Turning Wi-Fi off fixes lagging in Zelda BoTW and other Switch games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mironicurse

Member mironicurse GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    There are wifi realtime operations. I turn off wifi every time I need to use my low-latency audio server in linux to reduce shuttering. Maybe this is somehow related.

osaka35 likes this.

2. osaka35

Member osaka35 Sleepy

United States
    You must be new to technology. Welcome to 2017! It's sweet of you to think of Nintendo as gods, above the rest of everyone else on the landscape in knowledge, power, and future-vision, but alas, they're actually just normal human beings. They have the exact same cycle of updates and bug fixes that literally every single software+hardware release has. See, even here, in the far flung year of the future 2017, a release doesn't mean that the drivers have completely matured. That's like saying once you've graduated college, you're a fully functional adult and there's nothing left to improve upon. Life, and tech, doesn't quite work like that.

3. Xzi

Member Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

United States
    There's nothing inside the dock, of course it doesn't need to be super heavy and premium. Would've been nice to have some soft fabric lining the inside rails, but that's really all the more it needs, no point in sinking more money there. I don't think the joy cons or the system itself feel cheap.

4. sarkwalvein

Member sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

Argentina
    The XB1S is a fine console, and a refined product. It is not without its problems, but its build quality is better.
    Actually, OFC IMHO, its build quality is way better than the PS4 line, that is not at all a good looker.
    The Switch dock is a joke TBH, but I haven't seen build/functionality problems in the console or in the dock, despite how awful it looks. Of course, I haven't thrown, kicked or scratched with a knife my Switch, neither have I the XB1S, I am not an asshole.

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Yes, it does, because it's the only thing protecting the Switch from the outside world when docked and I don't want it tho be so light that it might tip over at any second. They should've weighed it down and the front part should've been taller to protect the whole screen. More tightly-fitting rubber or fabric lining would've been great as well.
    Very true - while the PS4 is well-designed, the choice of materials leaves a lot to be desired. The plastics are also brittle and low quality compared to the XB1S, I'll freely admit that, and I get called a Sony fanboy around here. I'm genuinely impressed by the S.

6. tbb043

Member tbb043 Member

United States
    You ever used PS4? Talk about crappy Wifi.

Xabring likes this.
  7. TheLittlestBowl

Member TheLittlestBowl GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This will sound like a cookie cutter/generic answer. But, move your ps4. I moved mine about a foot to the left and went from barely hitting 1MBps to hitting 60MBps.

8. Xabring

Member Xabring GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    Lag or not, I guess it's wise to turn off Wifi until absolutely necesary anyway if you aren't using it for nuthing.

9. Meteor7

Member Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

United States
    I deleted my wifi connection settings to make sure it didn't try to connect while docked, but I haven't seen any performance increase at all. Is there something else I need to be doing?

10. mechagouki

Member mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Canada
    This would be more amusing if current pricing in Canada wasn't Switch - $400, XBOX One - $300

11. sarkwalvein

Argentina
    Get a 1080 Ti. /s

12. Pluupy

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    Those are launch prices in USD, not current prices in CAD. You are comparing the launch price of the Switch to the current price of the Xbox One, which is a four-year-old console that only continues to survive sales via bundles.

13. Meteor7

Member Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

United States
    If only I could slap my own hardware into the switch.

14. s157

Member s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

United States
    Lots of comparison to other consoles for a thread whose original purpose was to inform others how to reduce FPS dips via turning off wifi, which admittedly is odd.

I find the comparisons distasteful, but as with everyone else it is all opinions. Retroboy sees this as a console that has a handheld function, thus gives it the right to be compared to the latest gen consoles. I personally see it the other way. It is a handheld that can be played as a console. Heck, just today I found out there is a rhythm game that requires it to be play handheld. All my opinions, of course, but currently to me the switch doesn't have a suitable comparison, as there really anything else like it.

Some of the materials do feel cheap and there are some poor design choices, but that's not the point of this thread here. So back on topic, turning off the Wi-Fi LESSENS the dips, but does not remove it entirely. Here's hoping it gets fixed soon.

Last edited by s157, Mar 14, 2017
    sarkwalvein likes this.
  15. RepeatingDigits

Member RepeatingDigits GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    Typical Nintendo fuckery. Can't even QA right and now we don't even get Nintendium. More like Pretendium.
    Seriously. How did nobody catch the "hey guys this game is dropping to 20fps with no good reason"
    Someone actually played it and said "yeah, this is fine."
    It boggles the mind.

16. Cortador

Member Cortador GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This thread is a cancer. Gbatemp has come a long way...

Disturbed1 likes this.
  17. AtlasFontaine

Member AtlasFontaine GBAtemp Maniac

Venezuela
    IIT we claim that mobile technology can somehow be as strong as a stationary consoles (Ps4/Xbone), with less than 10% of power comsuption (11W docked fully charged while gaming and 15.7W docked with the battery discharged on the switch compared to the 140W while gaming on the Ps4), having a 10h battery life and costing less than 200$
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by AtlasFontaine, Mar 14, 2017
  18. Captain_N

Member Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    this reminds me of the wii u freeze during game play from miiverse. rememeber the fix was to turn off foreign letters.... I do get only 2-3 bars on 2.4 from wifi

19. RepeatingDigits

Member RepeatingDigits GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    less than $200? where? cowland?

20. sarkwalvein

Argentina
    I blocked Retro Fanboy early on. I really feel like I found the cure for cancer.
    Hell cowland must have some strong currency.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Mar 14, 2017