Hacking Translating a game using the eboot

enigma85

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I've been researching the translations of psp games and I still have yet to figure out how to use a hex editor to find any text in a game. I have gathered tools and I can unpack cpk,apk,bin,pac,etc. to get gim,gmo,pmf,etc. but how in the world do I see text using a hex wditor and the eboot. I got a few umd's I wanna try and translate at least the menus and I've opened the eboot in madedit and switched to JIS encoding but it still looks like gibberish Japanese. Any help for this noob would be awesome. I know everyone says you have to be a programmer to translate and what do you know I am(2 years of c and c++) and I still can't figure it out haha idk if that means I'm just an idiot or what lol. I've searched here and xentex forum and the almighty google ANSI have found little to no information on how to start. Anyone with the time to help someone out please lead menin the right direction. I want to get into the translation scene.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
The data usually isn't stored in the Eboot. It's usually in the game files itself. Those CPKs, APKs, and PACs which you've opened.
Example, Danball Senki. The text is stored in the MenuMessage.BTX, which is in the MenuMessage.PAC, which is in the Install.CPK, which is located under the USRDIR of the UMD.
Gundam AGE. The text is stored in the BIN files inside the C01.CPK under the USRDIR.

It varies from game to game, but it's usually not in the Eboot.

enigma85

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so, if i'm not mistaken, all i need to do is extract all files down as far as possible. look at the files using a hex editor to see if any hold text? i know games differ from each other i'm just trying to figure out a starting point so i can get going on some projects and playing around to get better. i have 3 years of college left and i want to know how to translate games i wanna play that don't come to america by the time i'm done lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.