Gaming Tips for 100%'ing Super Mario 3D World

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I finally did it today. After many hours of playing this game, I've completed it 100%. Since there are a few ways to make that goal a bit easier to reach, I thought I'd share my findings. Feel free to add anything you know. :)

Beat levels using all characters quickly
Requirements: extra controllers (Wiimotes are fine)

1. Play a level alone with any character you like
2. As soon as you get near the end of the level, add other characters to the game on the other controllers
3. Line up all characters around the Goal Pole, then quickly jump to it with each character on each controller
4. Now you'll need to play a level only twice vs. five times

If you practice this properly, you'll need about 20 seconds on the timer and you can make 3-4 characters finish a level on a single try. Note: as soon as one character touches the Goal Pole, you only have a few seconds before the level finishes so act quickly. To make this easier, ask someone else to control a character for you. In levels without a Goal Pole (e.g. Mystery House levels), add other characters to the game just prior to leaving the final room (at which time the timer doesn't count down anymore).

Max out your lives (up to 1110 or 3 crowns) quickly

Well-known method in World 1-2:

Even quicker method in World 5-1:

Use the cat suit for a guaranteed Goal Post hit at the end of a level

I always went back to World 1-1 (Super Bell Hill) and collected two bells to transform my character into the cat suit and have a second cat suit as spare. Since almost every level in the game can be played with the cat suit on, just make your way to the end of a level and climb to the top of the Goal Pole in the cat suit to hit the Goal Post. This is great when you play as a character with low jumping power (e.g. Toad) or slow speed (e.g. Luigi).

Get a sparkling 5-Stars save file

The conditions to unlock stars for the save file are as follows:
1-Star: Complete the game until the 8th World.
2-Stars: Acquire all Green Stars until 8th World.
3-Stars: Complete Star World, Mushroom World, and Flower World.
4-Stars: Acquire all Green Stars in the first 11 Worlds.
5-Stars: Acquire all Green Stars, Stamps, beat all the Worlds with every character, and hit all the Goal Posts.

If you don't have sparkling stars, it means you've completed a level using the Invincibility Leaf. To check for levels on which you've used the Invincibility Leaf, go to the Map, check your records and look for levels with a score of "00000". If you have levels where the game hasn't recorded a completion time, that means you've failed at least once when playing that level. Play again without using an Invincibility Leaf or dying and you'll get complete records.

----

So that's as much as I could figure out by playing the game. It has tons of replay value, great controls and variety, and is one of the best 3D Mario games to date. Anyone else completed the game and liked it all the way through to the end? If I had to nag at something, then it's probably the bland story. Super Mario Sunshine in that regard is still the better game IMO.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There's a much more reliable way of getting infinite 1ups in 1-2. You see that transparent pipe sticking out of the background? You can throw a green shell on top of it, and the space is so small you're basically guaranteed to bounce infinitely on it. 5-1 is quicker because of the roof though.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'm in world 3 and it seems too easy so far. Does it get harder further on?

I like the level designs. They're better than Super Mario 3D Land. But completing every level with every character is a stupid thing to ask for. Even if it is completely optional.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

I like the level designs. They're better than Super Mario 3D Land. But completing every level with every character is a stupid thing to ask for. Even if it is completely optional.

I found levels in SM3DL to be very short and unimaginative. There's definitely a lot more verticality and scale in the levels in SM3DW, no doubt because the game isn't limited to a small screen. If you've played Mario games since the early NES days, you'll find most of the game very easy. I found only the final three worlds to be challenging. Once you get to the very end of the game, there's one level that's particularly challenging. So there's something for everyone, I guess. :)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

The final level is stupidly hard and the final few areas are tricky, but other than that the game is pretty easy, yes. And completing every level with every character only gets you a few stamps. There's no point in doing it unless you're an insane completionist.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It's still disappointing if the game is too easy. I miss the Super Mario 64 days. I find that game to be challenging even today.

Look at Donkey Kong Country Returns. That is one of the hardest games I've played and I loved every bit of it.

Super Mario 64 challenging? :ohnoes:

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
My personal favorite still is Super Mario Sunshine. It has an original, good story that doesn't involve just saving the princess. You have to deal with a doppelganger who is also the reason for you to get locked behind bars. That's actually an intense situation when you think about it. More than that though, the overall world was huge. The levels also felt very connected. It didn't feel like you're advancing from level to level, but more that you're advancing the story in various different places. Super Mario 3D World on the other hand felt very straightforward in its "level to level" approach. Super Mario Sunshine also had unique boss fights and fun side quests, which I haven't seen since in any other Mario game.

100%'ing the game was a true challenge and I think Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game yet in 3D. Although Super Mario 64 was a very successful attempt in transitioning Mario to 3D, Nintendo couldn't differentiate it much in fear of losing fan appeal. It's therefore thanks to Super Mario 64 that Nintendo was confident to introduce new mechanics in a 3D Mario game, leading us to FLUDD in Super Mario Sunshine. I think it's the best element of the game. Super Mario Galaxy just didn't have that same "magic" to me, because we've seen Mario fly before. I don't think Nintendo can ever top Super Mario Sunshine, so the best we can hope for is an HD remaster or Virtual Console release, which either way is day 1 for me.

I'm a bit torn as to whether I'd call Super Mario 3D World as good as Super Mario Sunshine. Both games have their ups and downs and are unique in their own ways. I just find SM3DW not as innovative, while still bringing a lot to the table. 100%'ing both games is still very rewarding.

