The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Heya guys, I just wanted to ask some questions about torrenting programs.
I use Bittorrent, never had a problem with it but I noticed it takes up a lot of bandwidth. So is there any way I can change the settings or is there a better torrenting program in my case? Cause my bandwidth is going out like crazy, I have 4 gigs left and I had 85 the start of the month.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
The majority of that is probably from uploaded data. Once a torrent is finished download (As well as whilst being downloaded), the client uploads the files to others who are trying to download it.
Simply stopping the torrent from seeding will prevent this, however is a fairly bad idea as it can cause torrents to die quickly (You should always seed a torrent back for a 1:1 ratio).

Wasted data is a problem. Have you ever been downloading something via your browser and the download cut out somewhere along the way and got corrupted? Bittorrent clients solve this problem by performing crc checks on the parts[of the torrent], if the crc is incorrect, the bittorent client will attempt to redownload the incorrect data.

You have several options:
1. Limit your upload speed to a reasonable speed that won't kill your internet data. (Recommended)
2. Stop torrents from seeding. (This is known as 'hit and run' and is considered a bad practice, as well as harmful to torrent and could get you banned from certain sites). (Not Recommended)
3. Seed torrents back 1:1 and then stop them from seeding. (Recommended)
4. Monitor the wasted data to verify that it's not caused by constant redownloading of bad parts. (Slim chance that here lies the problem)
5. Don't torrent...

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
As for programs, on most of my PC's I have uTorrent and on my gamming desktop I have Tixati. Those are the only two that I still use nowadays, plus, the programs are very light.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
The majority of that is probably from uploaded data. Once a torrent is finished download (As well as whilst being downloaded), the client uploads the files to others who are trying to download it.
Simply stopping the torrent from seeding will prevent this, however is a fairly bad idea as it can cause torrents to die quickly (You should always seed a torrent back for a 1:1 ratio).

Wasted data is a problem. Have you ever been downloading something via your browser and the download cut out somewhere along the way and got corrupted? Bittorrent clients solve this problem by performing crc checks on the parts[of the torrent], if the crc is incorrect, the bittorent client will attempt to redownload the incorrect data.

You have several options:
1. Limit your upload speed to a reasonable speed that won't kill your internet data. (Recommended)
2. Stop torrents from seeding. (This is known as 'hit and run' and is considered a bad practice, as well as harmful to torrent and could get you banned from certain sites). (Not Recommended)
3. Seed torrents back 1:1 and then stop them from seeding. (Recommended)
4. Monitor the wasted data to verify that it's not caused by constant redownloading of bad parts. (Slim chance that here lies the problem)
5. Don't torrent...

Ah, I think I'll go with a minimum upload speed. Thanks for the info guys!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ah, I think I'll go with a minimum upload speed. Thanks for the info guys!
Note that this will also limit your download speed, at least that was my experience.
The system is set up so that people who upload will be prioritized over people who don't. I gained no benefit from limiting my upload speed back when it was really slow, because it severely affected my download speed as well.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Note that this will also limit your download speed, at least that was my experience.
The system is set up so that people who upload will be prioritized over people who don't. I gained no benefit from limiting my upload speed back when it was really slow, because it severely affected my download speed as well.

I'll give it a go anyway, if the download speed doesn't decrease for me a lot then it'll be great.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about Bittorrent, but with uTorrent you can go into the preferences and set up a "transfer cap" that will automatically stop any torrents running once the cap has been reached within a certain number of days. If I were you, I'd set it to around 10GB under your data cap so you'll have enough bandwidth for whatever else.

RuUgBg2.png

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Hah, nice. I'll check that out.
Also, is there a way to limit youtube's upload speed? Cause my net speed is 8mbps so the videos load pretty fast. I usually don't view more than 1 min of a a video and youtube has almost downloaded the whole video for me. So is there a way I can limit the download speed so the downloaded bar (grey) goes very close the the circle thingy? And if it is possible, what speed do you guys recommend?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I always have my torrents stop seeding when the torrent download is complete, by setting it to stop after seeding 1%. Seeding is how people get caught. I'm a leecher, and damn-proud to not have a single DMCA letter in my mailbox.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards