From 9.2 (or any lower firmware) to CFW 4.5, without Gateway

Preparation

Hardware Requirements:
  • A Windows PC
  • A 3DS on 9.2 or lower
  • A SD Card reader or some other adapter to allow you to copy files from your PC to the SD
  • A DS flashcard that works on 4.5 (R4i, etc),
  • A SD Card (preferably 16 GB to hold games, but even 4 GB should work)
Software Download Links:

Part 1 - Downgrading

1. Copy the Gateway Launcher.dat and Gateway.dg file to your SD Card.
  2. Turn off wifi and open the 3DS Browser. Go into the settings and delete cookies/cache.
  3. Optionally, reboot your 3DS.
  4. Navigate to the browser with wifi on this time, and go to go.gateway-3ds.com.
  5. The exploit will now load. Go over the options using the D-Pad and backup your NAND.
  6. After the NAND backup is done, power off the 3DS by holding down the power button. Put the SD Card into your computer, and copy the NAND.bin somewhere safe. This is your fail-safe, so don’t lose it!
  7. Put the SD card back into the console, with the NAND.bin still on it.
  8. Go run the downgrade process (it’s the last one in the menu). Wait for it to finish. Once it’s done, reboot your system. Put the SD card into the computer and ensure Launcher.dat is still on it. Do not delete NAND.bin just yet.

Part 2 - Installing CFW

1. Now, copy the GW Installer DS file to your DS flashcard. Pop it into the console and run that file from your flashcard. When it’s done, press home and go into System Settings. Go into other settings —> profile and tap DS Profile. The Gateway menu will load once again. This time, run the format emuNand process. When it’s done, shutdown your 3DS.
  2. Pop the SD Card back into your PC. Run the emuNand tool you downloaded earlier and press “Extract emuNand”. Save the file as emuNand.bin somewhere.
  3. Now, drag the emuNand.bin onto the bat file that was downloaded. After a while, a resulting REDNAND.bin will appear.
  4. In the emuNand tool, press “Inject NAND into emuNAND”. Select the REDNAND.bin file, and just ignore the warnings about not finding NAND.bin.
  5. After it’s done, delete everything on the SD card. It should only be a LAUNCHER.DAT file.
  6. Now, copy everything from the SD Card folder in Palantine CFW onto the SD card. Delete the launcher.dat, and rename the launcher_gw.dat to launcher.dat
  7. Insert the SD card into the console and boot up. It will create software management information. Take the SD card out again and open it on your computer.
  8. Now, in your SD card, there should be a Nintendo 3DS folder. Open it, and open the folder inside that. There should be another, so open that too. You should see a exdata folder.
  9. Make a new folder (not inside the exdata folder, but in the same directory as it) called “dbs”. Go into the folder and make a blank text file, named “title.db” or “import.db”. Doesn’t matter which.
  10. Insert the SD back into the system and go into Settings —> Data Management —> Software. It’ll ask to reset your software management information, so allow it to do so.
  11. Now, go into Other —> Profile. Hold down the L button, and tap DS Profile. If all goes well, the bottom screen will flash white and the CFW will load. If not, simply reboot the system by holding down power and trying again. Make sure to hold L while you do it.
  12. Now, once you’ve gotten into CFW, you’ll need your 3DS’ IP Address. You can use the tool you downloaded earlier (the network scanner) to find the devices from Nintendo. Note the IP (usually looks like 192.168.1.1xx)
  13. Edit the run.bat file in the Palantine CIA folder. Replace the DevMenu_2x.cia part with the name of your CIA, and the IPTOMODIFY with your IP.

Code:
installcia IPTOMODIFY 1 DevMenu_2x.cia

Code:
installcia 192.168.1.155 1 DevMenu_2x.cia

22. Now execute run.bat by double clicking on it. It should return result-code of 0.

• If you get a failed to connect, make sure the IP is correct and the 3DS is connected to the Internet.
  • If there’s another return code, try steps 8 and onward again.

23. Once you’ve succeeded, press Power —> Home and unwrap your new gift. You can now enter the CFW without holding L using the regular way.

Installing CIAs

1. Find a CIA to install. Google is your friend.
  2. Copy the CIA to your SD Card.
  3. Use the standard method to get into the CFW. Open the DevMenu and import away.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
You should note, sometimes it is necessary to have an e-shop downloaded title on your SD card for the gift box to show up on your emuNAND menu. The best way to do this would be to either:
a) Get a gateway and use latest emunand to download a demo
b) Transfer the files from an SD card backup from before you formatted emuNAND that has a demo or something on it

Also, I have a problem where the 3DS randomly deletes some SD card titles. Of course I can't launch them since they are encrypted differently, but it deleted these from the CFW:
Ambassador Certificate
Fantasy Life (installed from devmenu)
Devmenu
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire demo

Any ideas?

thuytinh266

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have problem. I am be able to go to CFW and obtain the right IP of my 3ds. I did write my ID to run bat. and even disable my router internet security. However anytime I run the run.bat I get error ctrclinne: failed to connect

anyone please help

try many way like turn off the wifi when it fail connect.(however it freeze when I turn on wifi again). Go to internet browser (however can not load any page because it freeze whenever click on something). turn off wifi password and firewall.

