[Tutorial] Blocking WiiU Update Domains With OpenDNS

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by TotalInsanity4, Apr 4, 2015.

?

Was this helpful?

1. Yes! I understood it and my Wii U is currently safe from updates!

74.4%
  2. Uhhhh, no... That's a lot of words...

11.0%
  3. No, but I set up my DNS settings in spite of your horribly written tutorial

8.5%
  4. Well... I followed it, but I can't get it to work for the life of me!

6.1%
  1. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Does the same hold true for game updates? If I block that URL will I be notified if a game has an update when I launch it? Also, what are the disadvantages, if any, of your Wii U knowing that there is an available system update?

2. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I was never notified about the last SSB update, until I eventually went ahead and did update it. The disadvantage of your system knowing about the update, is that you could potentially be bugged to update. It's just one more address to block, and I think well worth the trouble.

3. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Thanks you for the reply. Now that TubeHAX and ChickenwingDNS (or whatever it's called) are down I'm using localDNS as a DNS server on my HTPC. The "tagaya.wup.shop.nintendo.net" domain is set to be blocked. I kind of liked being notified of game updates but I'd rather the Wii U not know about system updates.

Edit: It looks like I can use Wii U USB helper to check for updates. When a downloaded game doesn't have the most current update (or no update at all) the update tag is orange instead of green. Awesome!

Last edited by DocAmes1980, Dec 4, 2016
    Ailuros27 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  4. ozzy8143

ozzy8143 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2016
    what is the correct numbers to go in dns because the ones it this guide dont work.

5. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Go to the loadiine.ovh site and copy them from there.

6. ozzy8143

ozzy8143 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2016
    thanks

7. Tubarao

Tubarao Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2013
    Setúbal
    Any new URL to add? I want to block updates but continue playing my original games online.

url.png

Thank you.

8. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    You don't need to block tagaya, and doing so will prevent notification of games that need updates as well. Otherwise your list is the same as I'm blocking on my DNS servers as well.

9. from_hell_with_love

from_hell_with_love Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2017
    Nigeria
    I know this might be a stupid question. But is it safe to have one connection which is unblocked and another one which blocks update? Or will the WIIU try all connections once an update is available?

10. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    There's no good reason to risk letting your Wii U pick the wrong one. If you really want to run with an unfiltered DNS, follow http://WiiU.guide/ to get a RedNAND configured and run from that without the filtering.