Hacking [Tutorial]How to break the game limit on red button Sky3DS cartridges

philipx99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
thats because you used eeprom=yes. when you use yes, there is never any bugs, ever.

anyway, i used yes, and got it to show up cause i wanted it.

also, they just released a new template file. before the two 3ds harvest moon games weren't writeable, heres to testing that out.

also, i messages my retailer, and they won't swap a red for a blue button. but i did learn that the blue button has a disadvantage. it only automatically saves to temporary memory, you have to do some stuff to make it save to microsd every time you wanna save, where as red button users the saves always work. no tricks required.

Maybe I will try eeprom=no and let you know if I have time. Shouldn't be any issue on gameplay and save by writing as eeprom=no since the most problematic game animal crossing new leaf have no issue when playing and saving using eeprom=no for me.

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe I will try eeprom=no and let you know if I have time. Shouldn't be any issue on gameplay and save by writing as eeprom=no since the most problematic game animal crossing new leaf have no issue when playing and saving using eeprom=no for me.

you can try, and please do i suppose. make sure to write to a new micro sd card

also, the new template on the site overwrites the last template before it, suggesting there was a problem with the template they accidentally made.

EDIT: HARVEST MOON THE LOST VALLEY (150MB) works with the new 12/16 template, it works with eeprom=no and does not activate 0mb bug. when first ran it says save data is corrupt and it formats it. this is likely a localization bug and what it means to say is, there is no save data, making a file.

EDIT2 BEWARE HARVEST MOON A NEW BEGINNING. with the new current template, it CANNOT be set to eeprom=no. the reason for this is unclear. its possibly a template error, and not a error with the writer this time.

EDIT3 however it seems harvest moon a tale of two towns works fine.

EDIT4 kirby tripple deluxe only does temporary saves. when run again all saves are gone. other then that, it does not cause any bugs like the 0mb bug.

EDIT5: MY RECORD SAY BEFORE HOMETOWN STORY WAS FINE, BUT GAME A POWER DOWN ERROR WHENEVER RAN, AND CAUSED THE 0MB BUG ONCE IT DID. NOW IT RUNS, SAVES, AND LOADS FINE.

donkeymilk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its better to buy new card with blue button, it dont have any of those problems... but I have red :(

I had the red button, but I'm sending it back. They're going to send me a blue button card. For $80 or whatever, you shouldn't have to deal with these sorts of shenanigans.

I'll let you know how it is when I get it.

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had the red button, but I'm sending it back. They're going to send me a blue button card. For $80 or whatever, you shouldn't have to deal with these sorts of shenanigans.

I'll let you know how it is when I get it.

you said its for young people right? how young? my reseller said the blue button has a save trick involving the button that MUST happen when you want to save games. this does not happen on the red button ones. i imagine save loss will lead to alot of frustration for blue button users.

donkeymilk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about that. There are some "blue button" related threads on here that sounds pretty favorable.

Either way, just from a pure resale value perspective, no one is going to buy the :shit: red button:shit: when the illustrious blue button:bow: has been released.

Shinjix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Not sure about that. There are some "blue button" related threads on here that sounds pretty favorable.

Either way, just from a pure resale value perspective, no one is going to buy the :shit: red button:shit: when the illustrious blue button:bow: has been released.

This pains my heart so much... but yeah its true. I guess patience is the lesson here for many huh

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

i'll admit game compatibility an issue, but save loss on blue could possibly be worse.

also, blue uses the same writer program, roms, and micro sds. it should still have the same compatibility ishues. just not the scrolling bug. honestly the scrolling bug is so many compared to save loss i don't even care to much.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZUSaCSxa8M-wPfvHtnlnJGAqjRsxkPa4hsuNCIjkLOE/edit?usp=sharing

google doc of game compatibility for eeprom = no status

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

Nicely done mate.

I'm updating the first post with these new issues that have come to light. If the first post looks unruly just know that it's still being worked on.

PS, since the new template is out and appears to have fixed some issues and caused some more, do you want to 99% custom edit it like the previous one you did?

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nicely done mate.

I'm updating the first post with these new issues that have come to light. If the first post looks unruly just know that it's still being worked on.

PS, since the new template is out and appears to have fixed some issues and caused some more, do you want to 99% custom edit it like the previous one you did?

uhh, not yet. there is still alot to test, and i bet they will release some more sometime soon as well. they are literally releasing a new something every 2-4 days

also for anyone reading, commenting on stuff like 'kid icarus works great' when you wrote it with eeprom = yes means nothing. when eeprom = no there is a separate comparability list.

some day soon i'm going to stop testing game compatibility, and start playing them to test if online works myself first hand.

also for blue button users, i heard it still writes the first 10 roms as eeprom = yes. seeing how the chances for people to be paying a ton of gameplay to games that added last is kind of unlikly, i'll (unfortunatly, and perhaps a bit ignorantly), be mostly ignoring their comment, unless they are specific and have actually read through this topic.

i am curious about their compatability tho, i would love to see a blue button user have say kid Icarus or animal crossing as game 15ish and get their results. if there is even one report of a compatability ishue with blue button users, then the red button is literally better, because we can choose what games to eeprom yes on, to force bypass those compatability problems, and we have autosave, unlike blue button users. ( i can't imagine saving in some game and turning off the power and going OH SHIT I DIDN'T DO THAT THING I NEED TO and lose my save, i still say red > blue)

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any hope injecting a header of a 10 game into a 10+ game or is that a waste of time?

what...do you mean?

also i can confirm the new template fixes some of the major compatability bugs with previous games, so far 4 games have been fixed, and a few remain terrible. testing them out now.

also, the new template replacing the previous 20.13 template no longer reformats the micro sd when adding new super mario bros 2 :creep:

i wonder why 20.13 was removed from their site as well :creep:

not like it reformatting the entire micro sd was that much of a big deal. :creep:

if you by chance mean getting 20 games on one micro sd card then yes. (however you would need a sizeable micro SD card, those things arn't cheap)

Emil Långström

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For the lazies and advanced users, temper dawnbomb has manually created a template.txt file that has been edited with method 1 based off Sky3DS' template.txt 12/08/2014 which means that all you have to do is run the ROM through the crack tool and just use his template when writing with DiskWriter.

His template can be found here. Just know that games bigger than 2.1gb might not work. Check issues/compatibility for more information.

(Are dawnbomb comming with a updated template.txt)

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean playing around with rom tool or others to trick 10+ games to behave as 10 games.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-rom-tool-rom_tool.349314/

you mean to fix the scroll bug? i highly doubt it. however its a extremely minor annoyance. if you hold down the button when the game you want shows up for two full seconds before pushing A / play, in almost all cases the game will run fine.

For the lazies and advanced users, temper dawnbomb has manually created a template.txt file that has been edited with method 1 based off Sky3DS' template.txt 12/08/2014 which means that all you have to do is run the ROM through the crack tool and just use his template when writing with DiskWriter.

His template can be found here. Just know that games bigger than 2.1gb might not work. Check issues/compatibility for more information.

(Are dawnbomb comming with a updated template.txt)

i will (maybe) eventually make one. it took me 3 hours last time, my wrists hurt, and they released a new template a few minutes after i finished.

as of now, they release a new thing every 2-4 days.

i'd rather wait for more compatibility, before making another one.

i'mm off to bed, another 10 hours of rest before i dig into sky3ds some more. getting closer and closer to understanding things.

i think tomorrow i'll do more play testing then technical testing. hopefully throw some online testing in as well. or just very little testing and have fun on steam.

Reactions: LloydNorval

markreyes

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
you said its for young people right? how young? my reseller said the blue button has a save trick involving the button that MUST happen when you want to save games. this does not happen on the red button ones. i imagine save loss will lead to alot of frustration for blue button users.

