zzzzzzzzzzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Intro
iDOLM@STER is a Japanese multimedia franchise that started in arcades in 2005. There are multiple games, spin-offs, various manga/anime series and all sorts of other media related to the franchise. Dearly Stars is one of these spin-offs. The game deviates from previous entries in the series in the respect that the player takes the role of an idol, rather than the role of a producer like in previous games. Namco Bandai Games has classified the genre of THE iDOLM@STER Dearly Stars as being Top Idol Adventure.

Progress
So far, most of all of the game's text has been dumped. Most all of the game's assets are stored within a collection of files named F_*.BIN, and each of these files is accompanied by an F_*.IDX which lists the offsets of the files within the bins. F_SCN.BIN contains the text for the game's scenes, and is divided into individual, proprietary BBQ files. These were decompressed using Crystal Tile 2's LZ77/Huffman compression search with the Step set to 8. I would post this collection here, but I presume that it would be against the rules because they would contain copyrighted data, correct? The text was stripped from each of the dumped bbq files, and the collection can be found at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vh8bjL2XNYu2fF37Sz93freO8l-8dyMYTMOUdNguxIw/edit?usp=sharing

(It is set to comment only to prevent defilement. Please note that there are a bunch of blank files and duplicated text, along with a couple garbage files. Please consider helping to translate!)

The translated text can be edited back into each of the BBQ files manually, and each file can be re-encoded using the lz10 encoding option (lzss.exe -> -evn) of https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-ds-gba-compressors.313278/ . This could probably also be accomplished using DSDecmp, but that never seemed to work for me. These re-encoded BBQ files then can replace the original Japanese BBQ files within the .BIN, but one must be aware to fix the .IDX file if the BBQ's file size has changed at all.

Deterrents (aka HELP WANTED)
The biggest deterrent to the continuation of this project is the limitation of characters per line. I am unsure of what causes it, but sometimes when the text in a BBQ is edited, it will cause the lines to be thrown off and become incomprehensible. At first I believed that it is due to the game only supporting up to 22 characters per line, but I no longer believe this to be the case. The game's real text never exceeds more than 20 characters per line, if that accounts for anything. But anyway, without this limit changed, it is difficult to have a good, accurate translation of the text.

Another thing that needs to be figured out, although it is maybe not so vital, is how to dump, edit and reinsert the images of the game stored within the .BINs . Most of the Japanese in the game is in the text (this game could be considered a Visual Novel), so this is not so much of an issue.

One inconvenience is fixing the .IDX file after editing the .BIN . If an edited BBQ is small than the original, one can fill the space difference with null values to push BBQ files after it into place again. But if the edited BBQ file is larger than the original (this is likely), one must manually rewrite the offsets of all the following BBQ files in the .IDX . There is a work around for this though, as the developers did pad some space between each of the BBQ files. One can delete these as they come up so that it is not necessary to rewrite every offset value, but one would still have to rewrite usually about 50 before everything is in its correct position.

BUFJc9s.png
TLlIsbw.png

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm afraid that, with regard to this project, you will have to resign yourself. :(
Instead, to all the fans of this genre and visual novels in general: remember that for DS/DSi is available Kira Kira, a quite similar title about the birth and vicissitudes of a young rock band, through the VNDS software, as well as other numerous, compelling classic titles ported from PC. :wink:

BonillaP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All Idolm@ster translations are doomed to fail? lol
Just want to update you all on this. Idolmaster One For All's base game has been translated since 2021, and yesterday we just wrapped up translation for the DLC stories and the patch should be out later this month. Leaving only the emails left needing to be translated.

As for Dearly Stars, a youtuber named Cait has just finished making a video translation of Ryo's entire route in Dearly Stars. as well as some misc. events on Eri's and Ai's part. so if anyone ever wants to bring this back we finally have a frame of reference to test one of their routes.

Reactions: Cris1997XX

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just want to update you all on this. Idolmaster One For All's base game has been translated since 2021, and yesterday we just wrapped up translation for the DLC stories and the patch should be out later this month. Leaving only the emails left needing to be translated.

As for Dearly Stars, a youtuber named Cait has just finished making a video translation of Ryo's entire route in Dearly Stars. as well as some misc. events on Eri's and Ai's part. so if anyone ever wants to bring this back we finally have a frame of reference to test one of their routes.
Phew, thank god something good came out of this! I probably will never be able to play Idolmaster One For All, since I don't have the right files for RCPS3 and everything, but I'm happy to see there's been a lot of progress

Last edited by Cris1997XX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates