Tutorial  Updated

How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT

CN : Cubic Ninja
OOT : Zelda Ocarina of Time
HBL : Homebrew Launcher

Notice for gateway users : you can also use this tutorial to use your gateway on your N3DS without CN/OOT.

You need :
- A 9.0-9.2 n3ds obviously
- The latest gateway firmware if you're planning to use mset. (you can find it on their site)
- The HBL starter kit : https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip
- The latest ninjhax version of FBI : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/
- A cia version of the cia manager you want to install (for example FBI or BigBlueMenu)
- Emunand9Tool : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-emunand9tool-open-source-emunand-formatter-manager.405921/
- Encrypted 9.0-9.2 and 9.5 firmware.bin: can't link it here, but search "firmware9.2.bin" on google (with the quotes) and download the Cakes.zip folder. The md5 of the firmware9.2.bin should be 87aea2e8c30a533fd9f319683b3a0793 and b99adf0adb279712367c06eb83ba9ae6 for the 9.5 one.
- (only for cakes) The cetk file : http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013820000002/cetk
- an Internet connexion (use the tubehax dns to prevent background update downloading)

I Installing a cia manager on your sysnand

Method 1 : with CakesFW

1. Extract the starter kit on your micro-sd card root.
2. Copy the "3ds" folder from the FBI one on your micro-sd card root.
3. Downlad the latest Cakes here : Copy the 3ds folder, the cakes folder and the Cakes.dat file on your micro-sd card.
4. Copy the cia you want to install on your micro-sd card.
5. Copy the cetk and the firmware9.2.bin in the cakes folder, rename firmware9.2.bin firmware.bin
6. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
7. Start the HBL with browserhax.
8. Select Cakes
9. select Patches, choose "Disable signature checks" only for now.
10. Boot the cfw.
11. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
12. This time, choose FBI.
13. Use FBI to install the cia manager of your choice.

Method 2 : with Pasta CFW

1. Extract the starter kit on your micro-sd card root.
2. Copy the "3ds" folder from the FBI one on your micro-sd card root.
3. Dowload the PastaCFW files : http://jheberg.net/captcha/pastacfw-for-ninjhax2-90-92/ . Copy the PastaCFW folder in the 3ds folder.
4. Copy the cia you want to install on your micro-sd card.
5. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
6. Launch the HBL with browserhax.
7. Choose the PastaCFW
8. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
9. This time, choose FBI.
10. Use FBI to install your prefered cia installer

Reminder :
Q: I'm getting a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error!
A: You likely haven't installed anything from eShop or other locations before. You will need to go to the "Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>/dbs/" directory on your SD card and create empty "title.db" and "import.db" files. Then, go to System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software on your 3DS and let it repair the database files.

II. Setting up the emunand.

Method 1 : with Emunand9Tool
1. Put the 3DS folder of Emunand9Tool on your sdcard root
2. Launch the HBL then select Emunand9Tool
3. Select EmuNAND Manager Options -> Dump SysNAND to NAND.bin
4. Once it's done, press B twice, then select to unmount the micro-sd card
5. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer and put your nand backup somewhere safe.
6. Put back your micro-sd card in your console then press B
7. Select Complete EmuNAND Setup and confirm
8. Once it's done, press start to reboot and restore your micro-sd card content.

Method 2 : with the Gateway Launcher (use this if you have a gateway, it also work without it)
You need :
- The latest Gateway firmware available on their site
1. Copy the launcher.dat file on your micro-sd card root
2. Extract the GW_3dsx.zip archive on your micro-sd card root
3. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer
4. Launch the HBL and select Gateway. (if you have the gateway inserted on your console, remove it first)
5. In the gateway menu, select "Format Emunand"
6. Then select "Backup System nand"
7. Finally, press down + B to shut down the console
8. Restore your micro-sd card content and put your nand backup somewhere safe.

