OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cpostudios.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I was just wondering if there was a quick alternative to unscrewing a triwing screw on a Wii. I could pay and wait, but I'm careful with my money and I'm only going to be doing this once, so it feels like a waste. I don't know if I want to go in there with a small flat head and just use pressure, it might mess up the screw.

I only have to go as far as getting to the disc reader, not a complete disassembly.

Any suggestions would be fantastic.

-Conor

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You can attempt to use a small flathead and jam it between 2 of the 3 corners of the tri-wing. This works ok but some of the screws that are set deeper in the plastic are both tough to see and remove

I would personally suggest waiting. I tried the method above and got all but 1 screw out, frustrating to say the least. Further you are going to damage your screws a little bit in the process which might make it tough to put your case back together.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Probably best to get a triwing screwdriver. They aren't expensive or too hard to get.

I remember that I messed up a screw whilst trying to disassemble something and couldn't open it up in the end.

haruk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wouldn't recommend trying anything else..I tried using the flathead method mentioned above, and it totally stripped my screw and made it impossible to get out on my DS

CPOStudios

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cpostudios.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to put it back together with different screws, I have a lot of variety in my garage. So I'm not worried about that. I managed to remove one screw with a flat head. What is the molten Bic method? I'd use the search, but it's down.

I could order it, it isn't that expensive. But I'm impatient, and I have some time on my hands, so this is kind of a fun challenge. If you were into Smash you'd understand. I'm also frustrated because the mod chip I ordered came with a triwing screw driver, but I cancelled that to get it for a better deal, but forgot to add the triwing on the side.

I'm afraid of stripping the screw, but I'm pretty good at knowing the limit. So I'm going to try the flathead method for now (molten bic sounds interesting...
smile.gif
). If all else fails, I'll order a triwing. I tried calling a few hardware stores (they wouldn't have it, worth a shot), and I'm calling a nice indie video game shop tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help though, it's appreciated.

link459

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Buy the triwing, and wait.

There really is no other option. Sure you could do it now.... and kill your screws/break your flathead.

nezasaur

Trophies
XP
Country
I modded my wii without a triwing. I put the soldering iron tip on the head of the triwing screws and waited until the plastic around it heated up a bit and softened, then you will be able to turn it with a flathead. Be prepared to do lots of small turns because the plastic hardens fairly quickly and if you apply the soldering iron for too long it will warp the plastic.

The first hole I screwed up by heating the plastic up too much, the rest I did properly. If you do it right then the plastic thread won't lose it's shape.

I bought a triwing for later wiis and it's much better but that method will work.

ps don't blame me if you try this and screw up your wii
wink.gif

paOol

Trophies
XP
Country
man, i regret buying a tri wing on ebay. about 5 screws in, the screwdriver is like coming apart on the tip, and its stripping my screws. i cant even open the last 3 i need. -________-
im going to try the soldering iron method, hope it works. i dont have much options here at my dorm.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I bought two of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6154 from Deal Extreme. At a $1.90 each and no shipping, you really can't go wrong if you're willing to wait 10-20 days for shipping. I've opened and closed my Wii once with one triwing and it's still in perfect shape. I bought the second one for backup just in case the quality was really poor, but it held up, so all is well. Definitely a good buy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0