.Then use svdt or JKSM to backup the save. Happy cheating XD
A fairly short tutorial on how to get infinite Picrites on the new free-to-play Pokemon game.

What You'll Need
  • Pokemon Picross (duh)
  • SaveDataFiler (or another way to extract and import your save)
  • HxD (or another hex editor)
Step 1:
Start a file and get some Picrites. You get plenty from the tutorial world.

Step 2:
Extract your save. The ID on SaveDateFiler for the EUR and US (NA) game is 017C1. I'm unsure of other regions. Once highlighted press Y to export save to SD.

lZyKUf9.jpg

Step 3:
Open the "all.dat" file in HxD.

Step 4:
Go to Offset 00000B40. The offset is shown on the left side of the screen if you're unsure as to where you should be looking.

Step 5:
Edit the four numbers highlighted to FF FF. The values shown below will be different since we likely don't have the same number of Picrites.

mPKP7mZ.jpg
->
EhPzsM5.jpg

Step 6:
Save your edit in HxD and put your newly saved file "all.dat" back on your SD in the correct folder of Pokemon Picross (X:\filer\UserSaveData\20151205133407\000017c1\) -> 20151205133407 is a date/time stamp, so will be different.

Step 7:
In SaveDataFiller, under the tab "User" search again for "017C1" and when highlighted (yellow) press R+X to delete the secure value

juaNhgK.jpg

Step 8:
Now go to the tab "SD" and select "000017c1", when highlighted press "A" to import your save, then press Home button to exit SaveDataFiller and start Pokémon Picross.

0s5mrww.jpg

Step 7:
Enjoy the game. If you want to support the people that made it, buy some Picrites in the store or something.

9CDZMIm.jpg

Worked great for me, here's hoping it'll save a few people long waits between levels ^^ Let me know if there are any issues!

EDIT: Although the game says 9999, I believe doing this actually sets your Picrite count to 65535 (the value of FFFF when you convert it to decimal). So yeah, you probably won't run out.

EDIT 2: Thanks to @DjoeN for the clearer instructions ^^

Last edited by Scarlet,

Rangnarok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, is there any work being done to more fully decode the save game format?

For example, here's a list of some offsets/lengths and what I believe they mean:

0x0B40 (2) ==> Number of current picrites
0x2A29 (1) ==> Current selected area
0x2B48 (1) ==> Current selected world in an area
0x2A24 (1) ==> Bitmask of unlocked normal-world areas 0-7
0x2A25 (1) ==> Bitmask of unlocked normal-world areas 8-15
0x2A26 (1) ==> Bitmask of unlocked normal-world areas 16-23
0x2A27 (1) ==> Bitmask of unlocked normal-world areas 24-30 (last bit may be unused, may be alt-world?)

I think it's great that you can contribute and putting efforts in it. But I think the reason there is no more development on this because you can unlock everything with 9999 picrites.

If you also want all missions completed etc, then of course we will need to work on the offset for those. But I don't think that's the point when you play this game, so people don't really need those.

Reactions: Selver

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey thanks a lot for this!
ONLY WORKS ON OFW 9.2 OR LOWER AT THE MOMENT
It may work now in cfw, rigth?

I have a question about the values, what if I want to get like only 500 or so to don't look too hacked
(and control the vicious a bit :v sometimes the game must tell me to do not play so much, you know xD I only want to cheat here because waitinh a day to get 5 until I can open the new world :v maybe if I haven't bougth that team slot =3= lol)

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey thanks a lot for this!

It may work now in cfw, rigth?

I have a question about the values, what if I want to get like only 500 or so to don't look too hacked
(and control the vicious a bit :v sometimes the game must tell me to do not play so much, you know xD I only want to cheat here because waitinh a day to get 5 until I can open the new world :v maybe if I haven't bougth that team slot =3= lol)
It always worked in CFW :') OFW = Official Firmware, so basically without CFW. Aaaaaaanyway, you can have any amount. Just convert it to hex then swap it around. 500 = 1F4, so when you're doing the hex editing step, make the value: F4 01.

That should work anyway, I'm working from memory since I'm on my phone :')

Reactions: Sliter

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It always worked in CFW :') OFW = Official Firmware, so basically without CFW. Aaaaaaanyway, you can have any amount. Just convert it to hex then swap it around. 500 = 1F4, so when you're doing the hex editing step, make the value: F4 01.

That should work anyway, I'm working from memory since I'm on my phone :')
I haven't saw that "o" :v omg sorry haha
Thanks! I gonna try this soon XD

Krotine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Completed the Picrite hack.
Guide worked well and was easy to follow!
Completed this on A9LH SysNAND 11.0.0-33U.
(I installed the savedatefiler.cia, extracted save, ran and edited through HxD, deleted save on system then imported modded save from SD, SUCCESS!)

I did pretty much what this guy did and it worked perfectly. savedatafiler is amazing.

ToastyMudkip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rip cant export it with savemanager homebrew Q_Q goodbye dream :P
Try JKSV to extract the save, then use HxD to edit the save, finally use JKSV to inject the new save into picross. This worked for me. This is an old thread so I don't really expect you to see (or get anything out of) this...

Emuchu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... bit of a discovery, here. I bought the 3,000 picrites needed to max out the game for my girlfriend, not realizing that it was a non-transferable purchase, so when I wanted to start the game over, I had to resort to hacking to get the picrites I needed. After some recent fiddling, though, I figured out how to copy over the part of the save data that gets you free picrites from the shop, which for some reason makes me feel better (I like my hackery to be as close to authentic as possible). Anyone interested in this?

Now I just have to figure out how to get the diamond mine in Rumble World (same situation, bought it for my gf, want to start over).

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So... bit of a discovery, here. I bought the 3,000 picrites needed to max out the game for my girlfriend, not realizing that it was a non-transferable purchase, so when I wanted to start the game over, I had to resort to hacking to get the picrites I needed. After some recent fiddling, though, I figured out how to copy over the part of the save data that gets you free picrites from the shop, which for some reason makes me feel better (I like my hackery to be as close to authentic as possible). Anyone interested in this?

Now I just have to figure out how to get the diamond mine in Rumble World (same situation, bought it for my gf, want to start over).
If you share the offset you'd need to change, I can add it to the OP for other people. It isn't exactly different to giving yourself 65535 since you'll never run out but I'm sure some people will prefer it ^^ As for Rumble World, I'm fairly certain a user on here made a full blown save editor. That might have what you're looking for. At the very minimum, I recall it having a diamond editor.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you share the offset you'd need to change, I can add it to the OP for other people. It isn't exactly different to giving yourself 65535 since you'll never run out but I'm sure some people will prefer it ^^ As for Rumble World, I'm fairly certain a user on here made a full blown save editor. That might have what you're looking for. At the very minimum, I recall it having a diamond editor.
If I remember correctly, the Rumble save editor had that, it could edit two diamond values, current owned diamonds and amount of purchased diamonds. Setting that to... however many it is you need to buy will unlock the mine.

Reactions: Scarlet

Emuchu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you share the offset you'd need to change, I can add it to the OP for other people. It isn't exactly different to giving yourself 65535 since you'll never run out but I'm sure some people will prefer it ^^
It's not a specific value, but more of a stretch of what I'm assuming to be my purchase information. Lemme go find that and I'll post it up.

EDIT: Here goes!
At offset B44, I overwrote this:
Code:
88 13 00 00 88 13 00 00 01 00 43 00 54 00 52 00 56 00 4A 00 46 00 4A 00 41 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 31 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 43 00 54 00 52 00 56 00 4A 00 46 00 4A 00 41 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 32
It should overwrite the block B44-BAC. I'm not sure how much of this you actually need, but considering this worked for my purposes, I wasn't willing to experiment further. It might still work if you only copy to B6C.

If I remember correctly, the Rumble save editor had that, it could edit two diamond values, current owned diamonds and amount of purchased diamonds. Setting that to... however many it is you need to buy will unlock the mine.
I saw this feature in the Github repository, but it seems like the one on the gbatemp release only edits current diamonds. Any idea where I can find a more recent release? Otherwise, I've been unsuccessfully hitting my head on how to compile the clone I downloaded. Yeah, it's mostly the same thing, but I like having the mine, since I've already paid for it once.

Last edited by Emuchu,
Reactions: Tennin

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw this feature in the Github repository, but it seems like the one on the gbatemp release only edits current diamonds. Any idea where I can find a more recent release? Otherwise, I've been unsuccessfully hitting my head on how to compile the clone I downloaded. Yeah, it's mostly the same thing, but I like having the mine, since I've already paid for it once.
Here, I compiled it for you. It might be flagged as a virus but given I just compiled it, I'm pretty sure it isn't lol.

If you want to compile stuff like this for yourself, you can just download Visual Studio. A large number of save editors are written in C# and using Visual Studio, so it's not a bad idea to familiarise yourself with it ♪

Attachments

• Rumble World Save Tool Compiled.zip
    815.4 KB · Views: 344

gengardenne

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I haven't understood the method with mmap and boot.3dsx(also followed the github page)
After placed the mmap folder on the root and the boot replaced with the old one what I should do then?
I would do the old method because is more easy for me but because I've taken these files now I want use them.

gravebound

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i placed the mmap and boot files in the right place, but neither sdvt or jksm/v will work. sdvt blacks out, and jksm gets stuck on a yellow screen when i try to launch pp into it. am i doing something wrong?

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I do this hack using Checkpoint for the backing up and restoring of the save file?

Never mind, I followed the guide using SaveDataFiler and it worked.

Last edited by Deaddy,

Tennin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's not a specific value, but more of a stretch of what I'm assuming to be my purchase information. Lemme go find that and I'll post it up.

EDIT: Here goes!
At offset B44, I overwrote this:
Code:
88 13 00 00 88 13 00 00 01 00 43 00 54 00 52 00 56 00 4A 00 46 00 4A 00 41 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 31 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 43 00 54 00 52 00 56 00 4A 00 46 00 4A 00 41 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 32
It should overwrite the block B44-BAC. I'm not sure how much of this you actually need, but considering this worked for my purposes, I wasn't willing to experiment further. It might still work if you only copy to B6C.
Hey there. I just wanted to thank you, since this worked flawlessly for me. I really appreciate that you posted this, since I like "my hackery to be as close to authentic as possible" as well. :)

@Scarlet Would you be willing to edit your OP and include Emuchu's post in it? Your original instructions are somewhat outdated (I didn't need to use 9.6-dbgen-xmls, for example) and I'm sure some people who stumble over the years over this thread would appreciate it.

Off-topic, about the game itself: I feel like this game could be a hit, if released now on Switch as a full game release without microtransactions. It's so addicting, due to the Pokemon license used ("gotta catch 'em all") and probably the most complex out of all Picross entries so far (the player has to utlize the individual Pokemon abilities). I honestly wish it would've been released as a full physical release for the 3DS

@Emuchu I know your post is several years old, but how do you like Pokemon Rumble World? I know that there's a full physical game release of it and according to information I found online, it contains the maximum number of diamonds one could buy in the Free-to-Play version. Would you recommend the game? I haven't really looked at it so far and just wonder if it's similarly addicting as Pokemon Picross, despite having different gameplay mechanics. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.