Tony Hawk: Pro Skater HD to be delisted from Steam

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    My Nintendo works for Dad
    I wonder what this means for existing purchases. I own the game on my Xbox 360. What if I delete the game off my harddrive? Will i be able to re-download it at some point? if I do, will the soundtrack be the one I purchsed initially?

2. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    Steam always lets you keep the game, regardless of whether it's for sale or not. Source: Still have several of Digital Homicdes games, despite their little... meltdown a back in October.

Saiyan Lusitano and Taleweaver like this.
  3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And not a single tear was shed.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  4. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    That's lame, guess third party stuff for this will be the only option if you get my drift.

I wish companies where a little less stingy.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    is there like a steam group or something that i can keep notified about games being pulled out?

Most-Wanted and Tomato Hentai like this.
  6. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    here is Activision
    doing everything they can
    holding on to what they are
    pretending they're supermen

xBleedingSoulx and CheatFreak47 like this.
  7. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks for the heads up. In light of this news, I managed to snag both the game and the DLC (thanks to a kind soul over in the trade section) today for the low price of 2$ and a 5$ amazon gift card.

Game is a turd, but I have questionable taste in video games.

8. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    But that is up to the record labels to renegotiate so they still make money, not the developer.
    in these cases when the game is pulled, it is the record label letting the license expire and not doing anything about it.

What is not fair is that the record labels are intentionally doing this and allowing whole games to be unavailable via legal avenues and making it hard to preserve the games as they were for future generations (not that any of them will actually play it)

The game devs/publishers do play a role in licensing but it comes down to the record labels not wanting to renew or charging too much money to allow it to be renewed.

Last edited by driverdis, Jul 11, 2017
  9. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    its not even worth buying this game. just pirate it. Take it from somebody who has played through all of them from the first game onwards recently and in the past.

10. RoseyDreamy

RoseyDreamy TheKawaiiNeko

Mar 25, 2017
    England
    Removing the soundtrack would be kinda stupid though, I think replacing with royalty-free would be the better option. Though that's my biased opinion because I think music adds a lot to games ^^

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    If I was a publisher I would just leave all pc games with generic royalty free or original music but make it super simple/obvious for people to drop in a custom sound track, no point paying royalties on a bunch of songs and having your game pulled unless you keep up payments

Or at the very least have the royalty free backup tracks ready to drop the day the licences are up on the proper songs

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jul 11, 2017
  12. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Just great. Now I can purchase a version for myself and invest in a copy for TF2 keys ._.

Honestly, why they did this instead of keeping the liscense is baffling.

13. jupitteer

jupitteer idk what i'm doing

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Subcon
    what why

14. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai nut neutrality

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Alberta
    Bought it for the hell of it.

15. death360

death360 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Noooooooo the worlds coming to an end what are we going to do without THPS HD.:cry:

PoppaDre likes this.
  16. Nechikochan

Nechikochan Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2017
    Thailand
    They don't lower DLC price.....

Most-Wanted and PoppaDre like this.
  17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    And here i was, assuming that when a game company puts a game to the market, they own all their own content (or at least have not time-limited use of it). I get they don't want to keep throwing money at a game after people spend money on it, so I can understand they pull the plug on online servers at some point... But if i understand this correctly, they basically leased the music tracks. And that's not really fair to buyers (even though they apparently don't lose the game from their stream library).

I'm not really sure what to think of people quickly buying the game now. Those who really wanted it already had plenty of opportunity, and it's not like the game gets better Bredase there's a time constraint (wake up guys: none of us lives forever, so chances are you never make it through your backlog of games* in the first place).

* And even so: games gets churned out faster than anyone can consume, so an immortal one has no reason to buy it either

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  18. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    1) pick an old shitty "remaster" game that doesn't sell at all
    2) announce it's never going to be sold ever again, also called "artificial scarcity to give a false sense of worth", also called "Nintendo"
    3) except it's a digital good and supply can be infinite up until the deadline
    4) put a discount on it
    5) it's now on the news everywhere, has already gotten more exposure than some lesser known brand new games

Guaranteed this game will have more sales this week than it would in the next 10 years.
    This may not have been done on purpose but there's no doubt companies will look at this and start doing the same to their old irrelevant games. And then you will have games being pulled and then added back in in a year or two, because there's no rules against this, and it's an amazing marketing strategy to get media relevance so why not.

My suggestion: don't be a literal sheep and buy this game if you don't want this to become a new cancerous practice for the industry.

DarthDub, Xiphiidae and Most-Wanted like this.
  19. LordStarkiller

LordStarkiller GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2015
    United States
    I'm not overly attached to the THPS series but the first 4 stand out just because of the guest skaters they had. In THPS2 we got Spider-Man, in 3, we got Darth Maul, and I think in 4 we got Jango Fett.

20. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Honestly, it makes sense. Game devs are still a company, and they want to make money above all. If they expect no more than about 10k in revenue in the future looking at sales statistics but the music relicense would cost more than that, no sane company would ever agree to it. I imagine the game didn't/wasn't selling well enough for new music to be worth it either.