Hacking Trying to replace the Gateway/rxTools CFW with Luma3DS! Help?

ChrisDeweese

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Alright.. where do I begin...

Okay so I saw somewhere that for those on rxTools and/or Gateway CFW, they were suggested to switch to Luma3DS for better compatibility and active support along with nice features. I proceeded to download Luma3DS and tried to install it, but couldn't understand what I was supposed to be doing and it kept loading rxTools instead from menuhax! I took to the web to find some way to do this without losing my emunand and found a small tutorial, but it didn't seem to make sense nor did it help me with my issue. Now I am stuck with the Gateway Emunand and can't get neither rxTools nor Luma3DS working! Is there anything I can do to get Luma3DS working?

D

Deleted-379826

Alright.. where do I begin...

Okay so I saw somewhere that for those on rxTools and/or Gateway CFW, they were suggested to switch to Luma3DS for better compatibility and active support along with nice features. I proceeded to download Luma3DS and tried to install it, but couldn't understand what I was supposed to be doing and it kept loading rxTools instead from menuhax! I took to the web to find some way to do this without losing my emunand and found a small tutorial, but it didn't seem to make sense nor did it help me with my issue. Now I am stuck with the Gateway Emunand and can't get neither rxTools nor Luma3DS working! Is there anything I can do to get Luma3DS working?
First delete all Rxtools files including the one in a menuhax folder or something menuhax related and then download luma3ds copy, luma, luma3ds.dat and 3ds to the root of your sd card. Then I forget where but I am assuming in a menuhax folder, copy the contents of luma3ds's menuhax folder there

ChrisDeweese

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
That seems to have done the trick. Thank you!

One more thing slightly related to Luma3DS, though... I'm having trouble getting JP DLC to work and I've made the txt file of the Game ID, placing it into the "luma/locales/" directory of my 3DS. Is there something I'm doing wrong or missing something?

Reactions: Deleted-379826
D

Deleted-379826

That seems to have done the trick. Thank you!

One more thing slightly related to Luma3DS, though... I'm having trouble getting JP DLC to work and I've made the txt file of the Game ID, placing it into the "luma/locales/" directory of my 3DS. Is there something I'm doing wrong or missing something?
If I'm not wrong all you need is the Japanese game or cia and then install the dlc as a cia, but if you are trying Japanese dlc on another reason not too sure

ChrisDeweese

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
If I'm not wrong all you need is the Japanese game or cia and then install the dlc as a cia, but if you are trying Japanese dlc on another reason not too sure
I have the corresponding Japanese game installed on my emunand already, said game being Gyakuten Saiban 6, and I can't get it to work. I've finished the first case already, if that matters any.

D

Deleted-379826

I have the corresponding Japanese game installed on my emunand already, said game being Gyakuten Saiban 6, and I can't get it to work. I've finished the first case already, if that matters any.
Huh honestly not sure, so you did also install the dlc as CIA?

BlackDog61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
First delete all Rxtools files including the one in a menuhax folder or something menuhax related and then download luma3ds copy, luma, luma3ds.dat and 3ds to the root of your sd card. Then I forget where but I am assuming in a menuhax folder, copy the contents of luma3ds's menuhax folder there
I just wanted to say THANK YOU.
(That "good" menuhax folder comes from the Luma3DS install files.)

Reactions: Deleted-379826

BlackDog61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
... and of course rm having a noob momentright after that. :)
Luma3DS always boots to a black screen (7/7 attempts, left it running for 10 minutes just in case). Do you have any hint on what I'm doinbg wrong?

I have a 9.2.0U firmware already, so I'm skipping over step 2. So I've done part 1 and I'm going through part 3, step 14.

First I was upgrading from an RxTools setup, so I had "stuff" in my SDCard.
But now for my second re-run of the guide, I've started from a blank SD (deleted all files and re-applied part 1 from the start).

I've tried manually creating a "luma" folder and putting the firmware.bin mentioned in this thread. No dice.

I'm going to keep on searching for similar issues. Let me know if you find anything.

D

Deleted-379826

... and of course rm having a noob momentright after that. :)
Luma3DS always boots to a black screen (7/7 attempts, left it running for 10 minutes just in case). Do you have any hint on what I'm doinbg wrong?

I have a 9.2.0U firmware already, so I'm skipping over step 2. So I've done part 1 and I'm going through part 3, step 14.

First I was upgrading from an RxTools setup, so I had "stuff" in my SDCard.
But now for my second re-run of the guide, I've started from a blank SD (deleted all files and re-applied part 1 from the start).

I've tried manually creating a "luma" folder and putting the firmware.bin mentioned in this thread. No dice.

I'm going to keep on searching for similar issues. Let me know if you find anything.
Make sure you have right files. Make sure you are booting it from hbl or that you properly setup menuhax and also make sure you selected some certain settings! Make sure you have an emunand. I'd also say just go for A9LH it's a lot better and you won't have as many problems! Although just my opinion though :P . Although if you do choose to, after setting up luma properly, follow this: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki it's noob proof always updated and you get to start on Part 4/5!

BlackDog61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Make sure you have right files.
Err, OK - I guess I'll just redownload everything Luma-related.
Make sure you are booting it from hbl or that you properly setup menuhax
I forgot to mention but I do have HBL available and working from both menuhax (down pad key) and browser. I tried both ways with similar failure.
and also make sure you selected some certain settings!
What do you mean by that? Does it need internet access or something?
Make sure you have an emunand.
Pretty sure i have redNAND, seeing how I followed the whole fun and Emunand9 mentions I have a redNAND on the SD.
I'd also say just go for A9LH it's a lot better and you won't have as many problems! Although just my opinion though :P . Although if you do choose to, after setting up luma properly, follow this: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki it's noob proof always updated and you get to start on Part 4/5!
That is indeed my goal. But, like you mention, that's accessible only AFTER I get Luma to work, right?

D

Deleted-379826

Err, OK - I guess I'll just redownload everything Luma-related.

I forgot to mention but I do have HBL available and working from both menuhax (down pad key) and browser. I tried both ways with similar failure.

What do you mean by that? Does it need internet access or something?

Pretty sure i have redNAND, seeing how I followed the whole fun and Emunand9 mentions I have a redNAND on the SD.

That is indeed my goal. But, like you mention, that's accessible only AFTER I get Luma to work, right?
I ment Luma settings. As in hold select on boot!

Rednand is perfectly fine.

and yes right!

BlackDog61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I ment Luma settings. As in hold select on boot!
To be perfectly clear:
- I don't see the Luma splashscreen (since other threads seem to mention there is one)
- Luma doesn't create the "config"file in its "luma" folder, so I assume it fails even before that.
- I've just tried your good suggestion to hold select when pressing A from HBL to launch Luma. Same result: immediate black screen that remains forever* (*=at least a few minutes).

D

Deleted-379826

To be perfectly clear:
- I don't see the Luma splashscreen (since other threads seem to mention there is one)
- Luma doesn't create the "config"file in its "luma" folder, so I assume it fails even before that.
- I've just tried your good suggestion to hold select when pressing A from HBL to launch Luma. Same result: immediate black screen that remains forever* (*=at least a few minutes).
-No luma splash screen. It can optionally be enabled but not by default.
-Not sure on that part.
-hold select before luma fully loads to bring up settings, if not then there is something very wrong with luma!

BlackDog61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
-No luma splash screen. It can optionally be enabled but not by default.
-Not sure on that part.
-hold select before luma fully loads to bring up settings, if not then there is something very wrong with luma!
I've tried:
- holding select before I press A in HBL
- pressing (and holding) select during the "red flash screen" that is shortly displayed after I press A.
- holding select shortly after the red screen has turned to black.
All result to the same thing.

I think I'm going to try an older Luma (than v6.0), just in case.

PS: I'm using the non "dev" version of Luma. Is that the right one for the guide?

Last edited by BlackDog61,
D

Deleted-379826

I've tried:
- holding select before I press A in HBL
- pressing (and holding) select during the "red flash screen" that is shortly displayed after I press A.
- holding select shortly after the red screen has turned to black.
All result to the same thing.

I think I'm going to try an older Luma (than v6.0), just in case.

PS: I'm using the non "dev" version of Luma. Is that the right one for the guide?
Yes non dev is correct. Dev stands for developer and has exclusive features meant for developing things! And yeah there is something wrong with your luma!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he... +1