Tutorial  Updated

How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT

CN : Cubic Ninja
OOT : Zelda Ocarina of Time
HBL : Homebrew Launcher

Notice for gateway users : you can also use this tutorial to use your gateway on your N3DS without CN/OOT.

You need :
- A 9.0-9.2 n3ds obviously
- The latest gateway firmware if you're planning to use mset. (you can find it on their site)
- The HBL starter kit : https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip
- The latest ninjhax version of FBI : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/
- A cia version of the cia manager you want to install (for example FBI or BigBlueMenu)
- Emunand9Tool : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-emunand9tool-open-source-emunand-formatter-manager.405921/
- Encrypted 9.0-9.2 and 9.5 firmware.bin: can't link it here, but search "firmware9.2.bin" on google (with the quotes) and download the Cakes.zip folder. The md5 of the firmware9.2.bin should be 87aea2e8c30a533fd9f319683b3a0793 and b99adf0adb279712367c06eb83ba9ae6 for the 9.5 one.
- (only for cakes) The cetk file : http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013820000002/cetk
- an Internet connexion (use the tubehax dns to prevent background update downloading)

I Installing a cia manager on your sysnand

Method 1 : with CakesFW

1. Extract the starter kit on your micro-sd card root.
2. Copy the "3ds" folder from the FBI one on your micro-sd card root.
3. Downlad the latest Cakes here : Copy the 3ds folder, the cakes folder and the Cakes.dat file on your micro-sd card.
4. Copy the cia you want to install on your micro-sd card.
5. Copy the cetk and the firmware9.2.bin in the cakes folder, rename firmware9.2.bin firmware.bin
6. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
7. Start the HBL with browserhax.
8. Select Cakes
9. select Patches, choose "Disable signature checks" only for now.
10. Boot the cfw.
11. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
12. This time, choose FBI.
13. Use FBI to install the cia manager of your choice.

Method 2 : with Pasta CFW

1. Extract the starter kit on your micro-sd card root.
3. Dowload the PastaCFW files : http://jheberg.net/captcha/pastacfw-for-ninjhax2-90-92/ . Copy the PastaCFW folder in the 3ds folder.
5. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
6. Launch the HBL with browserhax.
7. Choose the PastaCFW
8. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
9. This time, choose FBI.
10. Use FBI to install your prefered cia installer

Reminder :
Q: I'm getting a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error!
A: You likely haven't installed anything from eShop or other locations before. You will need to go to the "Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>/dbs/" directory on your SD card and create empty "title.db" and "import.db" files. Then, go to System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software on your 3DS and let it repair the database files.

II. Setting up the emunand.

Method 1 : with Emunand9Tool
1. Put the 3DS folder of Emunand9Tool on your sdcard root
2. Launch the HBL then select Emunand9Tool
3. Select EmuNAND Manager Options -> Dump SysNAND to NAND.bin
4. Once it's done, press B twice, then select to unmount the micro-sd card
5. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer and put your nand backup somewhere safe.
6. Put back your micro-sd card in your console then press B
7. Select Complete EmuNAND Setup and confirm
8. Once it's done, press start to reboot and restore your micro-sd card content.

Method 2 : with the Gateway Launcher (use this if you have a gateway, it also work without it)
You need :
- The latest Gateway firmware available on their site
1. Copy the launcher.dat file on your micro-sd card root
2. Extract the GW_3dsx.zip archive on your micro-sd card root
3. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer
4. Launch the HBL and select Gateway. (if you have the gateway inserted on your console, remove it first)
5. In the gateway menu, select "Format Emunand"
6. Then select "Backup System nand"
7. Finally, press down + B to shut down the console
8. Restore your micro-sd card content and put your nand backup somewhere safe.

III Booting into the emunand

To boot into your emunand :

Cakes
If you choosed the Cakes method in the first part you can just continue to use it :
- Download the latest fimware.bin here (first link, rename it firmware.bin)
- Dowload the slot0x11key96.bin on that iso site (Google "CakesFW - Open Source CFW with emunand support!") and put it on your micro-sd card root
- In the cakes menu check the emunand patch.

Reinand :
- Download this on extract it on your micro-sd card root : http://jheberg.net/captcha/reinand-n3ds-emunand-96/
- Download the latest fimware.bin (you can find the link in the reinand github), rename it firmware.bin and put it in the rei folder
- Select Reinand in the HBL

Gateway
If you have a gateway, just select Boot Gateway Mode in the Gateway menu. (if you have the gateway inserted when you choose Gateway in the HBL, it will skip the menu and directly boot into it)
Or you can use rxTools (some features still don't work on n3ds, refer to this : https://gbatemp.net/posts/5705403/).

rxTools
If you want to use rxTools, you need :
- rxTools nightly : http://jheberg.net/captcha/rxtools-2015-11-19-265d53e/
1. Create a firm folder inside the rxTools folder, copy the firmware9.5.bin in it
2. Rename the firmware 9.5.bin 0004013820000002.bin. Then copy the rxTools folder on your micro-sd card root
3. Copy the rxTools folder from the ninjhax folder in your "3ds" folder.
4. Then start rxTools from the HBL. Press a key at the end of the data installation to boot into your emunand.

Be aware that both Gateway and rxtools only support emunand up to 9.5 at the moment

IV Updating the emunand

With Cakes/Reinand :
1. Change your sysnand (and only your sysnand) language.
2. Boot into your emunand. If if it's not in your main language, that's mean you are not in your emunand (or you changed the language of the wrong nand), so don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Go the system settings (it should still be on your main language), and don't exit it until the update is done. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With Reinand
1. Boot into Emunand, and go to the system settings.
2. Make sure it says Rei in front of the version number to be sure that you are in emuNAND. If it does don't exit the systems setings until the update is done. If it doesn't, don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With rxTools/Gateway :
Follow this : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-update-emunand-on-a-n3ds.393701/

V Start the CFW without internet.

1. With menuhax

This method only work if your emunand are unlinked (to unlink the nand, format your sysnand with the micro-sd card out)
Install menuhax using browserhax : https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/releases
To uninstall menuhax just change your sysnand theme.
Notice : You can use this if you want to coldboot on the CFW (or Gateway) of your choice : http://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/

2. With a downgraded mset

To downgrade your mset :
- Copy the mset_region.cia from the GATEWAY ULTRA 3.X\MSET4.5 installers for New 3DS REGION SPECIFIC !!!\your_region folder on your sd card. (and the bluecardfix if oyu have a gateway)
- Launch Pasta then FBI
- Switch the destination to nand.
- Install mset_region.cia. (If you have a gateway install the bluecardfix too)
- Go to the system settings. If the nnid settings are gone, that means the operation was successfull.
Then to setup the MSET rop :
- Start FBI then press select
- Choose "CakesFW N3DS 9.X" if you're using Cakes , "rxTools3.x N3DS 9.X" for rxTools, and "Encrypted Gateway N3DS 9.X" for Gateway.
- You can now start the cfw from System Settings -> Other Settings ->Profile -> DS Profile

Last edited by VerseHell,

Drakas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Best you can do with 2GB is Pasta CFW with a game or 2 depended on game size. I am not sure if EMUNAND would be sufficient for 2GB. 2GB is just too small so I wouldn't recommend go past section 1 (Pasta CFW through BrowserHax) in this guide.

Sorry i realize that the default microsd has 4 Gb... Is it possibile to store nand backup and have emunand? And at least a cia/3ds games? :D
Or the best is buy directly a new microSDXC 64gb ?^^

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Sorry i realize that the default microsd has 4 Gb... Is it possibile to store nand backup and have emunand? And at least a cia/3ds games? :D
Or the best is buy directly a new microSDXC 64gb ?^^

Make your nand backup without emunand or cia files installed, once backed up copy the nand.bin to your pc and then reinstall emunand

Drakas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks a lot [emoji4]

And what about this:

Hello guys,
few questions before try this tutorial (N3DS V9.0 YAY :D ):

1) I think that i'll buy a new microsd with 64Gb...is it a problem if is a microSDXC type? it seems very fast.. so i expect fast loading time but i'm not an expert :)
2) I think that i'll go with pasta+rxtool... but what are the differences of features with cake? it have less features maybe?

i read about:

Thanks ^^

Drakas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
help guys...
I tryed with the last themehack but with no luck....

I'm stuck.... This is what I see:
I don't understand why I can't install.. What should I do? :( @VerseHell @tivu100

Internet connection works fine... any idea? i'm trouble with it a lot hours with no result... :'( @VerseHell @tivu100

acb840fb44e67f192518a47cc46e375d.jpg

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
help guys...
I tryed with the last themehack but with no luck....

I'm stuck.... This is what I see:
I don't understand why I can't install.. What should I do? :( @VerseHell @tivu100

Internet connection works fine... any idea? i'm trouble with it a lot hours with no result... :'( @VerseHell @tivu100

acb840fb44e67f192518a47cc46e375d.jpg
Here is my post helping other member to install themehax: https://gbatemp.net/threads/doubt-themehax-o3ds-sysnand-9-4.400788/#post-5757610 . (Just when straight to the themehax download and install step).

