Top 10 Games of all Time list

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, what're your top 10 games of all time?

Please don't select retro-only lists just because of nostalgia but base them on quality and judge them all equally by todays standards please as I'm looking for stuff to play through.

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
Dark Souls
The Last of Us
Dragon Age Origins
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts
Wind Waker HD
Chrono Trigger
Ni no Kuni
Tomb Raider 2013

HM: Bravely Default, FFX, Uncharted 2, Persona 3, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, PES, Pokemon Silver, OOT 3D

Reactions: Gruntzer

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
skyrim, is on my top list
as for other top 9, can't decide, so much good games..

gonna list my favorites on no particular order

gta san andreas
fallout 3/NV
mafia 1
the zelda series.. (skyward, twilight, ocarina)
kirby and the amazing mirror
borderlands
valve games (team fortress, half life, portal left 4 dead etc)

pokemon is a game that i love, and my favorite series, but not really into the list of favorite games, i am not really a fan of turn rpg games, pokemon being the exception :/

Reactions: Deleted User

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Suikoden 2
4. Super Mario World
5. SMB 3(blasphemy I know but I love world)
6. Xenogears
7. Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting(CPS1)
8. FFVII and IX are tied for this spot
9. Super Metroid
10. Mega Man 2

This was a quick list, and many many MANY games I love have been omitted. This is how I feel right now, though.

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Suikoden 2
4. Super Mario World
5. SMB 3(blasphemy I know but I love world)
6. Xenogears
7. Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting(CPS1)
8. FFVII and IX are tied for this spot
9. Super Metroid
10. Mega Man 2

This was a quick list, and many many MANY games I love have been omitted. This is how I feel right now, though.

I need to play Suikoden 2!! I started playing 1 but I dropped it due to exams and never picked it back up.

Chrono Trigger was BEAUTIFUL. Looking back, its such an epic journey. Why can't video game companies recreate that in todays graphical fidelity?

I really didn't like FF7.. It god good.. then it got weird.. then good.. the weird IMO. I need to play FF6 though/

D

Deleted User

Oh, I've never thought about something like this. I'll go and think about that, and respond with a proper list later.
I know MOTHER and MOTHER 2/EarthBound are going to be somewhere on that list, probably fairly high up on it.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
- Super Metroid (Super Nintendo)
- Portal/Portal 2 (PC/X360/PS3)
- Zelda series (My favorite is Majora's Mask 3D currently)
- Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3 (PS1/PS2/PS3/X360/PC)
- Resident Evil 0,1,2,3,Code Veronica and Resident Evil: Remake/Remaster
- Final Fantasy Tactics (Playstation 1, PSP, iOS)
- Super Smash Bros (My favorite is WIiU/3DS)
- Super Mario World (Super Nintendo)
- Ace Attorney series (any game, even the Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright spinoff) (You're gonna find those on the DS, 3DS and iOS)
- Ghost Trick (Nintendo DS,iOS)

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off I hate the term best since the term is 100% based off of opinion but my list of favorite games are
1. sonic adventure 2 battle
2. Spongebob Battle for bikini bottom
3. Super Mario 3
4. Or/As
5. Half Life 2
6.Lego City Undercover
7. Fire emblem
8. Pokemon Conquest
9. Ssb4
10.Darkstalkers

Hm
NBA jam, ratchet and clank, Pokemon gale of darkness, sa1, street fighter 2, super Mario world, link to the past, and zombie ate my neighbors.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to play Suikoden 2!! I started playing 1 but I dropped it due to exams and never picked it back up.

Chrono Trigger was BEAUTIFUL. Looking back, its such an epic journey. Why can't video game companies recreate that in todays graphical fidelity?

I really didn't like FF7.. It god good.. then it got weird.. then good.. the weird IMO. I need to play FF6 though/

You don't have to play Suikoden 1 first, but if you do it not only gives you some bonus features/characters but it ties Suikoden 2's story together a bit. 1 isn't nearly as good as 2 but it's still a very solid RPG that I fell in love with after I bought it just to tide me over before FF7 came out. I fell in love with the characters, namely Viktor and Flik, and the game just kinda blindsighted me because I expected a pretty average RPG and it ended up being a really amazing, unique experience. Collecting ALL 108 chars is a gigantic bitch but it's worth it, and in Suikoden 2, the ending is completely different, and I mean COMPLETELY different if you get all the characters. If you wanna do a 100% run of either game, use a walkthrough, but what I did was play the game blind during my first playthrough and then go for 100% my 2nd time through, because if you try to get everything your 1st playthrough it kills the experience.

2 is the masterpiece of the series, but I almost consider 1 and 2 to be chapter 1 and 2 of the same book. 3 was alright imo, never played 4-5. The sprite-based style of the first 2 gave it a lot of its charm and that was lost in 3-5, but apparently 5 is a quality game. I'd buy it, but it's rare and expensive so I'll have to emulate it after I upgrade my slow ass PC.

FF7 seems to be one of those love/hate games, and it's considered the best FF by a lot of people because it's most peoples' first FF game, 6 being mine. I love 4 too, but I played it right after playing 6 and it was kinda clunky by comparison.(still love it though, and the remakes, namely the DS version changes the game a LOT) If you wanna play 6, the GBA version has an asston of slowdown but it has a pretty decent retranslation, although the Ted Woolsey trans is my favorite due to nostalgia. AVOID THE SHITTY MOBILE PORT! It ruins the sprite art and just generally looks like a cheap piece of shit. If you don't have a SNES, I'd emulate the original FF3US using BSNES or SNES9x to get the most authentic experience. PS1 version has fucked up/compressed sound, tons of loading time, and slowdown.

If you have a real SNES though, that is by far the best way to play FF6, especially on a CRT TV via S-video or RGB. SD games looks like ass on hi-res monitors. Also, excuse the LONG ass reply; I have too much caffeine in my system right now.

edit: CT is my favorite game of all time. It pretty much perfected the ATB battle system and imo hasn't been surpassed.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Going by MY personal best (In no particular order), and not what I think are subjectively the best:

-Sonic 3 & Knuckles
-Ghost Trick
-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
-Animal Crossing
-Final Fantasy VI
-Persona 4: Golden
-Assassins' Creed II
-Fire Emblem Awakening
-Yoshi's Island
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

If you want to go into games that were absolutely integral to gaming in general, or just games that I think were well-received by almost everyone, then my list would change completely.

Reactions: Social_Outlaw

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1: Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 3
2: Every Tales game
2: Atlus games
2: TWEWY
2: Nier
2: Family Project
2: Megaman X series, excluding 8.
3: FF: Crisis Core
3: Smash bros melee and 4

I dunno what the hell else.
People who can make top10 lists are basically insane or just haven't played that many games.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Tough call...

Honorable mentions:
-Newer super mario brothers wii: this NSMBW mod is just better than any other Mario game out there. Saying it's great doesn't do it justice.
-Rise of nations: I never really got "into" age of empires. And no matter how I look at it, aside from the RTS mentioned below, it ticks all my boxes
-starcraft 2: no...not THIS rts. While great, incredibly balanced and refined to the extreme, it's not MY greatest RTS.

So...here goes:

10. Torchlight 2: the game I've sunk most hours into on steam except one. It's a bit too mindless, but damn is it fun and addictive like crack.
9. Rock Band 2: while 3 was strictly better, I had the best memories of this one (also with friends). Basic track list was also much better, IMO.
8. Fallout 2: 1 & 2 are still the only turn based RPG's I can really fathom. And 2 was the best of 'em.
7. Zelda: link's awakening: it's actually a tie with oracle of seasons and oracle of ages, but this one got me the best memories.
6. Rollercoaster tycoon: 2 was strictly better, but again: best memories. Never got into 3, unfortunately enough.
5. C&C red alert 2: this is the best RTS ever if you ask me. Wacky but not TOO off the wall. Interesting unti mixture, fun units...things simply couldn't get better (aside from the net code).
4. Anno 2070: I'm hesitant to put such a recent game on this list (I only play it for like a month now), but it clocks in at 70 hours and I have no signs of boredom whatsoever. And at the very least, it's the best city-building game I ever played (though it's not saying much, as I don't play them often).
3. Unreal Tournament: the original. Though 16 years old, it still holds up pretty well today. I played the remake pre-alpha a couple days ago. It's interesting as well. But even then, this is a milestone in gaming history.
2. GTA: San Andreas: while there are plenty of decent sandbox games, this one still captures my heart. (note: I've yet to get 5 at some point).
1. UT2004: the easiest picking. Best game ever. Plenty of great gameplay modes, awesome online community. I've wasted YEARS on this game. Except that it was never wasted but well-spent. :bow:

Seroczynski

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
2. Diablo II: Lord of Desctruction (PC)
3. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
4. Gears of War (Xbox360)
5. Lost Odyssey (Xbox360)
6. Demon Souls (PS3)
7. DOOM II (PC)
8. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (SMD)
9. Tetris (GB)
10. Little Big Adventure 2 (PC)

Ask me again next year and you'll probably get a slightly different list. This is way too hard :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In no particular order:
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Fallout 2
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Oni
  • Unreal Tournament
  • StarCraft
  • Castlevania
  • System Shock 2
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
It's really hard for me to limit myself to 10, but that's the list I'll go with for now. Anyone who hasn't played these games yet should probably do so, they're the cream of the crop in their respective genres.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In no particular order:

Cave Story (Cave Story+ and 3DS eShop being my prefered versions)
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Prime
Portal
Bastion
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA is my prefered version) and by extension A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Jet Grind Radio
Earthbound and by extension Mother 3
Shovel Knight

I tend to like action-oriented tight gameplay. I generally don't get into JRPGs, though I've enjoyed my fair share of Paper Mario and, to a lesser degree, Pokemon. I've fallen behind on gaming outside of the 3DS, as that's what's always with me, I'm sure that list will change once I put time in for games like Dust: An Elysian Tail.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
In no particular order since assigning ranks was impossible...

- FF7. Generic choice maybe, but it was the game that made me switch over from childish simple games and look for more in the story than 'save the princess again'.
- The Last Of Us. The game that did the best job of making me care about digital people like they were real. It elevated itself beyond just pressing buttons to make things happen.
- Starfox 64/Starwing. Basically the same game TBH but I'll play either to death. Any game I still play after a decade or two and still enjoy like it's brand new is doing something right.
- Brutal Legend. Best soundtrack. Gameplay was ok but I play mostly for the soundtrack and the visual design.
- Anything with Phoenix Wright in it. Proof that story trumps fancy graphics every time.
- The Monster Hunter series. I like how I win through my skills, not making an arbitrary 'level' number go up until the monster basically surrenders.
- Rocksmith 2014, for teaching me how to rock so hard I actually managed to overload the electrics on my floor and blew out the fuse boxes in the electrical cupboard, disabling electricity for the entire floor. ROCK STAR :P
- Zelda. Pretty much any of them. But if pressed I'd give OOT/MM top billing.
- Art Academy/Pokemon Art Academy/Colours 3D. For teaching me how to paint and explore my artistic side, as well as helping create EVIL PIKACHU.
- The Ace Combat series, with AC5 taking top billing. My name actually comes from AC5. My wife was watching me play when we were kids, the AI called me Blaze, she assumed I'd picked the name and started calling me it, now it's over a decade later and I've changed my name to Blaze because everyone calls me that anyway. I'm also awesome at the game, that helps.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Every Tales game for me as i am a Tales fan so i will make it a simple list.

1. Tales series

2. Atlus (Persona's SMT Games)

3.Dragon Quest series

4.Valkyria Chronicles (ps3)

5.Disgaea Series

6.Atelier series

7.Fire Emblem series

8.Breath of Fire series (sad short series..)

9.Legend of heroes titles.

10.every other jrpgs.. (as i am a JRPG fan .. LOL )

Gruntzer

Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
  1. Gruntz
  2. Quake 2
  3. Runescape [MMORPG]
  4. Dota 2 [MOBA]
  5. Metro [series]
  6. Urbz sims in the city
  7. Portal 2
  8. SSX [series]
  9. Ratchet and clank [series]
  10. Pokemon [series]
These are my top 10 <3

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Kingdom Hearts Series (it's kind of a full package deal)

2. Chrono Trigger

3. Megaman X

4. Final Fantasy IV, VI, VIII, IX, X, and XIII

5. Zelda Wind Waker

7. Fire Emblem Series (especially Awakening)

8. Diablo 2 and 3

9. Walking Dead Series

10. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Subjective as fuck, and time variant as fuck.
But as for today morning:

Top ten:
Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
TES Skyrim
Mass Effect (Trilogy)
Day of the Tentacle
Unreal Tournament 99
Metal Gear Solid
SMT: Strange Journey
Fire Emblem Awakening

Honorable Mentions (can go in the list above in a whim)
Final Fantasy 6 (Not the first FF I played... I played them in this order 5, 7, 6, 8, 9, 4, 3, 1, didn't finish 10 and 12, then stopped playing... I stay with FF6 as the best)
Super Metroid
Deus Ex HR
Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenogears
Megaman X
Sonic 2
King of Fighters (against the odds, I preffered KOF99)
Money Idol Exchanger (ROFL)
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Fire Emblems (many)
Super Smash Bros (N64) [simple and fun]
Worms Armageddon [simple and fun]
Tsukihime (yes, calling it a game... had to put a VN in there)
TLOZ Twilight Princess (and here I go and take a crap over every elitist, yes I enjoyed this better than OOT)
Advance Wars... Days of Ruin? (again the same as above)
Mario Kart DS
Deception III Dark Delusion
Megaman 2
Cave Story
Super Mario 3
All that I forgot (many)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.