Hacking Transfer Pokemon save file between emulator rom and real console?

Victiniworth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so I have been looking for the answer for so long, many people tell me it's not possible, many people tell me it is.

If I use a GBA emulator on a computer such as VBA to play ROMS of Pokemon Emerald for example.

Can I then perhaps with the use of flash cards, transfer my save and carry on playing on a real GBA or preferably, a DS lite? I am willing to go to great legnths and spend a lot of money if need be.

Thanks everyone.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a DS Lite and a DS flash cart, you can use this: http://gamebrew.org/wiki/GBA_Backup_Tool .

You can also copy in the other direction (from real cart to SD), but if you do that make sure you're copying in the right direction--the instructions are not written very well and you don't want to trash the save on your cart by copying in the wrong direction.

Reactions: RocketSpyKid

Home_Rowed

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One thing you may need to be wary of when switching a Pokemon RSE save from emulator to cartridge. I've only tested on Sapphire, but may still apply to Emerald. Is that the "date" in the game save is out of sync with how the battery reports the "date." If you try talking to the man who gives you return he might say come back in any number of thousands of days. There maybe a way to fix it with the Emerald clock patch made by someone on GBAtemp. It adds a changeable clock to every pokemon center. Actually the "A-Save Editor" by KazoWar is the better tool for that issue. It has an Real Time Clock (RTC) Reset, and change date and time of the RTC, which you may need to hone in on to what the battery wants the date to be.

Victiniworth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow thanks guys, so it is possible :P I am new to this so I'm sorry for being such a hassle but I would be so grateful if you could walk me through this.

There is another question I wanted to ask. Is there a way to trade pokemon to myself between two ROMS from emulator to emulator?

The game saves I want to be able to transfer are: Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald to begin with, and then I was wondering about pearl diamond platinum and heart gold and silver.

So what do I need, I am confused with the terminology, do I need one small flash card (top of DS lite) and one big flash card (bottom of DS lite or GBA)? Do I need some sort of adapter to plug them into my PC? Do I need any software, i am confused about patching? I am looking at the link but it seems i may have to have prior knowledge to understand some bits. Thanks so much.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Wow thanks guys, so it is possible :P I am new to this so I'm sorry for being such a hassle but I would be so grateful if you could walk me through this.

There is another question I wanted to ask. Is there a way to trade pokemon to myself between two ROMS from emulator to emulator?

The game saves I want to be able to transfer are: Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald to begin with, and then I was wondering about pearl diamond platinum and heart gold and silver.

So what do I need, I am confused with the terminology, do I need one small flash card (top of DS lite) and one big flash card (bottom of DS lite or GBA)? Do I need some sort of adapter to plug them into my PC? Do I need any software, i am confused about patching? I am looking at the link but it seems i may have to have prior knowledge to understand some bits. Thanks so much.

you can:
edit the saves using software (and pkm files) for everything. (you can either edit the gba games or the DS games)
you can also:
trade between gba games on the emulator (you must configure the emulator and open 2 windows of the emulator to trade)

YOU CAN'T:
trasfer pokemons from a gba flashcart to a rom\real cartridge. you must use a real gba card for this transfer... (however you can use desmume emulator for this)
trade pokemon from a 4gen game (the DS ones) to another 4gen game on an emulator. (for do this, you need to use 2 DS (or a dsi or a 3ds) consoles

Victiniworth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you can:
edit the saves using software (and pkm files) for everything. (you can either edit the gba games or the DS games)
you can also:
trade between gba games on the emulator (you must configure the emulator and open 2 windows of the emulator to trade)

YOU CAN'T:
trasfer pokemons from a gba flashcart to a rom\real cartridge. you must use a real gba card for this transfer... (however you can use desmume emulator for this)
trade pokemon from a 4gen game (the DS ones) to another 4gen game on an emulator. (for do this, you need to use 2 DS (or a dsi or a 3ds) consoles

Ok thank you for your advice. I am still confused. To simplify, this is all I really want to know

If I play pokemon emerald ROM on computer

can I get those pokemon into fourth gen games on a real DS lite?

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Ok thank you for your advice. I am still confused. To simplify, this is all I really want to know

If I play pokemon emerald ROM on computer

can I get those pokemon into fourth gen games on a real DS lite?

if you ask about what exactly you want to do is easier to explain (like you just did)

you can do it in 3 ways.
you transfer the save to a real pokemon cartridge then use pal park (the 4th gen transfer tool) the pal park only works with a real gba pokemon game

or you can edit the save on a 4th gen game to include that pokemon
for this you need to make a backup of your 4th gen save, then edit it on a save editor and "inject" the stuff you want
then you restore the save back to the real pokemon cartridge and done.

there is another way, you can load both 4th gen and 3rd gen games on desmume (nds emulator) and use the pokepark in the emulator

tell me which way you want to go and i can describe it in detail
i can't help you with the second way because i never tried to use save editors but other gbatempers can help you with that, usually they just edit the save and go, but i preefer to use the palpark thing...

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't transfer Pokemon from a GBA flash cart to a DS game, because the GBA flash cart is patched to be able to save the game, and the DS game doesn't know that it is patched so it messes up when it tries to find the saved game. You have to put the save on a real Pokemon cart (probably using GBA backup tool).

For a similar reason you can't transfer Pokemon from a GBA flash cart to XD or Colosseum.

Victiniworth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if you ask about what exactly you want to do is easier to explain (like you just did)

you can do it in 3 ways.
you transfer the save to a real pokemon cartridge then use pal park (the 4th gen transfer tool) the pal park only works with a real gba pokemon game

or you can edit the save on a 4th gen game to include that pokemon
for this you need to make a backup of your 4th gen save, then edit it on a save editor and "inject" the stuff you want
then you restore the save back to the real pokemon cartridge and done.

there is another way, you can load both 4th gen and 3rd gen games on desmume (nds emulator) and use the pokepark in the emulator

tell me which way you want to go and i can describe it in detail
i can't help you with the second way because i never tried to use save editors but other gbatempers can help you with that, usually they just edit the save and go, but i preefer to use the palpark thing...

Thank you so much. I think I would like to know how to do the first way and the third way, but I have no idea where to start. I was unaware that there was even a working NDS emulator available. Which way I use would also depend on the answer to this question,

If I play fourth generation games on ROMS on desmume, is there any way I can transfer those saves or pokemon so I can play them on a real NDS?

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thank you so much. I think I would like to know how to do the first way and the third way, but I have no idea where to start. I was unaware that there was even a working NDS emulator available. Which way I use would also depend on the answer to this question,

If I play fourth generation games on ROMS on desmume, is there any way I can transfer those saves or pokemon so I can play them on a real NDS?

yes, you can even use your retail cartridge save (and should)

for do either the first way or third way you need to have pal park available (defeat the pokemon league)

tell me what you have?
for make it simplier tell me:

what flashcarts do you own?
what real game cartridge do you own, and which ones you want to use?

i could try to make a generic guide, but i will make it specific for make it simplier.

there are several working DS emulatores, one is NO$GBA (ignore the gba, it works with nds games too) but no$gba is a bit basic... DESMUME is a great emulator with lots of functions
i am not sure if i can link to desmume download page but here it goes: http://desmume.org/download/

tell me what games\flashcarts you own and i will assist you to configure stuff

Victiniworth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes, you can even use your retail cartridge save (and should)

for do either the first way or third way you need to have pal park available (defeat the pokemon league)

tell me what you have?
for make it simplier tell me:

what flashcarts do you own?
what real game cartridge do you own, and which ones you want to use?

i could try to make a generic guide, but i will make it specific for make it simplier.

there are several working DS emulatores, one is NO$GBA (ignore the gba, it works with nds games too) but no$gba is a bit basic... DESMUME is a great emulator with lots of functions
i am not sure if i can link to desmume download page but here it goes: http://desmume.org/download/

tell me what games\flashcarts you own and i will assist you to configure stuff

thanks again for your reply I have a real NDS Lite, and pokemon platinum. I have no flash cards at all yet (but willing to buy) I have pokemon emerald ROM on VisualBoyAdvance emulator. I want to be able to play my Emerald save game on my real DS Lite, or if I can't do that, then at least trade the pokemon to pokemon platinum. I also want to start playing Soul Silver ROM on DESMUME, and eventually want to play the Soul Silver save, or if I can't do that, then at least trade the pokemon to other higher generation games.

The reason I want to do this is very complicated and it is to do with an illness I have that makes it not always possible to use a hand held console but computer is more accessible for me, I do still want to battle and trade with people using real consoles though and I don't want to miss out because I started the game on a computer emulator. I would like to learn from the beginning about all the different ways in which I can transfer saves and pokemon from emulators to real consoles using flash cards and any other equipment or software I might need. I want a good understanding of how everything works so it is flexible for me whenever I want to swap from computer to real console.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
thanks again for your reply I have a real NDS Lite, and pokemon platinum. I have no flash cards at all yet (but willing to buy) I have pokemon emerald ROM on VisualBoyAdvance emulator. I want to be able to play my Emerald save game on my real DS Lite, or if I can't do that, then at least trade the pokemon to pokemon platinum. I also want to start playing Soul Silver ROM on DESMUME, and eventually want to play the Soul Silver save, or if I can't do that, then at least trade the pokemon to other higher generation games.

The reason I want to do this is very complicated and it is to do with an illness I have that makes it not always possible to use a hand held console but computer is more accessible for me, I do still want to battle and trade with people using real consoles though and I don't want to miss out because I started the game on a computer emulator. I would like to learn from the beginning about all the different ways in which I can transfer saves and pokemon from emulators to real consoles using flash cards and any other equipment or software I might need. I want a good understanding of how everything works so it is flexible for me whenever I want to swap from computer to real console.

ok, while you don't get a DS flashcart, you can't do much with your real cartridges, for transfer or use theese tools you need a flashcart

however, you can play on desmume emulator, freely and even transfer pokemons from a gba game to a DS game on desmume
however you will not be able to copy the things to your real carts whitout a flashcart (there was a way to do it without flashcarts, but used a service that nintendo closed...)

just play on desmume, when you get a flashcart, yes you will be able to transfer everything to a original cartridge

play a gen4 game on desmume until you get pal park then
you can load the gba game on desmume using this option:
if you choose your gba game on this option, it will be able to transfer pokemons from the gba game to the DS one
(its just like if you had the ds game and gba game both on the console)

desmume gba transfer.png

do you have any more questions?

in case i was not clear, when you get a flashcart, you be able to cross transfer the saves between the real carts and the emulators as you like
t

do you want me to explain, how do you transfer pokemons between gba games? that must be done in the gba emulator, but if you plan to move them to the 4 gen there is no use on doing that...

Victiniworth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks i will move my 3 gen pokemon to 4 gen using desmume :) then i will buy a flash card, then how do i get them onto real console? Also is there a way to do this in reverse for if i want to get pokemon off 4 gen real cartridge and put them on desmume? i think i almost understand now :)

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
thanks i will move my 3 gen pokemon to 4 gen using desmume :) then i will buy a flash card, then how do i get them onto real console? Also is there a way to do this in reverse for if i want to get pokemon off 4 gen real cartridge and put them on desmume? i think i almost understand now :)

thats why you need a DS flashcart, once you have it, i tell you how you do it

but when you have the flashcart, you can copy your save from your real pokemon card to the computer (and use it on desmume)
or you can copy the desmume save into your real cartridge
you can also do this with gba cartridges..

please note, you will need to connect your DS to your computer\router wifi
either use wifi for transfer the saves, or a SLOT 2 flashcart, like EZ IV.. (i don't know about ez 3 in 1)

Victiniworth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok thankyou, i will use desmume and come back when i have bought a DS flashcart :) I much appreciate the help you have given me. :)

Danielle98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats why you need a DS flashcart, once you have it, i tell you how you do it

but when you have the flashcart, you can copy your save from your real pokemon card to the computer (and use it on desmume)
or you can copy the desmume save into your real cartridge
you can also do this with gba cartridges..

please note, you will need to connect your DS to your computer\router wifi
either use wifi for transfer the saves, or a SLOT 2 flashcart, like EZ IV.. (i don't know about ez 3 in 1)

I was wondering if the solution you had to transfer save file still works. I plan on getting a DS, flashcard and 3ds soon. If you have to private message the solution that is ok. Thanks again for any help.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I was wondering if the solution you had to transfer save file still works. I plan on getting a DS, flashcard and 3ds soon. If you have to private message the solution that is ok. Thanks again for any help.
nowadays for DS saves you only require a 3ds with cfw

you can still do it with a DS and a slot 1 flashcart like a DSTWO, the tools are still available (and i still have them anyway)
but with a hacked 3ds it makes the job simplier and doesnt' require a flashcart

to hack 3ds you can follow the guide on my signature

as for GBA games (sappire, ruby, emerald, firered, leafgreen) you need a DS (fat or lite)
only theese 2 consoles got the gba slot.. and you need the flashcart to launch the tools on NDS

i think there was ways to do it with a GBA and a special cable, but i have no info about this, however, getting the ds lite+slot 1 flashcart is the simpliest solution for the gba games
(get a dstwo, it's the best NDS flashcart)

Last edited by migles,

CMflexx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I have been looking for the answer for so long, many people tell me it's not possible, many people tell me it is.

If I use a GBA emulator on a computer such as VBA to play ROMS of Pokemon Emerald for example.

Can I then perhaps with the use of flash cards, transfer my save and carry on playing on a real GBA or preferably, a DS lite? I am willing to go to great legnths and spend a lot of money if need be.

Thanks everyone.
I too am trying to use a save file from a fire red rom. I use my boy and changed devices. Transferred the files but the rom did not transfer correctly so I re downloaded it and it is just not offering a continue option. What exactly shall I do?

Pushy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this still work? Because I have a save file of a GBA rom and a DraStic save. Can I copy them to a PC and download Desmume to transfer my gen 3 Pokemon to gen 4 and then use a flash card to pass them over to a DS carriage of diamond? And BTW after getting the flash cart I don't know what to do to transfer it to an actual game of Pokemon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM