[Tutorial] 3DS Screen Recording without a Capture Card (NTR CFW Method)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by NekoMichi, Apr 19, 2016.

1. NekoMichi
    OP

Member NekoMichi Retro Collector

United Kingdom
    If you have an Android or iOS device, download the free app Fing to scan your wireless network. Your 3DS should show up under the name "Nintendo".

2. PikaStitch

Newcomer PikaStitch Advanced Member

United States
    I have an Apple Airport Express router with 2.4/5 GHz simultaneous dual-band operation, 802.11a/b/g/n, 150 mbps, and ethernet ports. Would this be able to stream Pokemon Sun/Moon smoothly without it getting choppy/laggy? (Sorry, really new at this)

3. darkten

Member darkten GBAtemp Regular

United States
    "It depends" :) Part of this is based on your computer's performance, but any reasonable modern Mac running Sierra should be suitable.

4. PikaStitch

Newcomer PikaStitch Advanced Member

United States
    Funny thing is I don't own any macs (prefer pc), just my router is apple. But thank you :)

5. Cleibson

Newcomer Cleibson Newbie

Brazil
    Hi fellas. How I boot Ds games in kit-kat(upgrade of the NTR view) I want Record Castlevania Dawn of sorrow and Castlevania portait of ruins. Thanks everybody

6. NekoMichi
    OP

United Kingdom
    At the moment, that is not possible. NTR runs as an additional layer on top of the 3DS firmware but when you boot DS games, the console actually quits the 3DS firmware and enters the DSi firmware mode. As a result, NTR also gets terminated and screen capture won't work.

7. OfficialFBomb

Member OfficialFBomb GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Has this been updated to support 11.2, I would love to be able to record game play and use cheats..

8. KunoichiZ

Member KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

United States
    BootNTR Selector works on 11.2, provided that you have CFW and recording only works on n3DS systems.

9. OfficialFBomb

United States
    Yes and yes lol just unfortunately on 11.2, how would I got about using bootntr, and is it both screen recording and real time cheats?

10. KunoichiZ

Member KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yes it is. If you have CFW, just follow the tutorial in the first post to get BootNTR and screen recording up and running.

OfficialFBomb likes this.
  11. OfficialFBomb

United States
    Thank you :) i guess the guide i found was really really old, i looked here but i think i just plain missed this until today.

12. NekoMichi
    OP

United Kingdom
    Just wondering, what causes the lower frame rates and performance drop when attempting to stream at higher scale factors (e.g. 4x)? When using the original NTR Viewer setup on Windows I didn't notice any difference in performance between 1x and 4x. Is it a Mac-specific limitation?

13. SPYPSY

Newcomer SPYPSY Member

Puerto Rico
    My 3ds isnt connecting to nitrostream i get
    A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

14. Bordex

Newcomer Bordex Newbie

Spain
    I guys i'm having a problem connecting from the debugger to the n3DS, I've located the problem and it is the following:

My computer motherboard is using the awful "KillerLan Ethernet adapter" thus my computer is located in other network different from the rest of the devices of my homek indeed ip from computer is 93.XXX.XXX.XXX and the one from 3ds 192.XXX.XXX.XXX

I run WNetWatcher from either my laptom and desktop computer, the one on the 192 network finds the ip from the 3ds, but it is not finded when running WNetWatcheron the KillerLan network.

I've tested from my laptop if i was able to connect, and i could stream, however my laptop has a very low performance. Anyone has aany idea of how to solve the KillerLan problem?

15. darkten

United States
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Perhaps the way the window is being scaled is different or the settings are different. I believe tho the scaling is happening on the *3DS* side, making larger image frames, taking more data to emit.

What settings are you seeing to ntrviewer?

16. suxel33

Newcomer suxel33 Newbie

United States
    The NitroStream app crashes whenever i try to click on any of the options, I can still press enter to set the connection, and I can manually change my ip adress via the config, but thats it, and I really watn to change the orientaion of the screen which is impossible when the ui crashes when I click anywhere on the program, Im on windows 10 and installed python, .net, and have the folders in the right spot, its just this program, any help would be appreciated.

17. NekoMichi
    OP

United Kingdom
    I think the scaling method might be different, which could explain why larger NTR Viewer sizes will run at lower frame rate on Mac.

Currently I am streaming the top screen only at 90% quality, it works fine at 2x but visibly drops in frame rate at 3x-4x. On Windows, NTR Viewer scaling is done on the PC side so I get the same frame rate on 4x as on 2x.

18. Piezahummy

Newcomer Piezahummy Member

Tunisia
    I followed all the steps in here but everytime I connect I get a blank window and then this error in Nitro (tranlated from french): Imossible to read data from the connexion. blablabla WSACancelBlockingCall.
    Help me please.

19. darkten

United States

So the view scales when it is resized manually?

I will look at the source code of ntrviewer and see if I see any "aha!" thing but it is a straight compile from the source.

UPDATE - After looking thru the source, what I need to see is the actual cmdline switches being sent to ntrviewer.exe

Last edited by darkten, Jan 8, 2017
    NekoMichi likes this.
  20. jaderocc

Newcomer jaderocc Member

United States
    hey yall. weird problem happening in ntr viewer. i had to format my sd card recently. since then, i'm getting a solid black screen from ntr viewer. i've replaced all of the ntr files, i've got the same ip settings and file structure as before formatting, and still nothing. in nitro stream, i've tried connecting then sending patch, sending patch then connecting, and connecting without patching, and all give me the same result. nitrostream gave me an error at first saying it couldn't locate ntr viewer EDIT: was able to recreate the error, the code it gives me is as follows
    Connecting
    Connected
    Remoteplay Started.
    NTRViewer not found. Config -> Define NTR Viewer path
    Client will disconnect in 10 seconds.
    Unable to read data from the transport connection: interrupted.
    Disconnected
    Disconnected

, so i went in config and pointed it to the proper location, and now i get this:

Connecting
    Connected
    Remoteplay Started.
    Starting NTRViewer.
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): ApplicationName='/Applications/WineStaging.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/wine /Users/Jaderocc/Desktop/NTRViewer/NTRViewer.exe', CommandLine='-l 1 -t 1 -b 1', CurrentDirectory='', Native error= Cannot find the specified file
    at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) [0x001ee] in <bd46d4d4f7964dfa9beea098499ab597>:0

anybody have any idea what i could do about this to get things running normally again?

Last edited by jaderocc, Jan 8, 2017