No solution for me. So I guess just wait for a better CFW then.

:yayps3:

TheFlash-55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, along with any firmware-spoofed games. Newer games with 7.x+ save encryption won't work, however.

It's not dangerous per se, just more tricky to setup and has less benefits than GW.

Format the SD Card completely and restart from Step 1.

The CFW is just sysNand, if you update it, you'll end up with a 9.4 3DS. Bad idea.

Format system memeory, format SD Card.

Can you show me the output of the wifi scanner? Ensure your 3DS has wifi on and connected.

Maybe if you have no eShop games and no money for a Gateway, then yes. Or if you're just bored, yes. But as a long-term solution? Not until we get a higher version CFW, or the ability to install CIAs on a bootable emuNAND without GW.

Nevermind I fixed it magically.I tried a lot and my pc saw my 3ds's ip.I used 3ds's ip and BOOM it worked :D
Edit: CFW is very buggy.I need to try a lot to boot to cfw.Everytime it freezes.

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am stuck on part 4. once i enter go.gateway-3ds.com it says fail to load page and just closes. im on 4.4.0-10U if that matters. oh one more question in case i get further when you say you need a ds flash cart do u mean ds only? or including 3ds. i have the r4igold deluxe atm is it okay?

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am stuck on part 4. once i enter go.gateway-3ds.com it says fail to load page and just closes. im on 4.4.0-10U if that matters. oh one more question in case i get further when you say you need a ds flash cart do u mean ds only? or including 3ds. i have the r4igold deluxe atm is it okay?

Do you have Launcher.dat on the SD? Clear cookies + cache in the browser and try again.

R4i Gold is fine if it works on 4.5 or below. You only need a DS card.

thuytinh266

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have question. at last I be able to install DevMenu. however when I turn my 3ds off and turn on again DevMenu disappear. It only appear when I go to CFW again( by hold L and click ds lite profile).

Do I have to go to CFW to be able to open DevMenu and my games?. Is that any other way to go to CFW without hold L??????

on the quotation write
23. Once you’ve succeeded, press Power —> Home and unwrap your new gift. You can now enter the CFW without holding L using the regular way.

how do I use the regular way????

can someone help me please

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have Launcher.dat on the SD? Clear cookies + cache in the browser and try again.

R4i Gold is fine if it works on 4.5 or below. You only need a DS card.

yeah i have the launcher in my sd card still no go after clearing cookies/cache and even restarting the 3ds

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have question. at last I be able to install DevMenu. however when I turn my 3ds off and turn on again DevMenu disappear. It only appear when I go to CFW again( by hold L and click ds lite profile).

Do I have to go to CFW to be able to open DevMenu and my games?. Is that any other way to go to CFW without hold L??????

on the quotation write

how do I use the regular way????

can someone help me please

Regular way is to just load the DS Profile without holding L. Yes, you need to load the CFW to install CIAs.

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, maybe it's your internet connection. Try another connection or the Android app posted in the Tutorials forum.

hm i tapped the screen by accident and it worked aha. okay now i have a backup of my nand. do i still do the downgrade step even though im on 4.4? should i be on 4.5 before even moving further?

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hm i tapped the screen by accident and it worked aha. okay now i have a backup of my nand. do i still do the downgrade step even though im on 4.4? should i be on 4.5 before even moving further?

If you're on 4.5, you don't need to do the downgrade step. Just make sure you keep your NAND.bin safe somewhere.

thuytinh266

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regular way is to just load the DS Profile without holding L. Yes, you need to load the CFW to install CIAs.

This way sometime work and do not work right?

Is anyway easier to goto CFW with only one try???

or keep the CFW??

any way I can open game that I installed without open CFW

Chaldron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This way sometime work and do not work right?

Is anyway easier to goto CFW with only one try???

or keep the CFW??

any way I can open game that I installed without open CFW

Yeah, CFW is very buggy as of now. It takes a lo of tries to open it, and no the only way is to keep trying. You could leave the 3DS in sleep mode once you're in the CFW.

You must boot into the CFW to play games you have installed.

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, CFW is very buggy as of now. It takes a lo of tries to open it, and no the only way is to keep trying. You could leave the 3DS in sleep mode once you're in the CFW.

if it doesnt work the top screen will stay a bluish color right? and the bottom is black

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. If the screen flashes white for a brief moment, it means it worked. Just wait a couple of seconds for it to load into CFW.

EDIT: this is for step 11 btw
EDIT2: just to clarify the LAUNCHER.dat from step 5 is replaced because we copy the content from the cfw folder onto the root?

okay so i've tried about like 10 times already the bottom flashes white temporarily then the top stays bluish and bottom stays black nothing happens. oh and by the way what happened to steps 14-21?

thuytinh266

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

thank you

Seiferkill

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Any solutions for that ?

17f19d21dc.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users