Tutorial  Updated

Gateway CTRBootManager Setup - Auto Boot

(Sorry about the delay in getting this guide up, work has been killing me and i havent had much time. I appreciate the patience :) )

NOTE: This is only possible on firmwares 9.0-9.2 sysnand at the moment. This is due to the fact that 9.2 is the highest GW supported version, and 9.0 is the minimum version if you are on a non japan 3ds as themes were introduced in 8.1.

As a baseline for each of the tutorials, you need to have a running copy of the homebrew launcher running in some way. This could be done by the web browser, cubic ninja, or whatever other entry point available. A full list can be found here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

This guide will assume you have the following files on your SD card and up to date with the latest homebrew starter kit available at http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ . It will also assume you have Gateway already running and working. This is not a support thread for ether of these. There are plenty of guides around on how to setup gateway as well as the homebrew launcher. If you have both of these running and working you are good to go.

YOUR EMUNAND AND SYSNAND SHOULD BE UNLINKED AND YOU NEED TO BE RUNNING THE HOMEBREW LAUNCHER FROM SYSNAND.

1. Homemenuhax Installation

You need homemenuhax for this to work, its a entry point for the homebrew launcher that runs whenever you boot your 3ds.

To install it, you need to use the entry point you normally use to get into the homebrew launcher. Once in you want to use the piece of homebrew that comes with the starter kit called "menuhax_manager". Use the install option and go through the prompts to install the hack. After, go to the configure option. This will determine when the hack boots into the homebrew launcher and when it wont. I prefer using type 2 and using the L button. This means when you hold the L button on boot, it will kick you to sysnand. And when you dont, it will boot into the homebrew launcher. Or in our case, it will be CTRBootManager which will automatically boot into emunand. Take your choice and then move onto the next section.

At this point you should be able to restart your 3DS and if you used the type and button i did for homemenuhax it should automatically boot into the homebrew launcher when not holding the button and kick you into sysnand when you are. If not, retry and make sure your setup is correct before moving onto the next step.

2. Gateway Homebrew Launcher

The first gateway release to have the gateway homebrew entry point is 3.6.1. The files are only available starting in this version.

In the release there is a zip file called GW_3dsx.zip Open it and copy the 3ds folder to the root of your 3DS SD card. Now boot your 3DS back into the homebrew launcher, you should see the gateway option in the list now. Try using it, if it boots you into emunand you are good to go.

3. CTRBootManager Setup

At this point your 3DS should automatically boot into the homebrew launcher and you have a gateway item in the homebrew list that boots you into emunand. If this is not so, go back and get that working before moving on.

Put your SD back into your computer and you should have the following files on your SD card

/3ds/GW/GW.3dsx - Gateway Homebrew
/3ds/GW/GW.smdh - Gateway Homebrew
/Launcher.dat - Gateway Launcher
/boot.3dsx - The Homebrew Launcher

So do the following in this order:
1. Rename /boot.3dsx to homebrew.3dsx
2. Download and extract CTRBootManager to the root of your SD. All files in the zip should be copied https://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/
3. Copy the following into the boot.cfg file on the root of the SD. Replace everything in the file!

Code:
boot_config :
{
  timeout = 0;
  autobootfix = 2;
  recovery = 8;
  default = 0;
  entries = (
    {
      title = "Gateway";
      path = "/3ds/GW/GW.3dsx";
    },
    {
      title = "Homebrew";
      path = "/homebrew.3dsx";
    } );
};

The "timeout = 0;" can be changed to specify the amount of time before it automatically boots the default item. In this case it is 0 to specify that it should boot automatically,
The "autobootfix = 2;" Is a fix for auto booting when timeout is 0. I am on a N3DS and 2 seems to work best for me, play around with it and see what works best for you. 8 was the recommended value for O3DS and 3 for N3DS.
The "recovery = 8;" is the button used when you want to get to the boot menu while booting if you have timeout set to 0. 8 is the R button, so holding R will take you into the boot menu when booting. A list of keycodes that can be used can be found here: https://goo.gl/4XLDIL
The "default = 0;" is the index of the item to boot to by default. It starts at 0 with the first item in the list being 0, then 1, etc.
The entries section contains the list of boot items. My default config contains a entry for Gateway and one for the homebrew launcher. This can be customized but needs to have the same format. You can add items from the boot menu on the 3DS if you dont feel comfortable editing it by hand.

At this point your 3DS SD Card Should Have The Following

/3ds/GW/GW.3dsx - Gateway Homebrew
/3ds/GW/GW.smdh - Gateway Homebrew
/Launcher.dat - Gateway Launcher
/boot.3dsx - CTRBootManager
/boot.cfg - CTRBootManager Config File
/homebrew.3dsx - The Homebrew Launcher

If all of this is good, you should be able to put it back into your 3DS and boot it.

With my default configuration the following happens:
No buttons held: Will automatically boot into emunand
L button held: Will boot into sysnand.
R button held: will boot into the CTRBootManager menu with options to boot into gateway and the homebrew launcher.

This is a initial version of my guide and i may have missed things or messed something, if you find anything wrong please feel free to let me know so i can fix it.

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE REPORTING ISSUES OR ASKING QUESTIONS!

Last edited by VeryCrushed,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not really sure if a separate tutorial basically just for editing CtrBootManager's boot.cfg was really necessary, if not confuses more people than it actually helps. It's nothing more than what's described in the actual CtrBootManager thread, but only specific for Gateway.

artur3004

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
easiest way - cartridge update OR search for an o3ds 9.2 full cia package then install them via fbi

cartridge update:
For EU, you can use tomodatchi life rev 2, garening mama: forest friends or cooking mama bon appetit.
For US: only SSB3DS rev 2

Last edited by artur3004,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
You could also use a rom with 9.2 update. Boot Gateway in classic mode without emunand on the SD card. While choosing classic mode you have to hold dpad up (I am not totally sure it is the correct one). Then starting the game it will want you to update your sysnand. To be on the safe side I would disconnect internet so it doesn't grab the latest update from there.

I have never tried this myself but it should work. Anyone have any experience with it that could comment?

I was corrected. Don't follow this, apparantly it can brick your 3DS. Sorry...

Last edited by petspeed,

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You could also use a rom with 9.2 update. Boot Gateway in classic mode without emunand on the SD card. While choosing classic mode you have to hold dpad up (I am not totally sure it is the correct one). Then starting the game it will want you to update your sysnand. To be on the safe side I would disconnect internet so it doesn't grab the latest update from there.

I have never tried this myself but it should work. Anyone have any experience with it that could comment?
How do i know which rom has the 9.2 update?

Xsiide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

Don't do this. It will brick your console, GW blocks native_firm update. You can use RxTools DEV MODE + sysupdater, there is a guide for this.

DarklyKnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Thank you so much for this tutorial! Was waiting for this as I was having some trouble figuring about all these Homebrews. Took me twice to figured out how to access HBL using the browserhax (Supposed to max zoom in, and touch the most right scroll thingy), other than that, it works flawlessly! I am now able to straightaway boot to Gateway! Thank you again @VeryCrushed !

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Don't do this. It will brick your console, GW blocks native_firm update. You can use RxTools DEV MODE + sysupdater, there is a guide for this.
I wasn't aware of this. I have read several people on this forum saying this can be done but it was a long time ago. When did that change?

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Do you have a link to this guide? I can't seem to find it.

Pretty sure you are thinking of how you update emunand. It can be done to update emunand, not sysnand.

Sorry I was pretty sure I read that this could be done, but if you all say it's not true I stand corrected. I will edit my post so noone follows that.

VeryCrushed

Devious Prorammer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I was pretty sure I read that this could be done, but if you all say it's not true I stand corrected. I will edit my post so noone follows that.

Yeah, as I recall back about a year ago the recommended way was to just get a game that had the update you wanted on it and update through that way although it costs money. Rxtools method would be the best.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, as I recall back about a year ago the recommended way was to just get a game that had the update you wanted on it and update through that way although it costs money. Rxtools method would be the best.

If all of this is good, you should be able to put it back into your 3DS and boot it.

R button held: will boot into the CTRBootManager menu with options to boot into gateway and the homebrew launcher.

Did the exact options as you say. Have all the files on sd. However when configuring homemenuhax. I press type 2 and it asks for a button, I press L, and then Touchscreen. As you said you had the L button here. But the program returns 0x0 No buttons.. that can't be good can it..?

Not sure what you mean however. If I turn on 3ds it should boot auto in emunand without me selecting nds profile?? I understand correctly?

Because right now it surely doesn't... even after doing all this.

VeryCrushed

Devious Prorammer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did the exact options as you say. Have all the files on sd. However when configuring homemenuhax. I press type 2 and it asks for a button, I press L, and then Touchscreen. As you said you had the L button here. But the program returns 0x0 No buttons.. that can't be good can it..?

Not sure what you mean however. If I turn on 3ds it should boot auto in emunand without me selecting nds profile?? I understand correctly?

Because right now it surely doesn't... even after doing all this.
If the button wasn't correct in homemenuhax I'm not sure. Are you up to date on the starter kit?

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If the button wasn't correct in homemenuhax I'm not sure. Are you up to date on the starter kit?

Yes I am.

If I hold R it boots up homemenuhax directly and gw. Awesome!!
If I hold L nothing happens, just sysnand.
If I do nothing I get returned to sysnand. not emunand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap.