Trying to convince mom to use a PS3 as media player.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I had a conversation with my mom about getting a blu-ray player, and I been trying to convince her to get a PS3 for a low price to use as one. Is a ps3, I have one, it plays audio cd music you can even copy to the storage drive and play without disc, and copy to your smartphone/tablet to listen to. You can play dvd or blu-ray, and she will finally have a reason to buy blu-ray disc to watch HD videos on like the disney movies. Yes i know is not 4K Ultra HD but she doesn't have 4K TV nor i think her eye sight can tell much difference.

She is a bit concerned saying people are forcing the change of upgrading on her since she bought a tv that has one component input and 3 HDMI inputs, and her current system which is a dual dvd and vhs player doesn't work with it. I been trying to convince for years and I think is not a total bad idea. Though I think the price of the system is a big concern of hers even if is not as expensive as over $200.

Basically she just dislike the idea that her system works but can't use it with her tv. If you was trying to (And i say it without offense) Upgrade your mom's tech, what would you do? To note she is not a very technical person like I am and until she understand everything which isn't easy to comprehend makes decisions like this difficult.

Reactions: lordkaos

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
My mom is not really technical either and as someone who works in IT I see this almost all the time. You basically have to setup it up so all the work is done without her doing anything. What I mean is setup it up to auto-boot the disc when one is inserted and show her how to use the PS3 controller and how to switch to the correct video mode.

She may also just need to see the difference before she is willing to upgrade. 9I did the same thing with my mother a few years ago when she went from 480p to 1080p)

200 for a PS3 is a bit much might be better to get a used one.

Another thing why a PS3? Does she play games? A bluray player is less then 70.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
200 for a PS3 is a bit much might be better to get a used one.

Another thing why a PS3? Does she play games? A bluray player is less then 70.
I intended to get a used one, and she does play games, but no I doubt the ps3 would have games of her kind for it. But it is more flexible than just a player, like i said, backup music on the HDD to play anytime without the CD, and even the web browser, and apps. I mean i was just gonna find her one of the remotes that go with the ps3 so she doesn't have to worry about using a controller. I really dunno about the different blu-ray players but I am familiar with a ps3 so if she need help i can assist, besides that it seem more flexible in terms of variety, even if she may not use it for games, it may be there for guest. :unsure:

Reactions: CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I intended to get a used one, and she does play games, but no I doubt the ps3 would have games of her kind for it. But it is more flexible than just a player, like i said, backup music on the HDD to play anytime without the CD, and even the web browser, and apps. I mean i was just gonna find her one of the remotes that go with the ps3 so she doesn't have to worry about using a controller. I really dunno about the different blu-ray players but I am familiar with a ps3 so if she need help i can assist, besides that it seem more flexible in terms of variety, even if she may not use it for games, it may be there for guest. :unsure:

I can get behind that. In that case just like I said follow the KISS method (keep it simple stupid)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeeah, why not just...buy a DVD/Bluray player? They're cheap as balls, extremely simple to use, and she doesn't have to "get used" to navigating the PS3's menus every time she wants to watch something. They also have pretty much every feature the PS3 does (sans playing games of course), playing off of USB, CDs, Netflix, Pandora, Youtube. Why "convince" her to buy a (what would be, to her) a complicated machine she doesn't even want?

Reactions: Deleted User

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could try to make it easier for her by getting a ps3 fat or a slim so she doesn't have to open the lid and manually insert the disc on a super slim, put the ps3 on autoboot and buy one of those remote controls for ps3

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some times on newer systems the component input also serves as the regular input My sony uses the y as the yellow and skip using the pb and pr and use the white and red as audio. So check if that might still work.

As for using a ps3, My parents got used to using one once I got them the official ps3 remote control instead of controller.

I tried the same for my grandparents; but there they just ended up unplugging it and never using it... (I had even ripped a bunch of their own dvds for them and put them on the ps3 to choose from a list) Oh well.

either way Good Luck!!!

Last edited by SonicMC,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yeeah, why not just...buy a DVD/Bluray player? They're cheap as balls, extremely simple to use, and she doesn't have to "get used" to navigating the PS3's menus every time she wants to watch something. They also have pretty much every feature the PS3 does (sans playing games of course), playing off of USB, CDs, Netflix, Pandora, Youtube. Why "convince" her to buy a (what would be, to her) a complicated machine she doesn't even want?
I think Tom's right. The PS3 does make a great media centre (that's pretty much all I used mine for until I got an Apple TV) but why force someone to learn how to use it?
If you do go that path though, download loads of stuff that she'll like to its hard drive so she can watch it easily (a bluray player won't be able to do THAT).

D

Deleted User

Dude I also love getting my mom a video game system for the purpose of watching movies.

Nah, just get a freaking blue ray player. You can find them fucking cheap. A PS3 is too much.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I had a conversation with my mom about getting a blu-ray player, and I been trying to convince her to get a PS3 for a low price to use as one. Is a ps3, I have one, it plays audio cd music you can even copy to the storage drive and play without disc, and copy to your smartphone/tablet to listen to. You can play dvd or blu-ray, and she will finally have a reason to buy blu-ray disc to watch HD videos on like the disney movies. Yes i know is not 4K Ultra HD but she doesn't have 4K TV nor i think her eye sight can tell much difference.

She is a bit concerned saying people are forcing the change of upgrading on her since she bought a tv that has one component input and 3 HDMI inputs, and her current system which is a dual dvd and vhs player doesn't work with it. I been trying to convince for years and I think is not a total bad idea. Though I think the price of the system is a big concern of hers even if is not as expensive as over $200.

Basically she just dislike the idea that her system works but can't use it with her tv. If you was trying to (And i say it without offense) Upgrade your mom's tech, what would you do? To note she is not a very technical person like I am and until she understand everything which isn't easy to comprehend makes decisions like this difficult.

Did you try an adapter for her system? Tell her it's cheaper, a lot reliable, you have experience with it, and if it breaks tell her you can fix it.

Ps3s should be cheaper than a Blu-Ray player, if not find a used one.
Record a Video or Show her all the features that you just listed.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Tom's right. The PS3 does make a great media centre (that's pretty much all I used mine for until I got an Apple TV) but why force someone to learn how to use it?
If you do go that path though, download loads of stuff that she'll like to its hard drive so she can watch it easily (a bluray player won't be able to do THAT).
That is exactly my point. Because the system has a HDD, it more flexible to use. Again I dunno anything about stand alone blu-ray player units. I never bothered to look as i own a system that play bluray already. It never occur to me about getting something else.

Besides, I'm not forcing her to learn how to use something, just convincing her that there is a more flexible and convenient option for modern tech than sticking with old ones.

The point she makes is she has a working DVD/VHS player, she can't use it cause her tv doesn't have Inputs for it, if she just had a ps3, plug in HDMI, and use a remote, then is simple for her to put CD inside, listen to it, store music, videos and pics on the HDD, or watch any of the media streaming apps.

Chickenhunterx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My mother's a bit of a different story she gets all my old junk including my old Alienware laptop but personally I'd just get her a cheap pc and if she truly cares that much about vhs get her the USB adapter thing to hook it up the the computer got one for my mom so she could watch and convert all our old home movies from vhs to dvd

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much every modern bluray player has USB support these days, you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't. See: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-bdps1700-streaming-blu-ray-player-black/4743200.p?skuId=4743200

$70, DVD, Bluray, CD, USB, Netflix, Youtube, Pandora, and Vudu. Cheap, easy to use, supports playing from a HDD.

D

Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Managed Budokai Tenkaichi 3 to work