III Booting into the emunand

To boot into your emunand :

Cakes
If you choosed the Cakes method in the first part you can just continue to use it :
- Download the latest fimware.bin here (first link, rename it firmware.bin)
- Dowload the slot0x11key96.bin on that iso site (Google "CakesFW - Open Source CFW with emunand support!") and put it on your micro-sd card root
- In the cakes menu check the emunand patch.

Reinand :
- Download this on extract it on your micro-sd card root : http://jheberg.net/captcha/reinand-n3ds-emunand-96/
- Download the latest fimware.bin (you can find the link in the reinand github), rename it firmware.bin and put it in the rei folder
- Select Reinand in the HBL

Gateway
If you have a gateway, just select Boot Gateway Mode in the Gateway menu. (if you have the gateway inserted when you choose Gateway in the HBL, it will skip the menu and directly boot into it)
Or you can use rxTools (some features still don't work on n3ds, refer to this : https://gbatemp.net/posts/5705403/).

rxTools
If you want to use rxTools, you need :
- rxTools nightly : http://jheberg.net/captcha/rxtools-2015-11-19-265d53e/
1. Create a firm folder inside the rxTools folder, copy the firmware9.5.bin in it
2. Rename the firmware 9.5.bin 0004013820000002.bin. Then copy the rxTools folder on your micro-sd card root
3. Copy the rxTools folder from the ninjhax folder in your "3ds" folder.
4. Then start rxTools from the HBL. Press a key at the end of the data installation to boot into your emunand.

Be aware that both Gateway and rxtools only support emunand up to 9.5 at the moment

IV Updating the emunand

With Cakes/Reinand :
1. Change your sysnand (and only your sysnand) language.
2. Boot into your emunand. If if it's not in your main language, that's mean you are not in your emunand (or you changed the language of the wrong nand), so don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Go the system settings (it should still be on your main language), and don't exit it until the update is done. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With Reinand
1. Boot into Emunand, and go to the system settings.
2. Make sure it says Rei in front of the version number to be sure that you are in emuNAND. If it does don't exit the systems setings until the update is done. If it doesn't, don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With rxTools/Gateway :
Follow this : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-update-emunand-on-a-n3ds.393701/

V Start the CFW without internet.

1. With menuhax

This method only work if your emunand are unlinked (to unlink the nand, format your sysnand with the micro-sd card out)
Install menuhax using browserhax : https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/releases
To uninstall menuhax just change your sysnand theme.
Notice : You can use this if you want to coldboot on the CFW (or Gateway) of your choice : http://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/

2. With a downgraded mset

To downgrade your mset :
- Copy the mset_region.cia from the GATEWAY ULTRA 3.X\MSET4.5 installers for New 3DS REGION SPECIFIC !!!\your_region folder on your sd card. (and the bluecardfix if oyu have a gateway)
- Launch Pasta then FBI
- Switch the destination to nand.
- Install mset_region.cia. (If you have a gateway install the bluecardfix too)
- Go to the system settings. If the nnid settings are gone, that means the operation was successfull.
Then to setup the MSET rop :
- Start FBI then press select
- Choose "CakesFW N3DS 9.X" if you're using Cakes , "rxTools3.x N3DS 9.X" for rxTools, and "Encrypted Gateway N3DS 9.X" for Gateway.
- You can now start the cfw from System Settings -> Other Settings ->Profile -> DS Profile

Last edited by VerseHell,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An update to my previous problem

The 3D visuals are off every time I boot, and the system must be closed and reopened each time I boot CFW. Any way to fix this permanently?
IDK. This feedback should go to the CFW developer. Question: Are you experienceing slowness in turn off N3DS when in CFW mode (screen shut off quickly, but the power light takes longer time to goes off?)

Reactions: Blueberrypancakes

Blueberrypancakes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You missed these below steps:

"6. Launch the HBL with browserhax.
7. Choose the PastaCFW
8. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
9. This time, choose FBI.
10. Use FBI to install your prefered cia installer

1. Put the 3DS folder of Emunand9Tool on your sdcard root
2. Launch the HBL then select Emunand9Tool
3. Select EmuNAND Manager Options -> Dump SysNAND to NAND.bin
4. Once it's done, press B twice, then select to unmount the micro-sd card
5. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer and put your nand backup somewhere safe."

