Hacking Transferring from EmuNand on Old3DS to B9S on New3DS

AlexShannon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
So I've got an Old3DS that I modded for EmuNand a while ago, and I recently bought a New3DS XL to replace it. The New3DS XL is OFW at the moment, but I would like to transfer my Legit CIA's, Nintendo Store and Miiverse accounts, and all of my eShop games to the new system, and to mod it with B9S. Does anyone know how I can do it? The newest tutorial I can find remotely related to this subject is this one. It doesn't appear to be particularly up to date with the latest modding tools.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So I've got an Old3DS that I modded for EmuNand a while ago, and I recently bought a New3DS XL to replace it. The New3DS XL is OFW at the moment, but I would like to transfer my Legit CIA's, Nintendo Store and Miiverse accounts, and all of my eShop games to the new system, and to mod it with B9S. Does anyone know how I can do it? The newest tutorial I can find remotely related to this subject is this one. It doesn't appear to be particularly up to date with the latest modding tools.
You need to be able to mod the N3DS or you won't be and to play your pirated games. Follow the DSiWare hax tutorial https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware) (first link is for if you own one of the four games already, second is for if you don't).
I would also advise moving your emuNAND to your sysNAND, since having an emuNAND while transferring complicates matters (you'll need to remove the SD card from the O3DS at some point but that will crash the console since emuNAND is running off the SD card). And you should get a microSD in an adapter for the O3DS to make it easier (so you can just take the card out and put it in the N3DS when you need to instead of spending hours and hours on a wireless transfer and have it fail).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

AlexShannon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
You need to be able to mod the N3DS or you won't be and to play your pirated games.
I know that. Modding it was my plan in the end.
Follow the DSiWare hax tutorial https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware) (first link is for if you own one of the four games already, second is for if you don't).
When I put all my info about the system into the site it said I should use the 3DS soundmethod, not the DSiWare method.
I would also advise moving your emuNAND to your sysNAND, since having an emuNAND while transferring complicates matters (you'll need to remove the SD card from the O3DS at some point but that will crash the console since emuNAND is running off the SD card).
So I should mod the Old3DS with B9S first is what you're saying?
And you should get a microSD in an adapter for the O3DS to make it easier (so you can just take the card out and put it in the N3DS when you need to instead of spending hours and hours on a wireless transfer and have it fail).
So I need to clone the SD card onto a micro card before I even start the process?

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would also advise moving your emuNAND to your sysNAND, since having an emuNAND while transferring complicates matters
Hey, I'm considering doing a DSiware transfer instead of waiting for magnethax. You'd suggest I move my emuNAND to sysNAND on my source before starting?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hey, I'm considering doing a DSiware transfer instead of waiting for magnethax. You'd suggest I move my emuNAND to sysNAND on my source before starting?
Yeah would be better. So you don't accidentally make the system crash when you pull out the SD card

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know that. Modding it was my plan in the end.

When I put all my info about the system into the site it said I should use the 3DS soundmethod, not the DSiWare method.

So I should mod the Old3DS with B9S first is what you're saying?

So I need to clone the SD card onto a micro card before I even start the process?
What system version is the N3DS? If 11.3 or below, mod it like normal then do a system transfer. You won't need to worry about DSiWare hax. I was assuming that since you already had a modded system, you knew what you were doing, so if the N3DS was still stock it must be on 11.4 or above or you would have modded it already (or you thought system transferring would keep the pirated games).

I'm a bit confused as to what you have. I thought you had a modded O3DS and a stock N3DS on 11.4 or 11.5. What is the status of your O3DS? If you're using menuhax or anything older than that, follow https://3ds.guide. If it has A9LH then follow https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s. If your N3DS is on 11.3 or below then also just follow https://3ds.guide. If it is on 11.4 or above then mod your O3DS first and then use DSiWare hax to mod your N3DS.

Reactions: Zidapi

AlexShannon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
What system version is the N3DS? If 11.3 or below, mod it like normal then do a system transfer. You won't need to worry about DSiWare hax. I was assuming that since you already had a modded system, you knew what you were doing, so if the N3DS was still stock it must be on 11.4 or above or you would have modded it already (or you thought system transferring would keep the pirated games).

