Turning Wi-Fi off fixes lagging in Zelda BoTW and other Switch games

maxresdefault.jpg

According to Nintendo Life, Nintendo are working on a fix for the infamous frame rate drops in several Switch games. It seems to stem from issues with the Wi-Fi driver; some people have reported that turning it off or enabling "Flight mode" solves the problem.

Nintendo Life said:
You can also enable Flight Mode to disable the console's wireless connections. It's worth noting that Flight Mode doesn't work when you dock the Switch.

Our anonymous developer has confirmed that Nintendo is aware of the problem and that a fix will be included in a forthcoming firmware update.

:arrow: Read more on Nintendo Life

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
less than $200? where? cowland?

I'm using hyperbole and being sarcastic about the people that Is bashing this portable console with mobile technology because it isn't as strong as the home consoles that are already on the market (Even though is the most powerfull portable console on the market in relation of price/power).

I also find so stupid the fact that people are blowing things out of proportions regarding the defective units, every console has defective units in their launch, but what actually matters is the percentage of the fucked up units, and since 1 out of 100 users are having issues then 1% of the shipped consoles are damaged is actually pretty good

Last edited by AtlasFontaine,

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lately almost anything Nintendo related details into "THE SWITCH IS A TERRIBLE CONSOLE" and "NINTENDO HATERS SHOULD STFU". Most even devolve to a console war.

There are actual threads where you can argue whether the switch is a good console or not, but this thread is a little PSA targeting switch owners and how they can improve FPS dips, which are undeniably there. A helpful thread. These hateful comments, unjustified or not, really don't have a place here.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You're right, this is a PSA thread.
It would be great if off-topic discussions are removed from here, and sent to the corresponding flame thread or the EOF.
I think no one here really wants to lose time reading fanboys engaging in their flame wars.
There is a place for that, a place we can avoid if not in the mood to read BS.
Please keep the shit together in those threads/forum sections, and out of every other place.

Reactions: AtlasFontaine

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those are launch prices in USD, not current prices in CAD. You are comparing the launch price of the Switch to the current price of the Xbox One, which is a four-year-old console that only continues to survive sales via bundles.

It's really more embarrassing for Nintendo in that light isn't it? 4 year old, $100 (CAD) cheaper console provides superior gaming experience to Switch...

And waits for the "but it's portable" gambit...

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it does, because it's the only thing protecting the Switch from the outside world when docked and I don't want it tho be so light that it might tip over at any second. They should've weighed it down and the front part should've been taller to protect the whole screen. More tightly-fitting rubber or fabric lining would've been great as well.
It's only light when the system isn't in it, though, who cares if it tips over then? You'd have to be pretty deliberate to tip it over with the system inside. Even if it did, it wouldn't cause any real damage, as Switch is locked in place.

Last edited by Xzi,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's only light when the system isn't in it, though, who cares if it tips over then? You'd have to be pretty deliberate to tip it over with the system inside. Even if it did, it wouldn't cause any real damage, as Switch is locked in place.
So what? The dock is still so light that even just the tension of the HDMI cable can be a bit of an issue - mine is pretty thick and not very flexible. Did I mention that the port placement is stupid? It's stupid, that flap on the back is pointless.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So what? The dock is still so light that even just the tension of the HDMI cable can be a bit of an issue - mine is pretty thick and not very flexible. Did I mention that the port placement is stupid? It's stupid, that flap on the back is pointless.
The so what of it is that you're complaining about superfluous things that really don't have any effect on the overall experience. Nitpicks, if you will. You could spend years pointing out every minor flaw of every console in existence, or you could just play games on them instead. Even PCs certainly aren't without their minor annoyances and imperfections.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The so what of it is that you're complaining about superfluous things that really don't have any effect on the overall experience. Nitpicks, if you will. You could spend years pointing out every minor flaw of every console in existence, or you could just play games on them instead. Even PCs certainly aren't without their minor annoyances and imperfections.
I don't treat poor build quality as a minor annoyance. Do you know how much Nintendo wants for that thing? $90. For $90 is should be made to the highest standard imaginable because there's f*ck-all inside of it besides a USB controller and a DP to HDMI pass-through. What exactly are they planning to charge me $90 for in the unlikely event that I break it? Because it's certainly not worth that much.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't treat poor build quality as a minor annoyance. Do you know how much Nintendo wants for that thing? $90. For $90 is should be made to the highest standard imaginable because there's f*ck-all inside of it besides a USB controller and an eDP to HDMI pass-through.
It's $90 or free with the console. I like the latter price, and the former will drop in sales just like all console accessories do. Retail price for XB1 and PS4 controllers is $60, but nobody actually pays that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's $90 or free with the console. I like the latter price, and the former will drop in sales just like all console accessories do. Retail price for XB1 and PS4 controllers is $60, but nobody actually pays that.
I actually work in a store that deals predominantly with console sales and controllers are easily one of the most-purchased accessory out there. Not only that, they're mostly bought new, for the price you mention. It's nice that the dock is free, which doesn't change the fact that it's built poorly and doesn't inspire confidence since its purpose is to seat my expensive console. I don't want to put it into something with the structural integrity of paper mache, that's about as clear as I can word this argument. You're free to disagree, I won't discuss it further because we're going in circles.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually work in a store that deals predominantly with console sales and controllers are easily the most-purchased accessory out there. Not only that, they're mostly bought new, for the price you mention. It's nice that the dock is free, which doesn't change the fact that it's built poorly and doesn't inspire confidence since its purpose is to seat my expensive console. I don't want to put it into something with the structural integrity of paper mache, that's about as clear as I can word this argument. You're free to disagree, I won't discuss it further because we're going in circles.

You could always get an AmFiilm tempered glass screen protector :P Just don't go for the POS hori one XD

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have a screen protector, that's not the point. We were talking about poor design and build quality, not solutions to problems I can solve myself. :P

Yes, the build quality could have been better. Why it isn't is anyone's guess; I'd rather have this build quality than those JXD tablets lol :P Those things are notorious for having bad build quality.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to bypass all the Switch = trash argument going on as I just want to know...how is this even possible? How can the wifi cause so much lag? What kind of beast is the wifi card of the Switch?
It's a bug in the wifi driver which is using up more system resources than wifi should be, has nothing to do with the type of wifi card in the Switch. Software/firmware issue.

Reactions: Xabring

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been playing on Airplane mode and not noticed any major framerate drops only some minor slowdowns (another term for framerates drops) in certain areas, most notably long grassy areas as pointed out on many BOTW reviews online.

However I do go out of Airplane mode to check the eShop sometimes and forget to turn it back on and I've experienced some big framerate drops particularly when riding a horse in towns with lots of civilians.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I've been playing on Airplane mode and not noticed any major framerate drops only some minor slowdowns (another term for framerates drops) in certain areas, most notably long grassy areas as pointed out on many BOTW reviews online.

However I do go out of Airplane mode to check the eShop sometimes and forget to turn it back on and I've experienced some big framerate drops particularly when riding a horse in towns with lots of civilians.
thanks for the confirmation, hopefully Nintendo manages to fix it soon

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Digital Foundry has been investigating resolution issues in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and have deduced that the game uses dynamic resolution scaling to maintain its target 30fps frame-rate. The team have also investigated claims that Wi-Fi might be impacting Switch performance, however they’ve switched the Switch to flight mode and they have found that this has no impact on their results.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/14/digital-foundry-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-uses-dynamic-resolution-scaling/

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think y'all know the fans here, no matter what fault you state, hey have a response to defend nintendont.

correct me if i am wrong, but dont console companies test its hardware when they design it, make a prototype and test game engines on it so they can build dev kits..... and your telling me throughout the entire testing stage they never noticed these lag issues and tried to resolve them before making the final product?

the issues with wifi connection/causing lag your telling me all the prototypes and retail models nintendo had, not one of them had this issue.

the joycon input delays, same again

the joycon connection issues, same again

the joycon slider parts, same again

analogues getting stuck, same again

the display quality, graphical issues, inverted screen colors, same again

the sound issues, same again

the device not detecting game cards, same again

the device instantly force closing a game, same again

the game crashing, same again

the docking station causing screen damage, same again

the slackness of the joycons connected to the tablet, same again

for a console that promotes multiplayer with friends, yet its hardware heavily drops its resolution/fps if more than two are connected, lacking hardware, same issue.

sorry but yea launch consoles and consoles in general have issues, yes the PS4/XBX1 and PS3/360 had rings/lights of death and heating issues, but these are common when you have all that hardware packed into a small space (so i wont also mention switch heat issues)

but all of the above are issues that people who arent fanboys will agree should have been noticed in the prototype or final models and fixed before launching.

but those who arent fanboys know that nintendo would have known of these, but rather than delay the launch because they need a new system on the market asap because the wii u was such a failure, they launch a half assed system then worry about the problems later.

highly likely nintendo will release revised models, improving its hardware and improving parts to resolve the problems in the launch console, thus stealing more sales because people will likely buy the next model again to get past the cheap ass issues in the launch model.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol