Hardware Transfer 3DS Content Between Regions

Heredity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm in what is probably quite a common (yet seemingly unsearchable) position:

When I heard about the region locking on the 3DS' games, I went ahead and bought a 3DS from the United States. I live in Australia, and in the past we've proven to not really get every game on DS. I figured it'd turn out to be the same situation, but without the ability to import games and play them on an Australian/European system. Also, the console was a fair bit cheaper from the States. Later, though, it's become apparent that most games released for the 3DS in the USA have come out here as well. Also, I can't use any of the location-based services (which is a let down) other than Streetpass.

Well, I want to now buy an Australian 3DSXL. However, I have an Ambassador 3DS with the 20 free Ambassador games loaded onto it (as well as some other games purchased from the eShop). I'd rather not lose that.

Is it seriously impossible for me to transfer the content from my US 3DS to an AU 3DSXL? Can't I just take out the SD card and slot it into the 3DSXL (or just transfer it to another SD card via my computer)? I mean, I don't care too much for my Miis, friend codes and the like not being transferred.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
You can't just transfer it to the new SD card since they are locked to your original 3DS.
The only way to do it is to do a system transfer, and it's impossible to do a system transfer between two different region 3DS.

Reactions: 1 person

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
System transfer will not work between regions.

And I think all content from a US region (inc saves and stuff) will not work on a PAL console.

Heredity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's quite unfortunate. You would have thought someone had figured out a way to do so by now.

I suppose I can always sell the unit on Ebay as an Ambassador 3DS... If I wipe the system, will it still retain Ambassador status?

Heredity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's quite unfortunate. You would have thought someone had figured out a way to do so by now.

I suppose I can always sell the unit on Ebay as an Ambassador 3DS... If I wipe the system, will it still retain Ambassador status?

If you format it: yes.

Well, I guess I can stand losing 20 games I've already played to death if it means it'll go for a fair bit on Ebay. The convenience would be worth it.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Well, I guess I can stand losing 20 games I've already played to death if it means it'll go for a fair bit on Ebay. The convenience would be worth it.

Well I am 99% sure you'll keep the games when you formate your System.

Heredity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Odd. I would have assumed it'd actually format the SD card when you choose to, y'know, format the SD card.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Odd. I would have assumed it'd actually format the SD card when you choose to, y'know, format the SD card.

Well I am 99% sure you can redownload them lol my wrong. But it does not format the SD card tho.

Heredity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Well I am 99% sure you can redownload them lol my wrong. But it does not format the SD card tho.

Since my U.S. account will no longer be associated with the system, will someone that loads up their new account be able to access the Ambassador program?

I guess that was what I was asking, haha.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Ambassador games ""should"" what I know not be account based, it should instead be console based.
Not entirely sure.

But if you do a factory format, the eshop account should still be linked with the 3DS.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Since my U.S. account will no longer be associated with the system, will someone that loads up their new account be able to access the Ambassador program?

I guess that was what I was asking, haha.

Well you need to keep you eShop account! Else your future buyer won't be able to get those games.

Heredity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ambassador games ""should"" what I know not be account based, it should instead be console based.
Not entirely sure.

But if you do a factory format, the eshop account should still be linked with the 3DS.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Thank you for your help.

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Ambassador games are tied to your eShop account. If you log out of that, but keep the games on the console, they're stay there until they're deleted.

Heredity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd imagine you have a bunch of retail carts for your 3DS system, so instead of selling it, get an American XL. That's what I would do, at least. Good luck.
Would it surprise you if I said I didn't, as import costs and availability aren't too enticing? The prices of the games are cheaper, but all that shipping isn't. Plus, Nintendo (or other publishing companies) don't like some games to be exported from the United States (at least on Amazon that's the case).

retrodoctor said:
The Ambassador games are tied to your eShop account. If you log out of that, but keep the games on the console, they're stay there until they're deleted.

I figured if I removed my account, unlinked the console from my account and then deleted the games from the 3DS a new buyer would be able to log in and link their account to my 3DS and download the Ambassador games. Well, that's what has been said previously in the thread.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd imagine you have a bunch of retail carts for your 3DS system, so instead of selling it, get an American XL. That's what I would do, at least. Good luck.
Would it surprise you if I said I didn't, as import costs and availability aren't too enticing? The prices of the games are cheaper, but all that shipping isn't. Plus, Nintendo (or other publishing companies) don't like some games to be exported from the United States (at least on Amazon that's the case).

Allow me to introduce you to the world of Play-Asia.
Games from all regions, at the original price (maybe about 2-5 dollars more expensive sometimes) and very, very cheap high-quality accessories from different regions as well. Oh and worldwide shipping that isn't expensive.

In the end it's up to you, just suggesting an alternative method. :)

Heredity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Allow me to introduce you to the world of Play-Asia.
Games from all regions, at the original price (maybe about 2-5 dollars more expensive sometimes) and very, very cheap high-quality accessories from different regions as well. Oh and worldwide shipping that isn't expensive.

In the end it's up to you, just suggesting an alternative method. :)

I'm aware of Play-Asia, it doesn't really solve the whole location-based services problem though. Plus, I can't play DSIware titles multiplayer with other folk with Australia consoles. Just doesn't want to happen, and it's fairly annoying.

Would rather just go for an Australian unit, haha.

WiiKiing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/issues/798
Based on this link i am going to try region changing my Japanese o3dsxl console to eur (which i have done before) then performing a system transfer from my other o3dsxl which is an actual eur console in the hope that three Japanese console will then behave as a legit eur console.

Maybe you can think of something that may work for you with this info

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: New Ninjas welcome :ninja: