[Tutorial] 3DS Screen Recording without a Capture Card (NTR CFW Method)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by NekoMichi, Apr 19, 2016.

1. NetBoy

NetBoy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks KunoichiZ and NekoMichi! Damn, it’s a shame to hear that I have to use OBS. I tried it already when I couldn’t figure out full screen (because it turns out it doesn’t exist lol). The reason why I didn’t want to use OBS is because it makes the video latency higher, but meh I suppose it doesn’t really matter if I can’t get the latency lower anyway.
    The fix for the wireless is much appreciated - never thought of doing everything that way round!
    Thanks both of you so much!

NekoMichi and KunoichiZ like this.

2. RonPlays32

RonPlays32 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2017
    United States
    For some reason my macbook still isn't picking it up. I look up my ip address on the hombrew channel.

3. RonPlays32

RonPlays32 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2017
    United States
    Lies! I got it to work. Disregard please and thanks.

4. jaderocc

jaderocc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    hey yall! so it's been like 8 months since i've tried streaming. i just grabbed nitromac and it's amazing, except for one thing - how do i play sun/moon lol????

i tried send mem patch from the nitrostream gtk which is what i did before, but it still doesn't do anything. i googled around and this thread was the only result, but reading through i didn't find what i was looking for.. i'm sure it's just an update or something i've skimmed over and missed, but can anybody point me in the right direction?? thank you!!

5. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    wow I just discovered you could actually stream N3DS to your PC. this makes me want to buy a new 3ds myself. just wondering though, do you feel a noticeable lag when playing?

6. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Depends. Lately I've recorded stuff from Sun/Moon and Omega Ruby, and it was very smooth, namely because of this program.

https://github.com/gameincanada/kit-kat-slim/releases/tag/2.0.1

The program it forks from on the other hand just stopped streaming smoothly for me in the last couple months. It helps to be as close to your wireless router as possible. I'm always in my bedroom where the router is, so yeah.

7. j3yps

j3yps GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2015
    Manila, Ph
    NiTRoMac works great (though i think i still need to find a good setting for it, because the recording playback from OBS is a big jittery and not as smooth as the videos posted in this thread) on my Retina MacBook Pro running Sierra. Downside to this is that my rMBP is a BTO so the hardware is more than enough for the processing, but it's one of those macs where the built in Mic/Headphones port doesn't have a line-in function anymore. On the other hand i have an old MacBook Pro that i use for the majority of my 3DS "hacking" has the port needed for me to capture audio, unfortunately NiTRoMac isn't compatible with OSX 10.10 (according to the error, it will work only on 10.12 and up). I sent a message to Darkten, but the last time that he was seen on gbatemp was last April. Hope he gets to see my message.

BTW i tried altering the .plist of NiTRoMac but it did not helped at all haha

8. IceBlueLugia

IceBlueLugia Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2016
    United States
    It's REALLY laggy, I'm not really sure why. My router has the recommended specs and lowered the picture quality but it's still laggy.

Sometimes when I'm playing I accidentally hit X and Y at the same time which brings up the menu, which gets annoying, and sometimes it glitches games, like Paper Jam. I tried going into the hotkey section but when I press A to change it, it just brings me back to the main menu. Can someone help?

9. j3yps

j3yps GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2015
    Manila, Ph
    I bought myself a cheap USB Sound Card to be able to capture audio on my Retina Macbook Pro. Another problem arises, it looks like the NTRViewer included in NiTRoMac is very CPU intensive when paired with OBS.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to minimize it's CPU usage, i'm all ears/eyes.

I've attached the specs to my rMBP, for reference.

Attached Files:

10. NekoMichi
    OP

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Which version of OBS are you using? I had similar problems before updating to the latest version. But even then, it can still occasionally be a bit wonky.

11. j3yps

j3yps GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2015
    Manila, Ph
    I'm using the latest version OBS Studio. It sounds like the fans on my rMBP had a pitcher of redbull haha

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12. Damon_girl

Damon_girl GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Can someone help me? I can't get Nitromac to work and I'm sure I did everything right. I put in my ip address, activated NTR on my New 3DS, and when I click on the 3DS icon on the right it does nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

13. j3yps

j3yps GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2015
    Manila, Ph
    After activating NTR, make sure that DEBUGGING is enabled.

To enable it, press Y+X the highlight the option to enable debugging and press A

14. Pogohg

Pogohg Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2017
    Denmark
    Has anyone tested if this works for the New 2DS XL too? I was thinking of getting that because it's cheaper and the Micro SD slot is placed better.

15. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    It works with the N2DS XL.

16. j3yps

j3yps GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2015
    Manila, Ph
    Hi, can you share how you managed to fix the high cpu usage?

17. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Sorry, I was never able to fix it. I ended up using the Windows version instead.

18. Pogohg

Pogohg Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2017
    Denmark
    Do you just use the same files and do you install it the same way?

19. j3yps

j3yps GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2015
    Manila, Ph
    I complied a new NTRViewer with a smaller footprint than the one inside NiTRoMac, so far I've seen minimal improvements. But the CPU usage gets lower the longer you use the viewer

20. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Yep, same process.