Reactions: Drakas

Drakas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@tivu100 @VerseHell

Thanks guys.... Unfortunately I tried the offline version(1.2) with no success:
When I try to boot pressing L button, I only see random pixel on top screen and yellow screen at the bottom...... And i get stuck on it.. I tried sever times but with the same result. I don't understand why because I spend a lot of hours on it :(
(If can help.. I'm on new 3ds xl 9.0.0-20E

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@tivu100 @VerseHell

Thanks guys.... Unfortunately I tried the offline version(1.2) with no success:
When I try to boot pressing L button, I only see random pixel on top screen and yellow screen at the bottom...... And i get stuck on it.. I tried sever times but with the same result. I don't understand why because I spend a lot of hours on it :(
(If can help.. I'm on new 3ds xl 9.0.0-20E
Man. Just read my post. I detailed that you need to delete the old themehax installer folder. Overwriting/merging folders won't work because there are left-over files from offline installer and that messes up the new installer folder. Also I linked 1.3 themehax which from my experience has better boot rate. Also I also detailed how to update themehax to Hax 2.5.

Sometimes small detail is all what it's needed to fix thing up. Why wouldn't people just read?

Last edited by tivu100,
Reactions: Drakas

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This guide is awesome and i am very grateful for it

But i would love to know if i can skip the step of installing Pasta CFW and just use rxTools instead, for the installing of fbi etc..

So just have rxTools instead of having Pasta as well

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really quick bit of help needed - please - guys

This is my setup....

I have a N3DS (9.0 sysNAND), i have menuhax 2.0 using CTR manager auto booting the 10/02 rxTools, i also have HBL by pressing a button on red screen during boot and can also access HBL via webhax and MSET in sysNAND

I am very happy with my setup, all is well, probably only 2 in 10 failed boots

What i am wanting to achieve is this..... Following this great guide by @VerseHell was how i originally setup my system, using pasta first and FBI from HBL to install DEVMENU in Pasta, then setting up rxTools and seperating the nands to make sure i have a cia installer in my rx emunand

I would like to know if i can skip the Pasta step of the guide ??? I have read that rxTools has its own 'devmode' and also 'rx sysnand mode', so at the begining when setting up i would like to use just RX and not Pasta, however do not know which option i am to use to install the FBI version within HBL

Should i be using the rxmode in sysnand mode ?? or should i be using devmode ??

I asked Versehell and he said use devmode (he said he hadn't tested it himself), but when i enter advanced and select devmode the machine just freezes

Again, all i would want to install is Devmenu and CN using the HBL version of fbi installer, but into RX

Hope i have explained myself ok and make sense, bottom line is i am trying to skip a step and not use Pasta but only rxTools

Thanks in advance for any advice

AceEvo55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

My girlfriend recently bought a 3DS, and I bought a Gateway for her so she could play all her games without carrying them around. Didn't realize I needed OOT/CN, but had enough time to order it, so I do have it.

Didn't realize I needed a save dongle/O3DS though, and this guide seems to tell me that I can continue without these things.

What I'm wondering is ultimately, if I follow this guide, downgrade included, in order to launch the Gateway exploit and use the OOT save to make my boot game, can I then undo *everything*?

TL;DR

My main goal here is to follow the guide, get the OOT hack to work, and then ideally, remove the emunand, reformat sysnand (to get back to 9.2 and ultimately leave me with a "new" 3DS) and start fresh with the Gateway. Can this be done?

Thanks!

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really quick bit of help needed - please - guys

This is my setup....

I have a N3DS (9.0 sysNAND), i have menuhax 2.0 using CTR manager auto booting the 10/02 rxTools, i also have HBL by pressing a button on red screen during boot and can also access HBL via webhax and MSET in sysNAND

I am very happy with my setup, all is well, probably only 2 in 10 failed boots

What i am wanting to achieve is this..... Following this great guide by @VerseHell was how i originally setup my system, using pasta first and FBI from HBL to install DEVMENU in Pasta, then setting up rxTools and seperating the nands to make sure i have a cia installer in my rx emunand

I would like to know if i can skip the Pasta step of the guide ??? I have read that rxTools has its own 'devmode' and also 'rx sysnand mode', so at the begining when setting up i would like to use just RX and not Pasta, however do not know which option i am to use to install the FBI version within HBL

Should i be using the rxmode in sysnand mode ?? or should i be using devmode ??

I asked Versehell and he said use devmode (he said he hadn't tested it himself), but when i enter advanced and select devmode the machine just freezes

Again, all i would want to install is Devmenu and CN using the HBL version of fbi installer, but into RX

Hope i have explained myself ok and make sense, bottom line is i am trying to skip a step and not use Pasta but only rxTools

Thanks in advance for any advice
Currently (I checked like last week in the rxTools) Devmode does not work on N3DS. That's why you need Pasta CFW.

Hey guys,

My girlfriend recently bought a 3DS, and I bought a Gateway for her so she could play all her games without carrying them around. Didn't realize I needed OOT/CN, but had enough time to order it, so I do have it.

Didn't realize I needed a save dongle/O3DS though, and this guide seems to tell me that I can continue without these things.

What I'm wondering is ultimately, if I follow this guide, downgrade included, in order to launch the Gateway exploit and use the OOT save to make my boot game, can I then undo *everything*?

TL;DR

My main goal here is to follow the guide, get the OOT hack to work, and then ideally, remove the emunand, reformat sysnand (to get back to 9.2 and ultimately leave me with a "new" 3DS) and start fresh with the Gateway. Can this be done?

Thanks!

If you are only looking for to use the Gateway on the exploitable N3DS, so do these modified steps (by me) taken from steps on the guide:

1. Copy the boot.3dsx downloaded from http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ onto your micro-sd card root (Also put CN.cia & Gateway's launcher.dat on the root of SD).
3. Dowload the PastaCFW files : http://jheberg.net/captcha/pastacfw-for-ninjhax2-90-92/ . Copy the PastaCFW folder into the "3ds" folder.
5. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
6. Launch the HBL with browserhax.
7. Choose the PastaCFW
8. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
9. This time, choose FBI.
10. Install Cubic Ninja.
11. Start CUBIC NINJA, choose "Create", then "QR code", and finally "Scan QR code".
On your PC, go to the GATEWAY ULTRA 3.X\Save Games for New 3DS\Cubic\your_region folder and scan the QR code.
12. Now you can enter Gateway Menu on your exploitable N3DS.
Now that you can enter Gateway Menu, I think you already know how creating EMUNAND, unlink NANDS, how to back up... so I will leave you at this.

Gateway does use EMUNAND. may be the game installation/storage mechanism maybe different so ask in the flash car section. If you just want to start fresh (without saving anything you can just format everything.

I am confused what you have. 2 N3DS with 9.2?

Last edited by tivu100,
Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Currently (I checked like last week in the rxTools) Devmode does not work on N3DS. That's why you need Pasta CFW.

Thanks for the confirmation :)

Could the rx mode sysnand be used, for example load rxTools then select rx mode sysnand and then webhax to HBL and use FBI from HBL to install Devmenu ? Or is this also a no go ? and Pasta is only way ?

Thanks

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Boot to rxmode SysNAND -> Cubic NInja or browserhax (perfer Cubic Ninja because it has better boot rate)-> HBL -> FBI -> install Dev_menu cia

However, no update in SYSNAND rx mode.

Last edited by tivu100,
Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Boot to rxmode SysNAND -> Cubic NInja -> HBL FBI -> install Dev_menu cia

However, no update in SYSNAND rx mode.

Thank you !!

I have been asking this question on multiple threads and more than one site for the past 3 days

Finally i have the answer, thanks buddy :)

AceEvo55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, currently going through this guide. How long does PastaCFW take to install from browserhax? Screen is currently black and making me nervous.

Thanks guys!

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, currently going through this guide. How long does PastaCFW take to install from browserhax? Screen is currently black and making me nervous.

Thanks guys!
Install themehax. Boot HBL then Past CFW using themehax. For some 3DS, browserhax just has terrible boot rate when in Pasta Mode.

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm retarded and I accidentally installed FBI to NAND instead of SD. This is before I got gateway/NAND backup working.

Is there any way to remove it? I didn't see it in the delete titles menu.

EDIT: Also it doesn't show up on my home menu. A blank icon does for a second before disappearing.

Last edited by Arseface_TM,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm retarded and I accidentally installed FBI to NAND instead of SD. This is before I got gateway/NAND backup working.

Is there any way to remove it? I didn't see it in the delete titles menu.

EDIT: Also it doesn't show up on my home menu. A blank icon does for a second before disappearing.
Yes. There is a way to delete with FBI by searching for it's ID/title. However, you need to approach a more experienced member. I suggest you contact @Steveice10 who writes the FBI, then provide him with info regarding version of the FBI so he can help you out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)