• Total voters

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, or course it did if the IP updater did its work.
now do it without your computer powered or without the IP-updater launched.

see if changing the IP but with OpenDNS NOT updated is still blocking your URLs listed on your account.

as OpenDNS doesn't use an account system (on WiiU you set their DNS IP, not your name/password), it can only recognize your setup based on your current IP.
There's no way to specify "if my IP change, keep the old blocked URL as blocked".

What would be useful is an option like this :
if no IP match the user database, then block all URLs except OpenDNS.
but again it's not 100% safe in case of IP collision as it will use the previous user's setup, but a lot more safe than using their default setup.

It's only a concern for users with dynamic IPs and with either computer's powered OFF or application not launched.
But I think it's important to mention it.
Don't think you are safe because you edited the DNS IP on your console. To be safe you need a full working setup. (console DNS + computer ON + ip updater + updated openDNS dashboard)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aggh After read 5 pages. So there are no problem if I still use my router filter all these URL ?

Absolutely none, really the main benefit to this method is that it won't affect any of your other devices and you can use it even if you don't have access to router filtering

ALSO!
I WOULD LIKE TO ADVISE EVERYONE TO BLOCK ONE MORE ADDRESS: c.shop.nintendowifi.net
There should be no issues with not, but it is another domain that is associated to the eShop, and may potentially store updates. I have added this domain to the list of domains that should be blocked and removed the "should look like this:" picture, but be aware that the video tutorial is now out of date (I will probably remove that anyway, since someone was being a dick to Darkflare's IP address)

Reactions: the_randomizer

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way I can do this without a sign up the login ? I do not want to login just for blocking Wii U update if I decide to buy a Wii U in the near future.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
is someone willing to try something while we still are on 5.3.2?
block only the 3 "nus.cdn.xxxxx" servers and try to access eshop.

I did this on my 4.0.2, but I don't have NNID/eshop account.
The updates are downloaded from nus.cdn, so if nintendo are serving eshop games and demos on another server it will work while keeping updates blocked.

I tried the ccproxy filtering, but it's not ideal as ccproxy is providing custom reply instead of blocking URL.
I think OpenDNS is also serving custom html reply.
as a custom page is served to the WiiU, the WiiU is saving that page content as if it was the expected file's content from NUS.
After the console downloaded all the update files it tries to install the update but fail and delete the fake files. (I did it twice without bricking)

I would like confirmation that eShop is accessible if you block only nus.cdn.
if it's not possible, then there's no advantage of downloading fake files and blocking every URLs is safer.

If it works, then I would recommend using another blocking software or DNS website which correctly block URLs instead of replying custom messages.
You will get eshop and online access while blocking updates.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The updates are downloaded from nus.cdn, so if nintendo are serving eshop games and demos on another server it will work while keeping updates blocked.

I tried the ccproxy filtering, but it's not ideal as ccproxy is providing custom reply instead of blocking URL.
as a custom page is served to the WiiU, the WiiU is saving that page content as if it was the expected file's content from NUS.
After the console downloaded all the update files it tries to install the update but fail and delete the fake files. (I did it twice without bricking)

if it's not possible, then there's no advantage of downloading fake files and blocking every URLs are safer.

If it works, then I would recommend using another blocking software or DNS website which correctly block URLs instead of replying custom messages.

I'm working on this, I will do this (and some other things for the 'temp I've been meaning to get to) this weekend when I have both the time and resources. I will report back and edit the OP with an "eShop Accessible" version if it does work while still blocking.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if it's not possible, then there's no advantage of downloading fake files and blocking every URLs are safer.

Intriguing and nice find, if we can truly find a balance between blocking update server IP addresses while retaining online gaming functionality...man, it would be awesome :P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried blocking the urls in HOST file, but it's still able to get online.
it's downloading 0 byte files instead of trying the same file again. It looks like nintendo doesn't have a file size check at download time.
It's downloading everything and then it's checking files before updating.

it's the 3rd time I'm download wrong files now, it was scary the first time as I didn't know if it would brick or delete before installing, but it seems safe.
it's always scary to see "please wait..." after reboot instead of profile selection screen.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's downloading 0 byte files instead of trying the same file again. It looks like nintendo doesn't have a file size check at download time.

So, does that mean a perfect balance of not updating and going online can be achieved..?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Interesting... So it is literally downloading a blank file that gets rejected upon the install attempt?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's what I want to know.
Not updating : Check (even if scary to see it downloading empty files)
online play : Check (Already possible by blocking only the 6 URLs from the tutorial)
Eshop access : ... you tell me

if you try, let me know where the game/demo data are downloaded from.
if it's cdn too, then it will download fake files.
if it's another server, it should work fine.
OpenDNS has an access log page to see which URL was requested.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do I get the impression that TotalInsanity4 is intentionally ignoring my questions I ask him about using OpenDNS to achieve both online gameplay but also preventing Nintendo's update servers from installing updates on the Wii U? Was I in the wrong for wanting clarification and for wanting to be sure that a balance can be done with this method?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do I get the impression that TotalInsanity4 is intentionally ignoring my questions I ask him about using OpenDNS to achieve both online gameplay but also preventing Nintendo's update servers from installing updates on the Wii U? Was I in the wrong for wanting clarification and for wanting to be sure that a balance can be done with this method?

Because I'm in school and posting in my free time :P Yes, in theory it can be achieved, but it would be significantly riskier, which is why I would rather test it than just add it to the OP. If you want to test as well to make sure my results are accurate, go ahead, just remember that if you aren't on the latest FW it might end up updating

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I'm in school and posting in my free time :P Yes, in theory it can be achieved, but it would be significantly riskier, which is why I would rather test it than just add it to the OP. If you want to test as well to make sure my results are accurate, go ahead, just remember that if you aren't on the latest FW it might end up updating

I didn't know you were in school, so that's my bad. I'm already on 5.3.2 I just don't want Nintendo to pull a fast one and release a new FW. Sorry...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed