Hacking [Tool] Joy-Con Toolkit

ruyor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why it would take a while to dump 512KB of data over Bluetooth though.
As far as I can tell, actually sending the data over Bluetooth doesn't take long at all, using UART commands to retrieve the data from SPI flash and prep it to be sent over Bluetooth is what takes a while. This would explain why it seems slow overall, but progress jumps forward in small bursts on the PC side.

Last edited by ruyor,
Reactions: TheMCNerd2017

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I can tell, actually sending the data over Bluetooth doesn't take long at all, using UART commands to retrieve the data from SPI flash and prep it to be sent over Bluetooth is what takes a while. This would explain why it seems slow overall, but progress jumps forward in small bursts on the PC side.
Oh, OK.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seriously wish I could use my tablet as a bluetooth adapter on my pc or use an android version of this to do this, well, no colors for me

Last edited by jt_1258,

NotPengi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi there!

I've successfully customized my gray Joy-Con colors, so thank you so much OP for making this tool!

EDIT: After checking, it seems it did actually change the colors of my Pro Controller (problem described below), I can see the pink I've selected and it all works perfectly. It does work, but the bugs in the UI and stuff are still present, but luckily it does actually work :)

I can't seem to customize my Splatoon 2 Pro Controller though. Connecting it to my Mac (running Win10 by dual booting) goes fine. When opening the tool however, it gives me a different MAC-address and color set every time I open it. The serial number is all wrong, too. When trying to choose a body color and submit it, it says it's done so successfully but the button turns black (telling me it hasn't worked) and restarting the tool gives me random colors again.

upload_2017-7-27_1-54-26.png
upload_2017-7-27_1-54-39.png
upload_2017-7-27_1-54-59.png
upload_2017-7-27_1-55-40.png

I have an SPI dump for you if you'd like to have it. It's a dump I made after trying to change the colors once, but since it seems to have no effect, the dump should still be vanilla.

Another question: are planning to make this tool open source any time? I'd like to participate if possible. Mainly a C# developer but would like to do some stuff with C and C++, too.

Once again: awesome tool!

- Pengi

Edit: spelling

Last edited by NotPengi,

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
New version released!
Check OP for changes.

Who ever had strange crashes, please try the new version.
Pro controller is still untested and I will need an SPI from old version, from new version and from shiny's hid whispering.

@NotPengi:
Please PM it to me.
I think that Pro controller SPI flash structure is different than joy-cons because of different Microcontroller..
Lastly, I was planning to release the source on github since start. But now this will take a while, until I make Pro Controller logic usable and clean the code a LOT! :P

Last edited by CTCaer,

doriandu45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
New version released!
Yes! It's now working, thanks!

I also have a SPI dump of my Pro Controller (with your tool, I can't compile shinyquagsire23's tool, maybe because it's made for Linux), can I post it here or somwere else (I'm new, that's why I ask you before doing anything)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Success! Went from gray to neon. I custom painted my joycon, they were originally gray but I bought the neon shells. Waiting for those to arrive. Picture was taken before I changed button color but I don't think there would have been a difference on picture.

View attachment 93601
Where does one get milky white joycons? :wub:

luk_pop

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can you ask for the program to run without connected joy-con and connect them by start button or something to connect joy-con?

Hybrixe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Joy-Con Toolkit v1.2

jc1.png

jc2.png

Warning:
Don't write any colors for pro controller yet. As I don't have one, don't know if the colors are in a different address. Can someone send me a dump with shinyquagsire23's tool through usb and through v1.2 by Bluetooth?

Summary:
Since months ago, I bought yellow joy-con shells and modded my Joy-Cons. Then I found Shinyquagsire23 HID-Joy-Con-Whispering and changed my joy con colors and this reflected my new neon yellow color in-game.

I always wanted to make an easy tool for that, for the community. So here it is with some additional goodies.
Have fun creating funky combinations.

What it can currently do:
  • Change colors of your Joy-Con
  • Backup your SPI flash
  • View S/N and MAC address
  • View Firmware version
Prerequisites:
  • .net framework v4.5.2
  • Visual c++ 2015 x86 redist
  • Bluetooth adapter, USB or built-in
  • Windows PC
Changelog:
v1.2

• Now you can see real Joy-Cons and Pro controller for color view.
  • Updated Neon-Yellow color with retail values.
  • You can now save your own custom colors!
  • Fixed many bugs and crashes.
  • Every communication produces rumble confirmation.
  • Added led support. 1st Led: initialized, 4th Led Blinking/Solid: Standby/Write sent.
  • Changed SPI dump logic a little bit. Users with Pro controllers or with crashes, please try again.
  • I still need a correct SPI Dump from a Pro. One with v1.2 and one with Shiny's tool.
  • Disabled Pro controllers color write for now.
v1.0
  • Initial release

Before you do anything, make a backup of your SPI flash.
When you change colors, before 3.0.0 update you need to restart your Switch and then pair, for colors to take effect.
For 3.x.x just pair the controller with Switch.
The custom colors in the color dialog are the retail ones.

Special thanks:
Everyone at Nintendo_Switch_Reverse_Engineering: General BT protocol usage
@shinyquagsire23: General hidapi and BT protocol usage
@SciresM: General hidapi usage for windows
@Ceri: Neon-Yellow hex color values

If someone knows any original retail color (like neon-yellow, splatoon, etc) please reply here with the hex code

I made a dump with v1.2 of my Splatoon 2 Pro Controller, haven't been able to make a dump with SQS's program.

EDIT: Disregard this, something went wrong. Gonna dump it again over bluetooth right now, I'll post the new dump when it is finished and I checked it!

Attachments

• spi_000000000000.rar
    359 bytes · Views: 241
Last edited by Hybrixe,

Hybrixe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just letting you know, that file is all zeroes.

Oh derp. Does the dump even work via cable?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay, it dumped correctly I think. Again, this is the Splatoon 2 Pro Controller.

Attachments

• spi_000000000000.rar
    58.3 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: CTCaer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.