Hacking too much tech-jargon bs, please help

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I am new the ps3 scene but not to modding/hacking. I can follow a good technical guide or tutorial but the amount of different guides for hacking the ps3 and the sheer number of opinions on what CFW or usbloader (etc) is best is somewhat ridiculous. I going out on a limb here but I am going to say that there is most likely ONE CFW that is best and ONE usbloader that is best. It seems possible that there may be a few depending on what applications you are using your ps3 for (online or just offline).

I've been reading guides now for over a week and I am close to getting an idea as to what I need but if anyone has a few minutes to help me sort this out your time would be greatly appreciated.

(for the record) I am thinking of purchasing a new ps3 slim cech-2501B with OFW 3.40. It comes with a 320 GB HD but I plan on upgrading to a 1TB. I plan on using the unit for playing offline, have no plan to go online at any time ever. Things I would like to do with it include:

a) rip and make backups of my ps3 games.
b) store those backups on an external hard drive in ISO format
c) run my games from an external hard drive (if possible)
d) (optional) perhaps install some emulators
e) make a nand backup (though I know little about this but I have read it can help you recover from bricking)

From the guides I have been reading thus far it is a fairly simple process, install OFW 3.55 then install your CFW and shazam. (this is where I need someone to PLEASE correct me if I am wrong) It seems the best CFW atm is "Rebug 4.76.1-LITE– Cobra 7.1 – Toolbox 2.02.07" and the best backup loader is "multiMAN". So my questions are:

1) what is the best way to run games off an external HD in ISO format? I would rather not use a fat32 drive and divide the files and if I understand it correctly multiMAN can read NFTS drives. I also hear that Rebug 4.76.1 LITE - Cobra 7.1 has its own backup loader. So which loader is best or do I need to use both for different games?

2) Do I need the latest CFW (4.76.1 - 7.1) to run the latest games? Or will older more stable CFW suit my needs? I want to use the BEST usbloader that plays the most games, if possible.

3) For every guide I read that answers one questions it raises two more unfortunately. There is simply far to much technical jargon for hacking a ps3. What is "spoofing" and does it apply to me for what I plan on using the ps3 for (offline play and game backup)?

4) Are there any terms I should know or specific homebrews that are MUST have applications?

Again, any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. I have answered a large number of noobish questions just by reading over the vast amount of info here and on the ps3hax site but like I said, there are SO MANY varying opinions from guide to guide the problem is often just knowing which guide to read, you know?

D

Deleted User

No need to install 3.55 - just install CFW.
Multiman works, Webman a lot easier to use. NTFS/ISO loading requires Cobra enabled.
Retroarch is about the only emulator worth using on PS3, but it's meh.
Not really if you don't plan on doing anything else. Your unit is NOR, not NAND. Everything you can need to do is done through Rebug Toolbox.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) MultiMAN can read NTFS drives. There's an option in the menu that changes how the PS3 reads any USB devices (from fat32 to NTFS back to fat32). MultiMAN should work for most if not all of your needs.
2) I haven't played new PS3 games recently (ie released this year), so I don't know about the very recent games, but whenever I played a recent game that was above the CFW's version multiMAN would just do a quick fix and the game would work perfectly. I don't know whether or not running them from a USB drive affects it or not, but I doubt it does.
3) If you're just gonna play offline, pretty much all you need to do is install the CFW then multiMAN. Maybe emulators, in case Rebug can't handle ROMs natively, but I wouldn't know. The spoofing they're most likely referring to is for any kind of PSN interaction, which you won't need.
4) There's a nifty app that will ready your most recently played game so you only have to go into multiMAN when switching games.

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to install 3.55 - just install CFW.
Multiman works, Webman a lot easier to use. NTFS/ISO loading requires Cobra enabled.
Retroarch is about the only emulator worth using on PS3, but it's meh.
Not really if you don't plan on doing anything else. Your unit is NOR, not NAND. Everything you can need to do is done through Rebug Toolbox.

Is Webman the usbloader that comes with Rebug/Cobra 7.1?

And so you don't even have to install the OFW 3.55 update before installing CFW? Several of the guides say you do.

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel,

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And so you don't even have to install the OFW 3.55 update before installing CFW? Several of the guides say you do.
Some people swear that you need to, and others swear that you don't need to. It's a hot button topic, apparently. mschumacher69 says you don't need to, and he's been pretty helpful for me and others, so I doubt he'd steer us wrong. To quote his mini tutorial:
If you're on 3.55 or lower OFW, or a hardware flasher patched 3.56+ OFW, or any 4.46 or lower CFW, you can install Rebug 4.46.1 LITE from XMB by following the guide below:

D

Deleted User

Install Rebug Toolbox. TBH though, QA really only applies to downgrading to a lower FW. If you're going from say 4.46->4.76, you don't need to really worry about it.

Easiest thing to do is just update to latest Rebug, install Rebug Toolbox, and enable QA from there if you haven't.

Long story:

Downgrading without QA flagging will cause system to brick (can be soft/hard) since ROS hashes will mismatch due SYSCON level being higher than the FW being installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...