I'm a bit confused as to what you have. I thought you had a modded O3DS and a stock N3DS on 11.4 or 11.5. What is the status of your O3DS? If you're using menuhax or anything older than that, follow https://3ds.guide. If it has A9LH then follow https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s. If your N3DS is on 11.3 or below then also just follow https://3ds.guide. If it is on 11.4 or above then mod your O3DS first and then use DSiWare hax to mod your N3DS.
Modded Old3DS with 9.2.0-20U and RX-E 11.0.0-33U emuNAND booting through the left shoulder-button and RXtools as I modded it before A9LH came out, and a stock N3DS that's on 11.0.0-33U. I literally just got this New3DS XL yesterday, so I've been doing some research ahead of time. The O3DS has been left unused for a while as I've been too busy to play games or update the modification.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are the steps you should follow. Some of the steps are not required, but they're recommended so you don't accidentally lose CFW on your old O3DS:
  1. Install B9S to your N3DS using all of this guide: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)
  2. Install B9S to your O3DS using all of this guide on your 9.2 sysNAND: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)
  3. If you completed both of the above steps following all of the guide on each 3DS, you should have B9S and Luma3DS on both 3DS systems, each on 11.5. During Step #2, the guide should have walked you through transferring your emuNAND to your sysNAND on the O3DS. If any of this information isn't right, then you need to stop and check which parts of the guides you skipped.
  4. Backup any save files on the O3DS that are important to you using JKSM. Save files from pirated games on the O3DS will be lost if you don't.
  5. Perform a system transfer from the O3DS to the N3DS.
  6. Reinstall any missing titles and restore any missing save games on the N3DS.
If the first part of Step #2 gives you any trouble, you can follow these steps to install B9S on the 9.2 O3DS (it's an easier method of installing B9S on 9.2). After B9S is installed on the O3DS, you can resume the rest of the guide in Step #2.

Last edited by Lacius,

AlexShannon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Okay, so when I tried to do this on my New3DS it booted into the Luma3DS menu instead of the one specified, and when I verified that everything was as it was supposed to be, the Soundhax started throwing up an error and I couldn't get back to the Homebrew menu.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Okay, so when I tried to do this on my New3DS it booted into the Luma3DS menu instead of the one specified, and when I verified that everything was as it was supposed to be, the Soundhax started throwing up an error and I couldn't get back to the Homebrew menu.
You can't use SoundHax after installing B9S and using an up to date Luma. You can use Rosalina.

Reactions: Lacius

AlexShannon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Okay, so apparently I thought it skipped the B9S installation despite it having done so, and in my haste to try and get it to install b9S I forgot to select the option to
“Show NAND or user string in System Settings”

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so apparently I thought it skipped the B9S installation despite it having done so, and in my haste to try and get it to install b9S I forgot to select the option to
“Show NAND or user string in System Settings”
Hold Select while booting up, and you can change your settings.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Lacius @Quantumcat
Alright, so I'm about to do a new3DS to new2DS XL system transfer (both are b9s sysNAND setups), I just want to clarify one thing.

So I realise homebrew apps won't transfer because they don't have legit tickets. Is it just a case of backing up my tickets before the transfer, then restoring them post transfer, to get everything reappearing back where they were on the source system?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
@Lacius @Quantumcat
Alright, so I'm about to do a new3DS to new2DS XL system transfer (both are b9s sysNAND setups), I just want to clarify one thing.

So I realise homebrew apps won't transfer because they don't have legit tickets. Is it just a case of backing up my tickets before the transfer, then restoring them post transfer, to get everything reappearing back where they were on the source system?
Yep that should work - I only ever used tikShop in my own transfers but I don't see why backing up the tickets on the source and restoring them on the target wouldn't work (I have been telling people to do that and no one has come back and complained that it didn't work).

Reactions: Zidapi

AlexShannon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Here are the steps you should follow. Some of the steps are not required, but they're recommended so you don't accidentally lose CFW on your old O3DS:
  1. Install B9S to your N3DS using all of this guide: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)
  2. Install B9S to your O3DS using all of this guide on your 9.2 sysNAND: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)
  3. If you completed both of the above steps following all of the guide on each 3DS, you should have B9S and Luma3DS on both 3DS systems, each on 11.5. During Step #2, the guide should have walked you through transferring your emuNAND to your sysNAND on the O3DS. If any of this information isn't right, then you need to stop and check which parts of the guides you skipped.
  4. Backup any save files on the O3DS that are important to you using JKSM. Save files from pirated games on the O3DS will be lost if you don't.
  5. Perform a system transfer from the O3DS to the N3DS.
  6. Reinstall any missing titles and restore any missing save games on the N3DS.
If the first part of Step #2 gives you any trouble, you can follow these steps to install B9S on the 9.2 O3DS (it's an easier method of installing B9S on 9.2). After B9S is installed on the O3DS, you can resume the rest of the guide in Step #2.
In backing up saves I followed this guide because this post didn't have a good breakdown. Is that enough?

AlexShannon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Okay, I just installed the CIA and went down the list of games, then transferred those to my system. Plus I made backups of both SD cards to my hard-drive, including disk images.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm