[Tutorial] Get your private header using PowerSaves

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by LameNobody, Mar 30, 2015.

1. sandman15552000

sandman15552000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Hi Ive tried both methods to the letter repeated times. I am no stranger to coding or hex modding. I have even tried trouble shooting the instructions. I have tried mario cart 7, luigis mansion, and zelda OOT. None of them seem to have the search values in this guide. I am using windows 8.1 and I'm not sure if that effects this process. also tried running as administrator.

2. sandman15552000

sandman15552000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    is it possibly the version of powersaves what version have other people used with success.

3. TheProdigy972

TheProdigy972 Popplio Defense Squad Officer

Oct 1, 2016
    Canada
    Traveling across Alola for abused Popplios
    Can you make a private header for me please?

4. TheProdigy972

TheProdigy972 Popplio Defense Squad Officer

Oct 1, 2016
    Canada
    Traveling across Alola for abused Popplios
    Can somebody make a private header for me?

5. Havunen

Havunen Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Finland
    Guys, I know this thread has been in active for quite some time. But I want to ask, has anybody successfully used powersaves 1.4+ with hexEditor to retrieve private header? I believe it no longer works and 1.21 version keeps in loop (probably authentication no longer supported) Anybody has 1.21 powersave working or successfully used 1.4 to get header?

6. Thracky

Thracky Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2016
    Canada
    Latest powersaves works perfectly for me (on Win 10 even). However, the main difference now seems to be that private headers do not seem to begin with the 1 byte cartridge manufacturer code, so don't expect to see one that starts with C2, AE or 45, though it's still possible I imagine.

The method I used with great success was to look for the name of your save backup in powersaves memory (e.g. if you did a backup and called it "Header", search for "Header") and then look for the 48 "FF" bytes. The header still also seems to always be preceded by 00 88.

One other thing to note is that you will have to "guess" at the manufacturer ID bytes when modifying the cart ID in the Sky3ds cfg. Both of my private headers started with 6X but the cart ID had to start with 45.

7. Luciano Primrose
    This message by Luciano Primrose has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 23, 2016, Reason: You can't ask for copyrighted content -rp.
    Dec 23, 2016
  8. Luciano Primrose

Luciano Primrose Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    United States
    Hey sorry about my previous post, I'm entirely new to this. Let me rephrase what I said, I've been having trouble with trying to find my private header. I haven't been able to find hex values that come before the private header. I'm at a lost and am in need of some help. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or guidance on the issue. I tried Super Smash Bros. (A USA Copy) and have done all the steps. I have cleared the bin files and have reopened the program and hex editor and searched for my save file. Problem is, I don't see any "00 00 00 88." Please help. (I also tried the second method. It was unable to find the given text string)

Last edited by Luciano Primrose, Dec 24, 2016
  9. kurocygnus

kurocygnus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2015
    Brazil
    Only works with saves from powersave? Or could work by backing up a save using JKSM?

10. BioObstSalat

BioObstSalat Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Guys, i have a problem.
    I didnĀ“t find my private header. I use Omega Ruby and Ocarina of Time, in both nothing.
    Any help for me?

11. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBATemp Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    I haven't found 00 00 00 88. I've tried this with a lot of games.
    I have an idea, so, what if i try finding a piece of text that is similar to someone's private header.

12. BioObstSalat

BioObstSalat Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I have the same problem and that could work.

13. EdwardScissorhand

EdwardScissorhand Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2017
    United States
    Does this tutorial still work for anyone?
    I followed it with Steel Diver and Super Smash Bro with Powersaves 1.21 and it doesn't seem to work. There's no 16 (or 48) bytes of FF anywhere close to the filename. I am using Windows 10.

Last edited by EdwardScissorhand, Jan 18, 2017
  14. Eddie McArdle

Eddie McArdle Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2016
    I'm having the same issue. Can't find my steel diver header anywhere on HXD :(

15. Phoenixal

Phoenixal Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2017
    Gambia, The
    I tried Beyblade Evolution, Pokemon Moon, Steel diver, saw no 00 00 00 88 or 48 FF's and second method "not found" is there something to do for me?

16. dazw

dazw Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    Gambia, The
    I just extracted 5 Headers with 3DS PowerSaves 1.45 :hrth:

I tried it with this tutorial, but i couldn't find anywhere the 00 00 00 88 bytes.
    There where two problems to solve:

1. no 00 00 00 88
    2. no 88 near FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF, due to A LOT OF FF ;)

These were my stept to extract the header:

1. Delete or move all Backup-Files from your save folder (as described in this tutorial)
    2. Start PowerSaves and create a backup called "gbatemp", but WAIT until alle code are fully loaded (don't know if it's important, but i did it).
    3. Click the Backup (gbatemp) and minimize PowerSaves
    4. Start HxD, open PowerSaves and search for "gbatemp).bin".
    5. Click at the next byte after the current highlited and search for "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" (HEX).
    6. Look 16 bytes before the first found "FF....". If there ist an 88, copy the 16 bytes between the 88 and FF....
    7. If there is nothing, look again for "gbatemp).bin" and search backwards. Perfom the check described in 6.

Till now, this is similar to the tutorial, but i couldn't find the 88 near the FF...

8. If you don't suceed, delete the "gbatemp" inside PowerSaver and close HxD and PowerSaves
    9. Reopen PowerSaves and create a new backup "gbatemp".
    10. Select gbatemp
    11. Minimize PowerSaves
    12. Start HxD and perform the steps from 4-12.

I found 4 headers after gbatemp).bin and one header before it, but i found them all. I've tested ONE header so far and tried to find the header for one game twice (deleted gbatemp etc) and found the same bytes twice.

In my case, there was never a 00 00 00 88. One time, it was a 00 1D 00 88 (i don't remember the others).

I hope it works for you all ;)

Last edited by dazw, Mar 16, 2017
  17. gengardenne

gengardenne GBAtemp Regular

Nov 14, 2016
    Italy
    The easy method don't work for me because when I click on "find" that string code it give me : error impossible find that result or something similar.
    On method 2 instead I don't find the 00 00 00 88 string above/down my gba)temp.bin
    I'm trying the method with my moon cartridge.
    Can I have help to fix one of these methods?

(I did a backup with savedatafiler and not with NTR plugin or savedatafilter.It's the same right?)

18. Atlantis_Risen

Atlantis_Risen Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    United States
    I've been trying this for a while now, but my problem is that when I run HxD and select extras > open RAM, there is no powersaves3ds listed there. I've tried many times. Any ideas?