[Translation] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Helmax, Jun 16, 2016.

1. 2DSGamerdude

2DSGamerdude GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2015
    Greece
    thanx, jasonPK92 :)

what attracted me to play this version over the original was that it was:

1) way easier than the original
    2) you can see the enemies on screen and choose to avoid fighting them or not, <3
    (in the original the battles were random, and you couldn't always run away from them i.e if you were on low health :( )
    3) you can save even in traveler's gates <3
    (the orignal you could only save outside Traveler's gates).
    4) your main charater (player) has spells to heal etc <3
    (not sure if the original you had spells?)

basically, the 3d version is the same game as the GBC one, just way better than it's GBC version,
    (personally it's easier for me to play,)

2. martytowels

martytowels Newbie

Newcomer
    May 18, 2017
    United States
    EDIT: Nevermind all that before, I just decided to treat myself to a birthday gift (with the wife's approval...) and ordered the DQM1 Special Pack japanese 3DS + Game, so I'll just be getting it all taken care of on that when it arrives. Any tips for a beginner in the CFW/homebrew world would still be appreciated!

Last edited by martytowels, May 18, 2017
  3. Rakidas

Rakidas Gay Pirate Queen

Aug 6, 2015
    Australia
    Just want to say thanks for this amazing patch! So nice to understand what on Earth is happening at last! Lol :P I was wondering if this translation group had any plans to work on the latest in the DQM series, DQM Joker 3 Professional? Riding around on stuff is flipping awesome but using a translation app on my phone every time someone says something is kinda driving me crazy, especially since the West got DQM Joker 1&2, so we can't easily learn the end of the story!

4. ruineka

ruineka Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2017
    United States
    What tools were used to modify the in game text/banners ect? I see that Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 and Dragon Quest Monsters 2 both seem to be running on a similar game engine as the first remake and I'm interested in going in and manually translate some of the critical parts of the game. That is if it is even possible...if the tools are available I can piece something together that would be better than nothing. :)

Rakidas likes this.
  5. Rakidas

Rakidas Gay Pirate Queen

Aug 6, 2015
    Australia
    Hero material bro :D

6. ruineka

ruineka Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2017
    United States
    I've done a quite a bit of research and I have found that the file structure is nearly the same as Terry No Wonderland. The files needed to be translated are located at /data/event/field and /data/message. It appears as though all that is needed is a custom table to hex view the .e and .binj files that are within said locations. Once I piece a table together and get the work flow going I'll be working nonstop to translate the menus, skills, battle dialogue, abilities, and monster names. If anyone has experience working with this and has any valuable information that could help me, please let me know!

Rakidas likes this.
  7. JasonPK92

JasonPK92 DQ Fan Translator

May 16, 2016
    United States
    New York
    @ruineka If I were you, I would abstain from doing anything about Joker 3/Joker 3 Pro for now. For obvious reasons I can't divulge yet.

Rakidas likes this.
  8. Rakidas

Rakidas Gay Pirate Queen

Aug 6, 2015
    Australia
    First of all, @ruineka you are a legend for putting your hand up to help! Second, @JasonPK92, don't toy with my heart bro, the keenness may make me explode lol!

JasonPK92 likes this.
  9. TheGameSquid

TheGameSquid Newbie

Newcomer
    May 8, 2017
    Belgium
    Just as a heads-up, I finally got my cartridge back, I did the whole thing again and it works like a charm now!

Personally, I think it's really cool that I can just pop in my original, unaltered cartridge now and fire up the game like it's translated. The only thing that isn't changed is the banner, but Luma only has LayeredFS support for RomFS, so that's a given.

I really want to thank everyone who worked on this project! I only played a few hours so for, but I'm really liking how this feels.

Here's a super-quick look at how you should set it up with Luma 7:

(Not sure how many people would even find this useful so I kept it quick and dirty)

Using my original cartridge I performed the following steps:
    1. Insert the cartridge in my 3DS, hold Power + Start to start up the Luma chainloader and launch GodMode9
    2. Go to [C:] GAMECART
    3. Go to 0004000000074600.trim.3ds, then select “NCSD image options…”, then select “Build CIA from file”
    4. It will dump to /gm9out/ when it's done
    5. Transfer it to your PC
    6. Use ctrtool to extract the contents: ./ctrtool -x --contents=contents 0004000000074600.trim.cia
    7. Use ctrtool to extract the raw RomFS from the contents: ./ctrtool -p --romfs=romfsoriginal.bin contents.0000.00000000
    8. Apply the patch to the raw RomFS using xDeltaUI as described in the patch notes, save the patched RomFS as romfspatched.bin
    9. Use ctrtool to extract the actual contents of the patched RomFS: ./ctrtool -x --romfsdir=romfs romfspatched.bin
    10. Now you have all files in the romfs directory
    Now we can start transferring the files we need. If you follow the FAQ, you should copy the following files from the patched RomFS to your SD card:
    1. Message (.binj files)
    2. Event (.e files)
    3. Font
    4. Layout (.arc files)
    5. NaviMap (.arc files)
    Your SD cart should then have the following file structure
    Code:
    /
    └── luma
        └── titles
            └── 0004000000074600
                └── romfs
                   └── data
                        ├── Event
                        |    ├── Demo
                        |    └── Field
                        ├── Font
                        ├── Layout
                        |    ├── battle
                        |    ├── common
                        |    ├── demo
                        |    ├── field
                        |    ├── flag
                        |    ├── ic
                        |    ├── menu
                        |    ├── picture
                        |    └── Field
                        ├── Message
                        └── NaviMap

JasonPK92 likes this.
  10. ruineka

ruineka Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2017
    United States
    I have successfully figured out how the system works. Hex = D7 D5 BD B6 D2 Katakana = スラッシュ English = Slash located at romfs\data\Message\msg_monstername.binJ Offset 0x000037C9 - 37CD. Enough geeky stuff.. It is time to get started. I will be starting up a project page here shortly after I do a little more digging. Let the translation begin!

Rakidas likes this.
  11. Jakku

Jakku Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2017
    Never got a chance to say thanks for this. Never even heard of it at first, but like DQ Joker I really enjoyed it. Its definitely worth giving new games a shot.

JasonPK92 likes this.
  12. JasonPK92

JasonPK92 DQ Fan Translator

May 16, 2016
    United States
    New York
    We don't want to announce anything official in order to avoid Square Enix's wrath. Because of how new the games are, it's very likely that SE would retaliate if they caught wind about a fan translation project. But Joker 3/Joker 3 Pro are being well taken care of, trust me.

@ruineka, if you want to do stuff to DQM2 3DS, go ahead, but you really really really shouldn't waste your time on Joker 3.

You're very welcome! Glad people are still enjoying our work. :D

Last edited by JasonPK92, May 26, 2017
    breaktemp likes this.
  13. Oschara

Oschara GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    United States

14. breaktemp

breaktemp D-Sun who was called D-Moon

Mar 17, 2008
    United States
    TSU...no.1 in tha hood
    @JasonPK92

Nice, I have heard whispers about Joker 3/Pro at the start of this year...and it is glad to hear it is still being looked into.

I am sure it is difficult for a team to make progress on such a project with all of the new game releases back to back.

Anyhow, if it gets translated...you know who will be on wifi for battles and such.

* also, lots of bug report emails *

Still surprised to see users here inboxing me for online battles ^_^"

15. Rakidas

Rakidas Gay Pirate Queen

Aug 6, 2015
    Australia
    BE STILL MY HEART :D:D:D:D:D

16. Helmax
    OP

Helmax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    United States
    You have a ways to go my friend. That is just scratching the surface. If you wish to really work on this, assemble more interested people and contact m. I could likely save you a ton of time.

17. legato1

legato1 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 26, 2017
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the translation :D Loved DQM 2 on GBC and also loving this game, just beat the starry tourney and gonna start working on the second tournament now. Trying to find more gates than the 2 in the library, are there more optional gates available during that time?

Is there a list with skillsets somewhere that shows which skills are in them? I cant seem to find them on the googledoc. Also what purpose does it serve to breed a monster up to SS + star rank?

18. GentlemanPotato

GentlemanPotato Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2016
    Skill sets list. Upgrading your monsters to SS+* increases their stat limits and allows you to give it an extra trait

Last edited by GentlemanPotato, May 31, 2017
  19. legato1

legato1 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 26, 2017
    Netherlands
    Cheers. I havent really dabbled in online play yet but since ive completed the posgame i might try breeding up some monsters for that.

20. Azurus

Azurus Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2017
    Canada
    I would avoid any online play until the console ban thing gets fixed/worked around, it's why I haven't been doing anything with it lately. I'm sure everyone's aware given how long its been since the latest post here, but I'm just mentioning it for those who don't know. If it is fixed, well, I can't find any news for that, so feel free to ignore this message.