THE FBI in HBL is not reliable. It misses some signature to install some CIA (OP?)

:lol:Thanks!! I actually didn't miss those steps the first time, and the HBL FBI app told me it had succeeded, but for some reason it didn't work:huh:. I tried it again per your quoted instructions, and now I have a lovely FBI app sitting on my CFW home screen :yay3ds:! Thanks very much :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

IDK. This feedback should go to the CFW developer. Question: Are you experienceing slowness in turn off N3DS when in CFW mode (screen shut off quickly, but the power light takes longer time to goes off?)
Yes, actually! I am indeed experiencing slowness in turning off my N3DS when in CFW mode. It is exactly as you described :).

As I suspected before, you seem to be suggesting it's a CFW-level problem. Hopefully I didn't do anything wrong.

My sum total of issues I'm experiencing with the CFW do just seem to be the aforementioned lack of 3D images until the system has been opened and closed, and the slowness on shutdown. All in all, I haven't noticed any other flaws.

Thankyou very much.:)

gabrielmp2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
When i click to complete EmuNAND Setup it says File starter.bin was not found! and when i press A to continue it says the SD card will be formated, is it right?

tobiobito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I did Method 2 : with Pasta CFW (easier) and Method 1 : with Emunand9Tool it shows in the settings that I am running RE-9.1J not 9.5 emunand. Am I mistaken in this and it doesn't post there or do I have to do any other steps?

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tobiobito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed that guide a bit ago and when I boot back into rxtools I got a homescreen being prepared sign followed by a black screen. When I tried to inject nand to emunand to restore it I got error file to big or something like that
Not too sure what the problem is. Just that that tutorial is for after you complete this one.

adeptrain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I hope someone here can help me since you mention gateway in your tutorial. So, I used a similar guide to install pasta, menuhax, Fbi, rxtools, and emunand 9. Everything works flawlessly and I have it setup to automatically boot into rxe emunand.
The problem is my new gateway card. I don't have oot or CN, but I heard you can use it with homebrew launcher. So, I downloaded the latest gateway beta and tried to get it to work. Nothing I do will let me get into the gateway menu. I can't use the card at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I hope someone here can help me since you mention gateway in your tutorial. So, I used a similar guide to install pasta, menuhax, Fbi, rxtools, and emunand 9. Everything works flawlessly and I have it setup to automatically boot into rxe emunand.
The problem is my new gateway card. I don't have oot or CN, but I heard you can use it with homebrew launcher. So, I downloaded the latest gateway beta and tried to get it to work. Nothing I do will let me get into the gateway menu. I can't use the card at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Nothing complicated at all. Copy the GW.3dsx and launcher.dat to the root of SD. Open boot.cfg and add the below entry

{
title = "Gateway Menu";
path = "/GW.3dsx";
}

Then save!

Now boot into CtrlBootManager Menu and choose Gateway Menu.

Last edited by tivu100,

DesperadoV3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do you update your emunand?
i'm using rxtools and i tried updating my emunand but when it completed, my emunand boots to a black screen

adeptrain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing complicated at all. Copy the GW.3dsx and launcher.dat to the root of SD. Open boot.cfg and add the below entry

{
title = "Gateway Menu";
path = "/GW.3dsx";
}

Then save!

Now boot into CtrlBootManager Menu and choose Gateway Menu.

Thank you! I seemed to have put the wrong path in after the title. I needed to put path = "/3ds/GW/GW.3dsx";

Anyway, I have gateway mode working now! yay! Thank you all.

wahts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks nice tut got everything working with it.
Only thing left is when i turn on the n3ds that he goes directly too emunand without clicking anything is there any solution?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455