Hi, not quite sure what you mean about the blue button save thing, when I read what you wrote it got me kinda worried. I just got my blue button sky3ds and so far, my saves are all working even after going out, playing another game then going back. I have only tried Kirby Triple Deluxe and Animal Crossing: New leaf though. Before playing Animal Crossing and Kirby, I wrote about 21 games to the sd card and tried going through all of them to see if I would be able to, no problems so far. I assumed that since it is a blue button card, I didn't care much about the way I wrote the backups to the micro sd card, I just wrote them right away using the latest template. Animal crossing showed up as eeprom=no while kirby was eeprom=yes.

warnings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For anyone linked here from the sky3ds site...DO NOT buy the cart! And don't listen to resellers saying it's the same as the BB. I hope these resellers get stuck with all these fucking things. I wouldn't even buy the BB from these cocksuckers.

donkeymilk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone linked here from the sky3ds site...DO NOT buy the cart! And don't listen to resellers saying it's the same as the BB. I hope these resellers get stuck with all these fucking things. I wouldn't even buy the BB from these cocksuckers.

You mean don't buy the red cart?

warnings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well seeing as they have such a golden track record, I guess you could take the risk with the blue button.
I won't!

viewsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i just hoping for a method to wipe the 10 write once games. im not a pirate i actually own a physical copy of every game i have backed up and just load them all on one card for convenience. can anyone confirm that the red button needn't be pressed to save the game once you've loaded the 10+ and it skips and light flashes constantly when held on the skipping one?

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, not quite sure what you mean about the blue button save thing, when I read what you wrote it got me kinda worried. I just got my blue button sky3ds and so far, my saves are all working even after going out, playing another game then going back. I have only tried Kirby Triple Deluxe and Animal Crossing: New leaf though. Before playing Animal Crossing and Kirby, I wrote about 21 games to the sd card and tried going through all of them to see if I would be able to, no problems so far. I assumed that since it is a blue button card, I didn't care much about the way I wrote the backups to the micro sd card, I just wrote them right away using the latest template. Animal crossing showed up as eeprom=no while kirby was eeprom=yes.

i don't want to go over this again, i just posted it al in another topic, but heres the basics

the blue button STILL HAS EEPROM = YES/NO. just now its done automaticaly. the first ten are yes, the rest are all set as no. and YES and NO stil have diffrent compatability. as you can see from my chart here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZUSaCSxa8M-wPfvHtnlnJGAqjRsxkPa4hsuNCIjkLOE/edit?usp=sharing

so, you fix the scroll bug, but get a save bug. (same solution, just instead of hold the button to stop scrolling, you hold the button to save for the eeprom NO games)

right now, there is a ILUSION that blue is better, because the first 10 are auto eeprom yes. (remember eeprom yes wil always work like perfect gold). i found part of this out when i contacted my reseler, and the rest from her links. and confirmed, via other users on this forum with the blue button who admit games past their 10 say eeprom=no.

now, while past your first 10 games, blue users have to deal with save, and compatability ishues. (the same compatability red do) red button users can save their 10 EEPROM YES slots for games that want to work nomatter what. it won't mater if its their 1nd, or 20th game, if they use a EEPROM YES slot up, the game works like gold. this can be useful for games that may take a VERY long time to hit playable on the compatability list, or any game that you want to play on release day. blue button users lose this 'feature'. (its kind of a + and - thing)

PS it turns out sky3ds 'will not be releasing a third card for region unlocking' but they still claim they will 'have a fix for region locking soon'. if these are both true, its possible they can indeed update their 'carts' somehow, if nintendo were to patch block them. also, its possible, well, before now we asumed old carts can't be updated, but to be fair they did 'update' them in a way, getting past the 10 game limit. and i just realised, the answer could be in the writer. it's possible their working on a new writer, or have a few special writers tucked away, that write the games to the micro SD a little diffrent then the writer we use now, in such a way it could bypass future nintendo blocking. this is all just speculation tho, but for all the 'proof' that its 'impossible' for them to update the carts, to avoid nintendo blocks in the future, its possible they have a update method that simply doesn't involve releasing new carts at all. IE new writer.

the best part of this speculation method, is that because its based on software that isn't released yet, if sky3ds has some writers tucked away, and only releases them as needed, it could take nintendo a very long time to go through blocking them all. and then again their is ofcorse our famous favorite problem, of while it may be detectable, is it blockable without blocking hundreds of people who bought legit carts. a

PPS: while i do argue that red button is better, i can definatly see blue button being far more convenient, so i'm not completely dissing it or anything. variety is a good thing :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: