Torment: Tides of Numenera Story Trailer Showcases Events Set 1 Billion Years In The Future

Behold the Legend of the Changing God in this Cinematic Story Trailer for Torment: Tides of Numenera, Headed to PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on February 28th.

This epic cinematic story trailer recounts the lore leading up to the very moment that players begin their odyssey as the Last Castoff – the flesh-and-blood by-product of a megalomaniacal deity known as the Changing God. A billion years in the future a man discovered a way to cheat death. A seeker of knowledge and wisdom, his ultimate goal was to leave an unforgettable mark on the world.
In his quest for everlasting legacy, he discovered ancient technology – the Numenera – that allowed him to transfer his consciousness to a body of his own design. Thus he became known as the Changing God.
In a bid to escape death, the Changing God inadvertently awakened a fearsome, ancient beast known as The Sorrow – a terrifyingly powerful guardian of balance, bent on destroying the Changing God and all of his Castoffs. It is at this point that the dramatic events of your birth unfold and your story to answer who you are, and what your legacy might be, begins..

:arrow:Torment Official Site

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair, Planescape was a place where all history collided, so it was not uncommon to bump into Thor on your way to the futuristic bathroom. The setting was insane, even for D&D standards. It's only apt that the successor should be equally interesting.

Last edited by Foxi4,
Reactions: T-hug

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
According to their site:

No plans for Switch support right now, but thanks for asking.
The dev's original comment was a little more blunt, something to the tune of, "can you imagine a game with a million words on a Nintendo console? It's not the audience we're going for." Which of course is ridiculous, because who might want to play this game in 1080p on Nvidia hardware? Surely nobody, except the millions of people who will be doing that very thing regardless of Switch support.

I'll still be buying it on PC regardless, because it's Torment and that story sounds dope, but if they wanted more money out of me I'd likely be willing to buy it again on Switch.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: netovsk

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The dev's original comment was a little more blunt, something to the tune of, "can you imagine a game with a million words on a Nintendo console? It's not the audience we're going for." Which of course is ridiculous, because who might want to play this game in 1080p on Nvidia hardware? Surely nobody, except the millions of people who will be doing that very thing regardless of Switch support.

I'll still be buying it on PC regardless, because it's Torment and that story sounds dope, but if they wanted more money out of me I'd likely be willing to buy it again on Switch.
To be fair, I don't think the title is suitable for a portable. It wouldn't be very playable outside of docked mode - these kinds of games take forever to explore, that's not something you can do with limited battery life.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, I don't think the title is suitable for a portable. It wouldn't be very playable outside of docked mode - these kinds of games take forever to explore, that's not something you can do with limited battery life.
I don't think anybody is expecting to beat BotW in one charge, either. However, there's always the option to play on the TV while charging.

Reactions: netovsk

Ryu Kenshin

Trophies
XP
Country
The Changing God looks a lot like X-Men Apocalypse :rofl2:
- He cheats Death by changing bodies.
- He gains more knowledge and power each changes and become a human god.
- His followers betray him in the end.
- Dark Phoenix ... I mean the Sorrow hunts him.

Last edited by Ryu Kenshin,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
For BotW it's only going to have ~3 hours battery life, but that's still plenty enough to accomplish multiple things on one charge. With a game like Torment there's no reason the dev couldn't get a good 5-6 hours out of the battery.
And why is that? Just because the game is, to a large extent, pre-rendered doesn't mean that it's not polygon-rich. It's running on modified Unity, it's nothing to scoff at.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And why is that? Just because the game is, to a large extent, pre-rendered doesn't mean that it's not polygon-rich. It's running on modified Unity, it's nothing to scoff at.
Unity is very nice looking on the high-end, but even then it's not the most taxing engine. Which is precisely why Switch is capable of a lot in Unity and UE4 at 1080p/720p.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unity is very nice looking on the high-end, but even then it's not the most taxing engine. Which is precisely why Switch is capable of a lot in Unity and UE4 at 1080p/720p.
So far we don't know what the Switch is capable of as we're basing our predictions on rumours (which are not enthusiastic), but that's fair, I suppose.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but, but, but, I don't have a ps4 or xbone, and my pc don't play fancy games (the trailer playing in 720p made lag on my pc), and the only console I can see myself buying in the future is a Nintendo Switch. I never get to play the cool games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    Veho @ Veho: Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.