Hardware Toshiba Satellite Can it be used?

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So for about 3 years(somewhere around there) i have been using a world computer in the world. My monitor in the first place is made by a Company called "Orion". Its gigantic. Not the screen, the monitor itself. Its HUGE. I mean the back. It takes up like 10 textbooks. Or its like a size of a Mini/Small TV. Enough about the screen, back on topic.
I've been browsing Newegg.com and found myself in the Laptop section. This is unusual because i never wanted a Laptop. Used one before because my computer was getting fixed(after it got blowed by a virus).

The Laptop is a Toshiba Sattellite- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834114433
Some Info about the Laptop:
Price:$649.99
On Sale:$599.99 on 2/23/08
Brand:Toshiba
Model:A215-S5802
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type:AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57 1.9G
Screen:15.4" WXGA
Memory Size:1GB DDR2
Hard Disk:120GB
Optical Drive:DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card:ATI Radeon X1200 IGP
Video Memory:shared memory
Communication:Modem, LAN and WLAN
Card slot:1 x Express Card
Dimensions:14.3" x 10.6" x 1.32-1.55"
Weight:5.78 lbs. (I dont care about the weight. Im not going to carry it around alot.)

So will it be worth my $599.99(not including shipping?)

Reason why i choose this: Cheap, I just need a computer. I like Apple(never had one, wanted one once) but too expensive. And this money is from leftovers.

Can it be used as a gaming computer?
And since its going to be used as a gaming laptop, anyone got a good choice of Mouses?
Please provide link with the mouse name.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sounds a bit low on the RAM ( I would like 2GB if I were to run Vista..)
If you'r no "Power-user" then that might do it.
Don't expect to play the latest games tho
tongue.gif
oh, now i saw that the GFX card shares the memory with RAM.. then definitely 2GB RAM atleast.

EDIT: and now i saw that u've added that it is gonna be a "gaming PC"
hmm, bump up the price a tad bit, and you might get a slightly better GFX card, and 2GB RAM, that should do it for many games.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
So for about 3 years(somewhere around there) i have been using a world computer in the world
World computer? wtf are you talking about.
QUOTE said:
My monitor in the first place is made by a Company called "Orion". Its gigantic. Not the screen, the monitor itself. Its HUGE. I mean the back. It takes up like 10 textbooks. Or its like a size of a Mini/Small TV.
You are describing a CRT monitor, which are essentially small TVs (yes there are some differences, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't care). Monitors have always been that thick, the thin ones you are thinking of are called LCD monitors and are significantly more expensive (and can be bought apart from the computer, if that is your main issue with your computer)

About the laptop:
What do you want the computer to do? What's wrong with your last one? Have you considered the eeePC laptop?

EDIT
Can it be used as a gaming computer?
If you don't really need a laptop, you should go for a desktop computer. That laptop would play older games, but not much else. For that price you could get a computer that could run most games, and still be able to be upgraded when needed (unlike a laptop)
As far as a mouse, you could probably just use the one that goes with your old computer

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a really good computer, try this.
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=752462
It was posted on SD yesterday and it's on sale, so you should get it cause it's gonna expire soon. It's a really really really powerful laptop capable of running quite a few games. My parents have a laptop which is similar, the only difference being the graphics card, theres being a 512 8600gts, and the screen size. It's a little more than the other computer, but it's really good.

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, im going to buy more RAM. Can anyone recommend? For laptop of course.
And is it possible to:
Copy Windows Vista on a CD and uninstall it? Then install Windows XP? Im not a fan of Vista. And I heard there are many problems.

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Graphics Card:ATI Radeon X1200 IGP

hell no

what game you wanna play ?

Well not really a gaming computer. Not "full" but like once in a while. Maybe CSS(Counter Strike Source) or something. Nothing major. Like nothing like WoW. I tried it (useing friends account) and it was boring as hell. I think its a waste of time.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Toshiba Satellite:
Ram: 1 Gig
Graphics Card: 256 MB nvidia geforce go 7600
Harddrive: 150 Gig(It said 160 gig when I bought...turned out 150 o.o)
Processor: 1.6 Dual Core
Note: That laptop is same in everthing as my dell one, except my dell has 40 gig harddrive.

I bought it 1 year ago in Austria. I use it alot, and its fine for me. I play Unreal Tournament 2004, NFS Carbon and other games on it.
Newer games wont work but its a good one for rough use.
If you dont fancy gaming, it should be fine for you.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you still buying this, when you can get a much better one for a same price, which we've mentioned several times.

Are you really that stupid?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...