[Tutorial] “Cleaner” Cold Booting into emuNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Mistie, Jan 24, 2016.

?

Did you find this tutorial useful?

1. Yes! Thank you!

2. Yes! But, I won't be doing this/can't.

3. No! I already did this!

4. No! It was unhelpful!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    • This tutorial assumes you already have emuNAND setup and is built with reiNAND in mind but this should work for others too.
    • Everything in this tutorial will be done from a computer.

Step 1: Make sure you have MenuHax installed on your sysNAND. If not get that setup and make sure it is set to trigger type2! You can do this by going into the app through the homebrew launcher.

Step 2: Take the microSD (or SD) card out of your system and plug it into your computer.

Step 3: Place CtrBootManager to the root of your SD card after renaming it from boot.3dsx” to “ctrm.3dsx” or something else that is exactly 9 characters long and does not conflict with other files. Make sure your HBL is still named “boot.3dsx”.

Step 4: Find the ropbinpayload_menuhax file on the root of your SD card. You will be editing this so back it up to your desktop or somewhere safe.

Step 5: Open the ropbin file with your favourite *hex* editor. (NotePad++ should do)

Step 6: Use the search feature to find anything matching “boot.3sdx” and change it to “ctrm.3dsx” (or whatever you chose instead of this), should be two or three times.

Step 7: Edit your boot.cfg file that is on the root of your SD card. You will want to add a boot entry for what ever method you use to boot into emuNAND. Make sure the offset for whatever method you use to get into emuNAND is "0x12000" for auto booting and have the timeout set to 0.

My boot.cfg

Now hopefully when you restart your 3DS it will autoboot into your emuNAND and while booting into HBL it will just go to hbl normally. Not putting up with ctrbootmanager all the time or worrying about your 3DS crashing because you forgot to stop it from auto booting into emuNAND while already in emuNAND.

Last edited by Mistie, Jan 24, 2016
    Aroth, RayD97, Seriel and 3 others like this.
  2. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    YES THANK YOU!
    Kudos!

3. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    On my N3DS I had autoboot problems with reinand until I made autobootfix value 8. If people have problems with autoboot to reinand try that.

Otherwise good thinking, sometimes the obvious ideas are way too obvious given I myself just renamed my HBlauncher into boob.3dsx and editor launcher ropbins accordingly.

SMVB64 likes this.
  4. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    This looks great, thanks! I had tried getting autoboot working and eventually gave up and went back to the DS profile exploit as it wouldn't behave how I wanted. I didn't even know I was supposed to edit the ropbin file! Might try again now.

How do you change what happens when you hold down a button when it is booting up? I'd love to have it as no button = CFW emunand, button 1 = boot manager in case I want HBL or Gateway (without having to react within 2 seconds), button 2 = SysNAND.

5. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    Holy fuck. What just happened to the site? It wouldn't let me post and then it double posts my posts.

Last edited by DarkenedMatter, Jan 24, 2016
  6. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Protip: Don't change boot.3dsx multiple times. Just change it the first time you find it in the file. See this similar tutorial from a couple of weeks ago.

hmp22 likes this.
  7. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    So you want Menuhax to load without holding a button? I am sorry I should have included this in the tutorial!!!! What you want to do is go into the "menuhax_manager" application in your home-brew menu go to "Configure/check hax trigger buttons(s)..." option Press A to continue. Go down to type 2. Hold your button of choice down and tap the screen. YOU ARE GOOD NOW! :D

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. DarkenedMatter

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    Does this make MenuHax more stable or just cold booting easier?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

RIP this thread to the site freaking out.

9. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    It does not make menuhax more stable it simply makes cold booting more pain free. So your 3DS will boot into emuNAND nicely but still use HBL nicely. Sorry I can't help with menuhax being... Really unstable.

10. DarkenedMatter

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    Yeah I didn't think so. Just figured it may have been a cold booting issue. Thanks though.

11. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I'm actually surprised people didn't know this.. but great tut! Switched to BootCTR as it just made life a tad more convenient for me.

12. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    I didn't know this for the longest time until someone on the reddit page told me. I thought I should post a tut here just so it's easier for people to find :D

AidanLumina and Memoir like this.
  13. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    So, when I do this, do I still have to hold a stupid button when starting up?

14. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    Assuming you have your menuhax set to trigger type2 no.

15. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Even with it set to trigger 2 it won't start without me holding a button. I go into menuhax, press configure, then I select trigger 2 and tap my screen. Once I reboot it won't auto boot. It still has me hold L

16. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    You hold the key you want to set while tapping it. After setting it close menuhax manager and reboot.

17. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    I don't want to set it to a key though. I don't want to have to press anything. I want to be able to start my 3DS and have it automatically boot into HBL

18. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    This will be a key that you hold to boot it normally. setting it to trigger mode 2 will load menuhax automatically UNLESS you hold the key of choice.

19. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Okay, so then its not automatic...I still have to hold a key...

Edit: Nvm, I just got it! Ty!

Last edited by Xanthe, Jan 24, 2016
  20. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    Yes it is automatic. Your 3DS will boot into HBL without you holding any key, but if you need into the regular menu holding your key of choice will open it to there without menuhax even showing up.

21. pofer

pofer GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Spain
    Somewhere around the corner
    I also had this problem, Just delete Menuhax and install it again, it should work it out

just to make things way even more clear

When you set your menuhax to "ColdBoot" using the type 2 trigger, the console will boot in Coldboot whenever there isn't a button held, during the set up , it will ask you to hold a button and then touch the bottom screen for it to get configurated.

Once that's done, just set your timeout to 0 and it will automatically boot you on your emunand whenenever you turn on your console, In my case , I have it as:

Press L while booting = launch my sysnand instead of going to my emunand
    Press Select while booting = Open up the CTRbootmanager in case I wanna use the HBL on my sysnad (since I have configured it to instantly boot into my emunand )
    don't touch anything = go straight into my emunand

22. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    I did this a while ago :ph34r:
    [TUTORIAL] Coldboot w/ Homebrew Launcher Support (menuhax & ctrbootmanager)
    My boot.cfg

23. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    I kinda like Mistie's one a bit more. Sorry, I just found this thread a bit easier to understand :)

24. darkmanwe4ever

darkmanwe4ever Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2007
    Argentina
    Thank you! This helps a lot!

25. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    is this better than using rxtools/reinand's own 3dsx as boot?

26. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    @Mistie Very neat and clean tutorial.

I was wondering if you can help me. I have Gateway and Sysnand 9.0 and Gateway Emunand 10.4. I currently use Cubic Ninja to boot into Gateway Menu and then boot into Gateway Emunand EVERYTIME as I really don't wanna mess with my system settings and install an old and outdated system settings just so I can use DS profile exploit or whatever.

Can you please tell me some of the steps that I need to modify in your tutorial so I can have a CLEAN Autoboot into Gateway Emunand?

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanx a lot in advance. Desperately waiting for a reply :)

PS: I don't use Homebrew Launcher, nor do I have any use of it. A simple, clean, and straight forward autoboot into Gateway Emunand would be PERFECT FOR ME :)

Last edited by ravihpa, Jan 24, 2016