Hardware Trading my 7.1 3DS for a 4.5-or-lower one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case anyone gets excited by this offer, keep in mind I'm not positive I want to do this yet for multiple reasons, including the one mentioned in the edit at the bottom. I'm mainly posting this to gauge interest for the idea. Also this seems like the kind of thing some forums may prohibit, so I checked the rules and I don't see anything that would prohibit this. If I am mistaken, feel free to lock the thread.

I'm thinking about getting one of Gateway's cheaper clones, provided they've fixed the issue that's causing bricks. (This is the main reason I'm not sure if I want to do this yet--I know the original Gateway team added malicious code to try and combat clones, which is why I don't want to support them.) But I've heard (and I'm not surprised) that it doesn't work on the latest firmware. Problem is, I'm on 7.1, as I had to upgrade to play Pokemon X.

What I'm asking is if perhaps someone here has a 3DS that they aren't interested in using Gateway on, if you would want to trade yours for mine. I'd pay for all shipping charges, and perhaps a small handling fee we can agree on that you can keep for yourself to make up for the inconvenience.

Again, if there isn't a Gateway clone that is confirmed to have all bricking code removed, I have no reason to want a lower firmware at this time, and therefore wouldn't want to trade. But if so, I might want to once I do some more research.

Thank you!

EDIT: I feel kind of stupid; I just remembered my brother also has one that he might not have used in a while. I asked him and he's not sure if he wants to, but just in case he doesn't, I'll leave this thread up for now.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its worth noting you are battling things.

By supporting Gateway you are supporting Piracy and Hypocrites, but at least they know what they are doing (so some respect for their abilities?).
By supporting clones you are supporting Piracy and Laziness, as well as getting far less features.

I would still go with Gateway, if you are already pirating, you might as well get the most features. That said, the clone MT-Card also has multi-rom and is really good at copying Gateway.

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not exactly their hypocrisy I don't support, it's the fact that they intentionally put code in them specifically to brick consoles I don't support. I wouldn't care if they were hypocrites if they weren't doing anything to hurt their customers. (Yes, their customers--that region free hack mistakenly triggered the code.) For some reason I find it hard to trust companies that have been known to intentionally distribute malware with their products.

Also as far as piracy goes, I never said I was pirating anything. (Although I have no problem with people who do.) I like feeling like I actually own my hardware, and the idea of having firmware booted from the SD card via emunand sounds appealing to me. Presumably you'd be able to install your own firmware on it as well. I assume the emunand firmware doesn't need to be digitally signed by Nintendo, as why would Gateway require that?

Or is there something I'm misunderstanding?

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't the fact that Gateway put bricking code in their firmware design to affect clones... steer you away from the clones, instead of the cart the firmware is designed for?

I don't particularly care whether or not you are supporting developers or pirating (this is not a thread to discuss that again), but there's no point putting morals in the case of buying a flashcart, you're either buying the premium product designed to bypass Nintendo's checks or a knockoff designed to bypass Gateway's checks in order to bypass Nintendo's checks. Either way, neither flashcart company really deserves the money, but Gateway is objectively better.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there actually are people out there who don't pirate. Temp's kinda a bad place to look for one though since the sample's rather...biased.
'

True, but if I were to look at the prices on e-bay, there's around a $50 difference (comparing fully working used consoles).

katsup

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The monetary value of a 3DS with 4.5 firmware is higher than a 3DS with higher firmware.

Sell your current 3DS and buy one with 4.5 firmware off eBay.

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would someone who isn't a pirate/homebrewer keep a 3DS on a 2 year old firmware that limits them to playing games that require firmware 4.5 or lower, stops them playing online and stops access to the E-shop?

Reactions: gamefan5

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dunno, maybe lost interest 2 years ago and just remembered it now?
I sold my 7.1 for $150 and bought a 4.5+gateway for $180. So it's not impossible to get a trade with equal monetary value lawl.

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would someone who isn't a pirate/homebrewer keep a 3DS on a 2 year old firmware that limits them to playing games that require firmware 4.5 or lower, stops them playing online and stops access to the E-shop?
Yeah, that's a pretty good point. My reasoning was maybe someone was here because of another console they were interested in hacking, and hadn't used their 3DS in a long time. But yeah, I was pretty tired when I posted this and apparently hadn't given it enough thought.

If it's that unlikely, I wouldn't be upset if this thread was locked. Unless a moderator still thinks it's worth keeping of course.

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah.OP would have to top up some money. Might be easier to sell off your 7.1 and get a 4.x

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forum bartering is only allowed in the respective Buying, selling, and trading forums. You must have enough posts (mostly for reputation sake) before they become visible to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome