Hardware turning my pc into a more portable thing

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
TL;DR, need help with a tiny MITX motherboard (or smallest size with a pcie3x16 slot for gpu) choice

So, i built my pc this year and i did go "huge case as fuck" because you know, very used to have a desktop and "options and expandability"
however i did have a "unexpected" vacation in another country for a few weeks and i really missed my pc and gaming in general
my cousins are ps4 sports fags (sorry about the offense) own like 10 games, 6 of them is sport games (fifa 16, 17, 18, pes, etc, fuck that shit) and i was game less aside from my gba and ds
so i want to take my pc with me next time i go in vacation, but since this is huge as fuck, ryanair says no, and risking sending it via shipping company is also a big no

my pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9CHh6X
ignore price because i paid in fucking euros and from when i bought, they were a lot different specially the ram

this is what i plan to do:
take the cpu, memory sticks, GPU, and the m.2 stick in my bag next time i go in vacation
and buy during the vacation these parts:
power supply, motherboard, cooler, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯don't_fucking_need_a_case_¯\_(ツ)_/¯ cheap as fuck basic mouse and keyboard

the power suply it's easy, just a cheap corsair or evga with enough wattage (extremly likely a 650 is more than enough)
the cooler, probably a low profile noctua if i may decide to get a case later, or that evo cooler that everyone recomended lol
i need help with the mobo choice.
this is what i need in the mobo:
as cheap as possible
a mobo that works with my i7-7700k, don't fucking care about overclock because it's a temporary vacation pc (basically a lga1551 socket without being a locked to cofee lake intel bullshit)
m.2 PCIE slot for my nvme (2280 size)
WIFI and Bluethoot integrated (to make things easily and fuck the usb dongles) (would appreciate a m.2 slotted wifi module so i can grab it into my home mobo)
and thunderbolt would be awesome in case i get a case (lel pun) and can later use a external gpu solution
2 ram slots lol
i was thinking in a asrock mobo, would want to try them

Last edited by migles,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like this is rock bottom price that fulfills all requirements: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7w...i-itx-lga1151-motherboard-h270i-gaming-pro-ac

There IS an ASRock H110 mobo that's cheaper, but I don't believe the H110 chipset comes with the ability to use m.2 drives

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Question tho; why not just transfer your entire PC to a small form factor case full time? You could probably get pretty decent money for the motherboard and case

Last edited by TotalInsanity4, , Reason: Screw you autocorrect

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
TL;DR, need help with a tiny MITX motherboard (or smallest size with a pcie3x16 slot for gpu) choice

So, i built my pc this year and i did go "huge case as fuck" because you know, very used to have a desktop and "options and expandability"
however i did have a "unexpected" vacation in another country for a few weeks and i really missed my pc and gaming in general
my cousins are ps4 sports fags (sorry about the offense) own like 10 games, 6 of them is sport games (fifa 16, 17, 18, pes, etc, fuck that shit) and i was game less aside from my gba and ds
so i want to take my pc with me next time i go in vacation, but since this is huge as fuck, ryanair says no, and risking sending it via shipping company is also a big no

my pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9CHh6X
ignore price because i paid in fucking euros and from when i bought, they were a lot different specially the ram

this is what i plan to do:
take the cpu, memory sticks, GPU, and the m.2 stick in my bag next time i go in vacation
and buy during the vacation these parts:
power supply, motherboard, cooler, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯don't_fucking_need_a_case_¯\_(ツ)_/¯ cheap as fuck basic mouse and keyboard

the power suply it's easy, just a cheap corsair or evga with enough wattage (extremly likely a 650 is more than enough)
the cooler, probably a low profile noctua if i may decide to get a case later, or that evo cooler that everyone recomended lol
i need help with the mobo choice.
this is what i need in the mobo:
as cheap as possible
a mobo that works with my i7-7700k, don't fucking care about overclock because it's a temporary vacation pc (basically a lga1551 socket without being a locked to cofee lake intel bullshit)
m.2 PCIE slot for my nvme (2280 size)
WIFI and Bluethoot integrated (to make things easily and fuck the usb dongles) (would appreciate a m.2 slotted wifi module so i can grab it into my home mobo)
and thunderbolt would be awesome in case i get a case (lel pun) and can later use a external gpu solution
2 ram slots lol
i was thinking in a asrock mobo, would want to try them
I do believe all mITX boards are the same size, that's kind of part of the mITX standard. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't suggest having loose PC components in your bag, you'll end up breaking something. Put the components in individual antistatic bags and pack them properly so they won't move around.
The A4-SFX v2 case ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/33753221/dan-cases-a4-sfx-v2-an-ultra-compact-sff-case) is really tiny and highly portable, it should be available for sale soon (the Kickstarter orders are shipping soon and I expect it to be available for order soon after). It might be worth a look.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do believe all mITX boards are the same size, that's kind of part of the mITX standard. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't suggest having loose PC components in your bag, you'll end up breaking something. Put the components in individual antistatic bags and pack them properly so they won't move around.
The A4-SFX v2 case ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/33753221/dan-cases-a4-sfx-v2-an-ultra-compact-sff-case) is really tiny and highly portable, it should be available for sale soon (the Kickstarter orders are shipping soon and I expect it to be available for order soon after). It might be worth a look.
I wouldn't be in the mood to pay $275 for the base model, personally. If I was building for portability I'd get the Silverstone ML08 or Lian Li PC-TU100

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,
Reactions: migles

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
sure, i can even use some of the original cases like the ram sticks, and processor i always keep this stuff
will be extremely carefull with taking them, they are expensive components and i need them... if i see it's too risky to take them with me, i will just give up
Question tho; why not just transfer your entire PC to a small form factor case full time? You could probably get pretty decent money for the motherboard and case
they are good in my desk, never bothered me, the only reason i am wanting something really small is, i was thinking in bulding a mini itx computer to give the extra parts to my sister after i come back home..
so basically, when i go in vacation again, i can have my pc, when i get back to home i leave the parts i bought there (like the mobo and powersuply) to my sister so she buys the rest of the stuff and gets herself a pc, she has a fucking old laptop and i wanted to help her get something she can use for games
the mini itx size would be perfect for her, because she lives in a small apartment, and might move later
hope i explained myself not that badly
Looks like this is rock bottom price that fulfills are requirements: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7w...i-itx-lga1151-motherboard-h270i-gaming-pro-ac
thanks mate!
will keep that case in mind in case i decide to get a case ;O;

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are good in my desk, never bothered me, the only reason i am wanting something really small is, i was thinking in bulding a mini itx computer to give the extra parts to my sister after i come back home..
so basically, when i go in vacation again, i can have my pc, when i get back to home i leave the parts i bought there (like the mobo and powersuply) to my sister so she buys the rest of the stuff and gets herself a pc, she has a fucking old laptop and i wanted to help her get something she can use for games
the mini itx size would be perfect for her, because she lives in a small apartment, and might move later
hope i explained myself not that badly
Why not go the other way, and give her the ATX stuff? The MasterCase isn't that big :P

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Why not go the other way, and give her the ATX stuff? The MasterCase isn't that big :P
because she lives in the other country, not going to ship it...
and like i explained, she lives in a small probably temporary appartment, it is much better for her to own small portable stuff
while me, still living with parents, don't plan to move any time later :evil: (funny, how my sister is like 5 years younger than me and got her life almost togheter :sad:)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I wouldn't be in the mood to pay $275 for the base model, personally. If I was building for portability I'd get the Silverstone ML08 or Lian Li PC-TU100
Those look decent, but they're much bigger than the A4-SFX. The Lian Li is about 50% larger and the Silverstone is almost twice as large. There are some other viable options for SFF cases too that don't cost a lot, but almost all are much larger.
I agree the price is a bit steep though. I have one coming since I backed the Kickstarter and will be building a new rig in it sometime this year, should be fun.
On the plus side, you can get a duffel bag that's made to fit the A4-SFX perfectly + some accessories, and fits onto a luggage handle, making for easier travel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.