Homebrew Transferring over Gateway Emunand Data after reformat?

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello I I reformatted my N3DS using to now use arm9loaderhax through this tutorial. Before I had Gateway's Emunand on it, so I linked it with the Luma I have now using this guide. I backed up my N3DS data before I did this, but now I'm having trouble transferring it back, I drag it back into the Gateway/Console mini-SDcard but the .cias I installed are missing along with game updates/DLCs.

How do I fix this (if possible)?

My Sysnand and Emunand are linked, could this be the cause?

1st Link-https://3ds.guide/get-started-(new-3ds)
2nd Link-https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

Last edited by SammyPoke,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
What do you mean by "transferring it back"? And can you explain better what you're doing for the remainder of your post after those words

Edit: you said you formatted. Did you do a system format? If you system format, your console will no longer read the contents of the Nintendo 3DS folder. However that's only if you formatted your emuNAND where I assume all your games and data are. If you are booting into Luma make sure you have emuNAND ticked in the config (accessible by holding Select on boot). Otherwise you'll boot into sysNAND which no longer reads the Nintendo 3DS folder so you won't see your games.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean by "transferring it back"? And can you explain better what you're doing for the remainder of your post after those words

Normally when you reformat your 3DS micro-SD it erases everything and adds fresh files.
-I saved the backup of the Nintendo 3DS folder and everything else in the root of the 3DS, before I reformatted it.
-Once I reformatted it and followed all the steps in the guide I transferred the old data back in the Nintendo 3DS folder.
-However the CIAs installed were no longer there when I booted up into Emunand mode.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Normally when you reformat your 3DS micro-SD it erases everything and adds fresh files.
-I saved the backup of the Nintendo 3DS folder and everything else in the root of the 3DS, before I reformatted it.
-Once I reformatted it and followed all the steps in the guide I transferred the old data back in the Nintendo 3DS folder.
-However the CIAs installed were no longer there when I booted up into Emunand mode.
See my edit above, I think I worked out what you meant :-)

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
See my edit above, I think I worked out what you meant :-)

I do have EmuNand 'ticked' in the Luma Screen that pops up when you hold down select on booting. Still it it's missing the CIAs I had before and game updates.

Does this have anything to do with Emunand and Sysnand being synced?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Are you sure you're booting into emuNAND? When you boot into Luma, does it say Sys or Emu in front of the version (in system settings)? Similarly, when you boot into GW does it say GW3D in front of the version?

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure you're booting into emuNAND? When you boot into Luma, does it say Sys or Emu in front of the version (in system settings)? Similarly, when you boot into GW does it say GW3D in front of the version?

It says EmuNand. And none of the CIAs I had before show up. The same thing happens if I boot into GW EmuNand.

*Also before my Emunand was in 10.7 now it's in 9.0.2. Does that make a difference also?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It says EmuNand. And none of the CIAs I had before show up. The same thing happens if I boot into GW EmuNand.

*Also before my Emunand was in 10.7 now it's in 9.0.2. Does that make a difference also?
Where does it say EmuNand? It should say either Emu or Sys if in Luma, or GW3D or Ver if in Gateway.
If your emuNAND is downgraded, it sounds like you re-flashed your sysNAND to emuNAND at some point, or you're not actually in emuNAND.

Reactions: Zidapi

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Where does it say EmuNand? It should say either Emu or Sys if in Luma, or GW3D or Ver if in Gateway.
If your emuNAND is downgraded, it sounds like you re-flashed your sysNAND to emuNAND at some point, or you're not actually in emuNAND.

In the system settings it says "EmuNand" and if I boot in Gateway it says "GW3D". Both my emuNAND and sysNand are the same version. I can tell for a fact when I boot I'm actually in emuNAND.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
In the system settings it says "EmuNand" and if I boot in Gateway it says "GW3D". Both my emuNAND and sysNand are the same version. I can tell for a fact when I boot I'm actually in emuNAND.
Okay, that's not good.
I have some bad news, the only way your emuNAND could have been downgraded is that you reflashed sysNAND to emuNAND at one point. All the stuff you had on your emuNAND is probably lost forever.

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, that's not good.
I have some bad news, the only way your emuNAND could have been downgraded is that you reflashed sysNAND to emuNAND at one point. All the stuff you had on your emuNAND is probably lost forever.

Well I have a backup of my Gateway saves from before I re-flashed, and those work. It's just the Card2 game saves and all the DLC that I'm missing.

I have a question though. Is there a way I can automatically boot into GW3D instead of emuNAND without having to press/hold a button?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well I have a backup of my Gateway saves from before I re-flashed, and those work. It's just the Card2 games and all the DLC that I'm missing.
Card2 games shouldn't be affected by it, their saves are stored in the ROM itself. Only game that comes to mind that would be affected is Fantasy Life, because it stores the save in SD card extdata, there may be more games like that one.

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I find it strange though that the game updates don't transfer over when I drag the Nintendo 3DS folder back to the micro-sdcard.

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@SammyPoke Restore the most recent emuNAND backup you made before starting the a9lh process.

You might lose some things, but you won't have lost everything.

To restore the most recent emuNAND, all I have to do is drag the Nintendo3DS folder back into the micro sd-card right?

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I find it strange though that the game updates don't transfer over when I drag the Nintendo 3DS folder back to the micro-sdcard.
We don't. All of your installed software was linked to your old 10.7 emuNAND.

Formatting and setting up a new emuNAND based off of your freshly formatted sysNAND, means all that software is no longer linked to your emuNAND/sysNAND.

To restore the most recent emuNAND, all I have to do is drag the Nintendo3DS folder back into the micro sd-card right?
No, I'm afraid not. Sorry.

You would have to have used either emuNANDtool to backup your emuNAND on a PC, or decrypt9 to backup your emuNAND to your SD card, which would then be copied to your PC for safekeeping.

If all you've backed up was the files on your memory card, there's no recovering your content.

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's fine, after looking over everything, it appears I only lost the save data from Fantasy Life (which sucks but I beat the game a long time ago, so it's fine).

I was wondering, is there is a way to boot into GW3D instead of emuNAND WITHOUT pressing any buttons?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It's fine, after looking over everything, it appears I only lost the save data from Fantasy Life (which sucks but I beat the game a long time ago, so it's fine).

I was wondering, is there is a way to boot into GW3D instead of emuNAND WITHOUT pressing any buttons?
Yes, here is a way but it definitely isn't recommended:
"Update" a9lh to v1 (research this before you do it to make sure it won't cause a brick)
Or, uninstall a9lh and install v1 of a9lh (but be careful to use the same versions of the tools that were available at that time)
Then, simply place Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of your SD card instead of Luma's.

You'll no longer be able to use Luma, along with the downsides of Gateway mode like no GBA or DSiWare. Make sure you are using an emuNAND because updating in sysNAND in Gateway mode causes a brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool