• Total voters

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a 3DS XL from ebay, listing says works, minor scratches. All good.

I get the item, start checking it out, all looks fine. Go to start the Gateway process and when wifi is turned on, the 3DS gives an error, everytime. Wifi off works fine.

I verified this by swapping the wifi module with a known working one and it runs great.

The wifi module is only about $5 (the work is like 5 minutes at most, really simple fix). Return shipping is probably around $8. I'm satisfied with the condition of it and it is on 9.2. I'm torn...It was about $120.

Opinions?

lidolinn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you are already satisfied with the condition of the 3DS, I would would just replace the wifi module, $5 plus maybe $5 shipping. The hassle of shipping it back, gas cost, time waiting for refund, I think it's just not worth it for a couple bucks.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you just opened it up, you aren't entitled to a refund, so your only option is repair.

Regardless if he opened it or not, eBay is protected with a 30 day guarantee. If it is not working as listed he can return for a refund. If the advertisement said in working condition but did not list an issue with wifi, he is entitled to a refund.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I get the item, start checking it out, all looks fine. Go to start the Gateway process and when wifi is turned on, the 3DS gives an error, everytime. Wifi off works fine.

I verified this by swapping the wifi module with a known working one and it runs great.

The wifi module is only about $5 (the work is like 5 minutes at most, really simple fix). Return shipping is probably around $8. I'm satisfied with the condition of it and it is on 9.2. I'm torn...It was about $120.

Opinions?

When you say you "swapped the wifi module" what exactly do you mean? The wifi module on the 3DS? The wifi module on your computer? If you already swapped the module on your 3DS then isn't it considered repaired already?

serenade.63

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Opinions?

if you or someone you knows has like a #00 philips screw driver then its a super quick super easy fix, just open your 3ds up and carefully lift the wifi chip out and plug it back in (make sure that the wire attached to it does not come unattached)

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say you "swapped the wifi module" what exactly do you mean? The wifi module on the 3DS? The wifi module on your computer? If you already swapped the module on your 3DS then isn't it considered repaired already?

On the 3DS. I removed the wifi module from my personal 3DS, plugged it into the broken one and tested. Then swapped back since I want wifi on my personal 3DS.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you or someone you knows has like a #00 philips screw driver then its a super quick super easy fix, just open your 3ds up and carefully lift the wifi chip out and plug it back in (make sure that the wire attached to it does not come unattached)

I was hoping it was just loose, but sadly its just plain dead.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the 3DS. I removed the wifi module from my personal 3DS, plugged it into the broken one and tested. Then swapped back since I want wifi on my personal 3DS.

Gotcha, didn't know it was that easy to fix since I've yet to open up my 3DS. I'd opt for the repair as well if it really is that easy to fix.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can fix it (as I posted above, I already ensured this is the problem) just a matter of he sold me a lemon

I'd repair and just give him negative feedback. They give the seller a chance to "fix the issue" so perhaps you could have him recoupe some of the cost you need to put into purchasing a new wifi chip + shipping. Maybe get 10-20 of your dollars back from the purchase?

Reactions: cearp

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd repair and just give him negative feedback. They give the seller a chance to "fix the issue" so perhaps you could have him recoupe some of the cost you need to put into purchasing a new wifi chip + shipping. Maybe get 10-20 of your dollars back from the purchase?

That honestly what I'm hoping will happen. If he gives me back some of the money, I'll consider it positive or at worst neutral.

Reactions: Maximilious

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't be a dick, you already repaired it so keep it and don't be an ass about the rating.

Pip'

I didnt repair it, i just verified it is defective. jeebus, no one likes to read!

it came broken, i took a part from my 3ds that i owned prior to this purchase and verified the broken 3ds works with my working part.

the seller sold me a broken item and marked it as working!

why does the internet always turn into a bashing?!??!

if you sell me something that i assumed would be 100% working based on what you told me, regardless if i can fix it or not, that is a negative feed back. period.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't be a dick, you already repaired it so keep it and don't be an ass about the rating.

Pip'

It's the principal of what he bought. Would you be happy about buying an item on ebay that was stated as working, receiving it and finding out it's actually broken? I don't think so. Negative rating from me, and it gives the seller a chance to rectify the situation. It's not craigslist where you get what you get and no going back.

Reactions: VashTS

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it came broken then he's absolutely entitled to a refund. Where did everyone get this idea that everything goes out the window as soon as you open it? However, due to the extremely easy/cheap fixI wouldn't consider it worth the time and would just fix it myself. Feedback rating on the other hand, is entirely up to you.

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is just me personally but unless they are obviously trying to scam you don't give a negative rating until talking with them first.

edit: contact them, they may give you a $20+ refund for a $5 fix.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Regardless if he opened it or not, eBay is protected with a 30 day guarantee. If it is not working as listed he can return for a refund. If the advertisement said in working condition but did not list an issue with wifi, he is entitled to a refund.

Return the item in the same condition as you received it. See the http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/return-item-condition.html item condition policy for returns for more information.

Pretty clear, if one opened up a 3DS it is pretty clear it isn't in the same condition as received. Opening up a 3DS means that you take off the stickers that protect the screws to open it and you never get those back exactly as they were.
If you are unhappy with your purchase, for good reason in this case, you should return it without tampering with it and it is a pretty clear part of the policy, so the only option here is to ask for repair costs to be taken care of.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is just me personally but unless they are obviously trying to scam you don't give a negative rating until talking with them first.

edit: contact them, they may give you a $20+ refund for a $5 fix.

This is what im hoping will happen. throw me a small refund ill consider it resolved. $90 for a 3ds xl with this issue is acceptable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.