TorrentHound Shuts Down, Another Big Torrent Site Bites The Dust

th.png

TorrentHound has decided to shut down its popular torrent site, voluntarily. "Finito," the site's founder informed us in a brief message. Following the demise of KickassTorrents and Torrentz, the surprise shutdown means that three of the ten most visited torrent sites at the beginning of the year are now offline.

Well, with another big torrent site down, what do you think people will do now? And will this continue?
Source

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy is <3. haha j/k

I support awesome well-made games.
I'm just ashamed I wasted my money on Titanfall and jumped in the hyped. I enjoyed for about a week and it pretty much went downhill from there. Other game would be Diablo 3, with its fiasco released. I was amazed on the later patch and made me come back. It's now so much worth it.

I don't deny pirating games. In fact, I grew up buying bootlegs before I ended up in the P2P world - newsbin, mirc, filehosting, limewire, torrent, etc. hehe It's just sad to hear news about torrent sites taken down recently. I'm still using torrents especially downloading anime. :P
You're ashamed of Titanfall? I bought Paper Mario: Sticker Star full price digitally. After playing it for a while, I was so mad I didn't even want to kill myself.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@gnmmarechal
Yeah, it was fun at first. Titanfall was like CoD, MechWarriors, and Tribes had a baby. Too bad it gets repetitive quite easily and boring. I guess if it had a proper story and single player. It would at least established a story or world that would've made me engage in the game. Plus yeah, you're right, there's not that many player in the game especially now. Meanwhile, CS:Go is still enjoyable.

@Pluupy
I got that game too. I didn't finish it, got surprised by the new (sticker) gameplay. Sold it together with my 3DS XL way back when there was still no gateway, sky3ds+, etc. I hope the new Paper Mario Color Splash would be good. The trailer looks massively fun by the way.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
@gnmmarechal
Yeah, it was fun at first. Titanfall was like CoD, MechWarriors, and Tribes had a baby. Too bad it gets repetitive quite easily and boring. I guess if it had a proper story and single player. It would at least established a story or world that would've made me engage in the game. Plus yeah, you're right, there's not that many player in the game especially now. Meanwhile, CS:Go is still enjoyable.

@Pluupy
I got that game too. I didn't finish it, got surprised by the new (sticker) gameplay. Sold it together with my 3DS XL way back when there was still no gateway, sky3ds+, etc. I hope the new Paper Mario Color Splash would be good. The trailer looks massively fun by the way.
True. I played like 20hrs of Titanfall, but 1+k of cs.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x using Tapatalk

Reactions: ov3rkill

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All these people acting like everyone has accounts on 20 plus private trackers already and here I am like :(
get yourselve on a private tracker then, they usually host their website where they can't be shut down, like in china

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ReCore isn't getting uploaded anywhere
it's already been cracked and it is available only on scam passworded sites though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm just glad the kickass mirror is still working.
if it's the one i think your talking about that is not a proper mirror and i'd be very careful using it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People keep saying "use private trackers" but I've been a member on at least 3 that were shut down for good and two others that did eventually come back. Until either torrent technology evolves in such a way to become decentralized, or another, more anonymous, file sharing technology becomes available, this will keep happening.

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country
People keep saying "use private trackers" but I've been a member on at least 3 that were shut down for good and two others that did eventually come back. Until either torrent technology evolves in such a way to become decentralized, or another, more anonymous, file sharing technology becomes available, this will keep happening.
Private trackers are not necessarily the best answer. The only thing that gives private trackers an advantage is they they are more controlled as to who has access to files and the tracker, who might then use that information to track users or trace back to the site to shut it down. This does not mean that any of this is overly secure since all it takes is one anti-piracy company to get hold of an account to be able to get access to either the user list or trace where the site is hosted. The more closed sites tend to last longer before this happens, but also tends to have more difficulty getting people within the scene to upload to their trackers, or otherwise just not having the user base to reseed content... Or they're operating the site somewhere within the US or parts of the EU where things are enforced.

From the technology side of things, most the efforts made have ended up being mostly lost causes. Theoretically these things should be possible between use of a VPN and networks designed specifically to obscure what exact information is being exchanged between users, but these methods run into problems in regards to security and justifying their use for non-illegal applications. Even darkweb has not been a solution.

Really, the most reliable method is probably the oldest... using IRC and direct peer to peer. In this way, only the sender has a record of who has downloaded, and subsequently has to be the one who is actually in possession of the data being sent. There's no convenient way for a third party to observe the transaction. The initial research and effort involved also works well for keeping out idiots and people who are unprepared to deal with the occasional scriptkiddy. Never said it was practical or suggested.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Every tracker that goes down creates a gap which will be filled by other trackers... Some might gain critical mass, but even if they don't this cycle is going to go for a very long time...

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let them close as many torrent sites as they want, there is a whole network which depends 100% on peer-to-peer connection called "Freenet". People will eventually go to it and create torrent sites there.

The purpose isn't to completely stop piracy, all they are trying to do is make it harder for people to originally get into piracy & to make people who are involved in piracy think about what they are doing. The same when they tackle any petty crime.

It sounds like you are upset or feel threatened, otherwise you wouldn't put on bravado.

FWIW if everyone goes to freenet, they'll figure out how to disrupt that too. It's a game of cat and mouse.

Really, the most reliable method is probably the oldest... using IRC and direct peer to peer. In this way, only the sender has a record of who has downloaded, and subsequently has to be the one who is actually in possession of the data being sent. There's no convenient way for a third party to observe the transaction. The initial research and effort involved also works well for keeping out idiots and people who are unprepared to deal with the occasional scriptkiddy. Never said it was practical or suggested.

That is essentially security through obscurity and has similar downsides to the private tracker. If everyone starts using it then they will turn their attention to it. irc is not encrypted, which makes it very convenient to observe. I agree it's not as easy as monitoring torrent sites (where anyone in the world can attach to a seed, wait for people to upload to you, log their ip address and pretend you don't have the file so someone else will upload it to you as well).

When you're involved in an arms race, you probably shouldn't announce how you're going to win on a public message board.

Last edited by smf,
D

Deleted User

OP
It sounds like you are upset or feel threatened, otherwise you wouldn't put on bravado.
I am a pirate, so what? Its totally legal from where I am, I won't pay 50$ for a game or hundreds for an application.

FWIW if everyone goes to freenet, they'll figure out how to disrupt that too. It's a game of cat and mouse.
Yeah, like they tried to disrupt Tor :rofl: (Which is full of drugs, child p*rn and weapon markets), not to mention that Freenet would be way harder for anyone to stop it, since it totally relies on encryption and peer2peer connection, so if you want to get it down, you would want to shutdown those hundred thousands of peers, and you can't really know what those peers are doing as their protocol is totally encrypted (Encryption can be broken by what is called "Bruteforcing", which needs super computers and a very high amount of electric power, which means more money to spend. Some encryption algorithms require years to decrypt on a high-end gaming PC.)

And for game cracking, it will remain forever, there will be no fix for anti-cracking a software, since any program can be disassembled and have its behavior changed.

So piracy will remain, now its just a matter of whose willing to pay $50-$70 on a game which already wastes his time (Means money and time waste) just to say "I want to support the devs :wub:", the devs whom already milk money from advertising, DLCs, in-game purchases or/and e-sports.

Brainwashing

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i don't mind paying for games but the game has to be WORTH it. which is rare these days 95% of the games released are garbage mobile ports, anime boob games, visual FAPvels or shitty indy games that are made so bad you end up deleting them and never want to see them again! THAn the ones that are interesting end up being stuck in early access for 2-3 damn years.. it's no wonder I pirate! :creep:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
which is rare these days 95% of the games released are garbage mobile ports, anime boob games, visual FAPvels or shitty indy games that are made so bad you end up deleting them and never want to see them again!
I hope you are just exaggerating or have you ever looked at a game store in your life.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
@Bortz & @Veho There are a lot of naming still active torrent sites in this thread, in case you want to scratch out some of them. I remember it was frowned upon before at least.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey