[Tutorial] How to use the latest RetroArch on Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by MattKimura, Aug 26, 2017.

1. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Lots of people seem to have trouble getting RetroArch 1.6.0 or later to work, ever since it introduced the fancy new XMB menu. The reason everyone fails to get it working is because you actually need the XMB files on your SD card which are the menu icons for the new GUI. Here's a quick tutorial on getting the latest RetroArch running.

1) First you'll need to download the latest RetroArch: http://retroarch.com/index.php?page=platforms
    2) Scroll down to Wii U and download the RPX version.
    3) Open the zip and drag the retroarch folder to your SD card
    4) In the same zip, browse to wiiu/apps/
    5) Choose the RetroArch cores you want. I personally use Snes9x2005, FCEUMM, GenesisPlusGX, Gambatte, mgba, and prboom
    6) Extract these from the zip. Then add them to your SD card in wiiu/apps/
    7) Now download the RetroArch XMB files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzhZh67kgabrYWx4UmpLcDdiVE0
    Note: Works for 3DS retroarch also
    8) Open the zip and drag the retroarch folder to your SD card
    9) Delete your retroarch config file if you're coming from an older version, located in retroarch/retroarch.cfg
    10) Now you're ready to launch them from Homebrew Launcher
    11) To enable the analog for games, go to input > User input 1 > then set the analog to the left stick

That should be it, you can launch a game by choosing Load Content > SD:/ When you choose a rom, ignore all the other emulators. Just stick to the one you originally launched. Example: Launching snes9x 2005 but then choosing snes9x 2010 will crash the system

Last edited by MattKimura, Aug 26, 2017
  2. sp3off

sp3off One male shadow.

Apr 17, 2013
    France
    Hell's Lair
    You are on fire today making all those tutorials ! Nice job ! Actually I've thought you've needed to download ALL the cores in order to make it work xD.

3. kid sampson

kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2006
    United States
    Thank you! I can finally launch a game now without crashing. Does this version now support box art? If so, do you plan to add directions for adding games to the menus? Is it as simple as scanning for content?

4. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    box art tutorial please. :)

5. bonoboy

bonoboy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2008
    I want to know if Mame 2003 Midway has support for two players using WiiU Pro Controller. I have Mortal Kombat games running fine but it just uses Gamepad...

6. thewhitetyger

thewhitetyger Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    Hey, was about to ask about this and you just saved me some time! Thanks a trillion MK!

XMB? DId RetroArch just copy the PS3's Cross Media Bar? I recall the version on the PS3 looks an awful lot like it, but I never thought they would port (pimp?) the GUI to another gaming system. That's gonna be interesting...

Last edited by thewhitetyger, Sep 7, 2017
  7. reminon

reminon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Yeah they cloned the look and feel of ps3's xmb.

8. JV1986

JV1986 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2017
    United States
    Thank you SOOOOO much. Seeing that crashing error screen a dozen times was nauseating. This cured it.

Now here is the $64 question...is it, and SHOULD IT be possible to get Neo Geo CD to run on Wii U's Retroarch? Because I went through so many tutorials, and they ALL relate to PC, but not much in the way for Wii U or Wii/vWii.

Just saying...would love to get some of that NGCD on Wii U, and do it up on the gamepad instead of messing with the Wiimote and deal with NeoGeo CD Wii on the Homebrew Channel. also, going back to the question I asked earlier, while checking through tutorials, it says it will work on RA's MAME using MESS BIOS files and NGCD's roms(all in a .CHD file), but I'm not finding any other places to get the .CHD files.

This is still new territory for me with RA on Wii U, while Wii/vWii didn't seem so different(except for NGPC never working whatsoever, and the only stable one for it was from a 1.0.0.2 pack I found for my vWii). Anyway, NGCD...doable or nah?

9. boxer29

boxer29 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2014
    thanks for the tutorial ,
    when i try to downlaod the file RetroArch XMB files from the google drive link it says you need permission to download , i did request permission but nothing has happened .
    can some one sent the file or load it to a diff link .
    thanks

10. cwaltor

cwaltor Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2017
    Venezuela
    can you give me acces to the XMB files?

11. carnage781

carnage781 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2010
    United States
    Please help, I have no idea what happened. I can use my emulators on Homebrew Launcher and it is driving me nuts. Dpad and Analog do nothing and i cant navigate the menus. I can hit + or - buttons on the gamepad to highlight the top or bottom if the menu, and hit R to select quit retroarch which works. How can I get my controller working?

I tried:

1. Deleting retroarch.cfg
    2. Deleting and reinstalling emulators
    3. Restarting console
    4. Erasing and making a new retroarch root folder
    5. Adding latest nightly build 12/6/17, added to wiiu/apps

Nothing works, i tried gamepad and wii u pro controller, neither work, but work in anything else. Any ideas? This has left me completely dumbfounded, last time intouched it it worked fine, and it wasnt used and no internet connection in months and now it doesnt do anythinf

12. Sucht93a

Sucht93a Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2017
    Germany
    Could someone maybe re upload the xmb files as the google drive link is not public without permission. would really appreciate it.

And thanks for the tutorial :-)