I know that Super Mario Sunshine divides opinions, so if you disagree with my opinion that's fine. To me, it's the best 3D Mario game, period. :)

EDIT: This is why I love Super Mario Sunshine. I crapped my pants playing against this:

Reactions: Reecey

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I certainly do not think Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario 3D game by far, its well down the ranks for Mario games tbh, I thought it was not good at all and I got rid and sold asap, so that's how good it is to me but I still own Galaxy 1 & 2 and Mario Sunshine!. I wanted Mario Galaxy 2/Mario Sushine mix style back so badly for the WiiU but no it was run to a pole with a time limit attached to make it less appealing, to complete a level, boring!!! Mario 64 is and still is the best 3D mario game ever!!! You want to explore the mario world and environments around you in your own time, not been held down by a time limit to get to the end, you want missions in each level to get stuck into & in the main world itself, not just going around hunting down 3 stars for satisfaction in each level and going dot to dot around a map!

Reactions: bowser

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I certainly do not think Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario 3D game by far, its well down the ranks for Mario games tbh, I thought it was not good at all and I got rid and sold asap, so that's how good it is to me but I still own Galaxy 1 & 2 and Mario Sunshine!. I wanted Mario Galaxy 2/Mario Sushine mix style back so badly for the WiiU but no it was run to a pole with a time limit attached to make it less appealing, to complete a level, boring!!! Mario 64 is and still is the best 3D mario game ever!!! You want to explore the mario world and environments around you in your own time, not been held down by a time limit to get to the end, you want missions in each level to get stuck into & in the main world itself, not just going around hunting down 3 stars for satisfaction in each level and going dot to dot around a map!

I think the lesson here is that SM3DW is a nod to the veterans who played Mario games since the early NES days. I also thought having the Goal Pole in SM3DW was odd, especially since in the first Super Mario Bros. you have Mario running inside a castle after sliding down the pole. In SM3DW however, the characters make silly moves after sliding down the pole and the level finishes. I don't quite understand the logic behind that. I too was disappointed at first when learning that SM3DW has a timer much like the original Mario games, but it's exactly for that reason why the timer was put in the game. It's a strong contender for a 3D Mario game on its own and the sheer level of polish applied to the game is a testament to Nintendo's high quality standards. :)

Of course, since Wii U isn't exactly known to be a top seller, having the familiarity of the old Mario games in SM3DW is key to its widespread appeal. Anyone can pick it up and play from young to old and the core idea is the same behind both SM3DW and the original Super Mario Bros., which is valuable marketing in itself.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Champions road and that last "star house" place are terribly hard. I could not get to the 30 stars in that house l. If you fail you go back to the beginning. The champions road has no power ups and no white tanuki suit. The jumps are not easy. I watched a video of it. Beating it with one character is tough but all of them? Few people I know want to try it. I gave up having completed all other levels. I have all stars and stamps up to those levels. The toad puzzle was not as frustrating.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Champions road and that last "star house" place are terribly hard. I could not get to the 30 stars in that house l. If you fail you go back to the beginning. The champions road has no power ups and no white tanuki suit. The jumps are not easy. I watched a video of it. Beating it with one character is tough but all of them? Few people I know want to try it. I gave up having completed all other levels. I have all stars and stamps up to those levels. The toad puzzle was not as frustrating.

World Crown is my favorite in the game! :)

The Mystery House challenge is very doable. You require good reflexes and quick thinking to approach every room in the challenge. Keep in mind that after you have collected a star, the timer goes away and the game continues once you touch the block that teleports you to the next room. My advice is to use that time before proceeding to the next room to take a deep breath and think calmly about how you've progressed. Every time you fail just keep thinking back to the order of the challenges. After a few attempts you'll get the hang of it and you'll see right through the challenges. I also highly recommend to have a cat suit on you (and one spare) when taking on the challenge.

Champion Road is the best level in the game in my opinion. It combines every aspect and element of gameplay experienced in previous levels and it's very unforgiving at that. Any hardcore NES veteran will love Champion Road. I know I did! To make life easier, I highly recommend having the Tanooki suit on you and a cat suit as spare. I completed the level using no upgrades on my third attempt. It gets very tricky towards the end and it's a very long level (just look at the timer when you start the level to get an idea). However, it's also very satisfying and rewarding to complete Champion Road and it's a very nice finishing level.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the lesson here is that SM3DW is a nod to the veterans who played Mario games since the early NES days. I also thought having the Goal Pole in SM3DW was odd, especially since in the first Super Mario Bros. you have Mario running inside a castle after sliding down the pole. In SM3DW however, the characters make silly moves after sliding down the pole and the level finishes. I don't quite understand the logic behind that. I too was disappointed at first when learning that SM3DW has a timer much like the original Mario games, but it's exactly for that reason why the timer was put in the game. It's a strong contender for a 3D Mario game on its own and the sheer level of polish applied to the game is a testament to Nintendo's high quality standards. :)

Of course, since Wii U isn't exactly known to be a top seller, having the familiarity of the old Mario games in SM3DW is key to its widespread appeal. Anyone can pick it up and play from young to old and the core idea is the same behind both SM3DW and the original Super Mario Bros., which is valuable marketing in itself.

M8 I am a veteran, I still own my NES in its original box and loved SMB1, 2 and 3 but sorry to say we should of now moved on since those days and we did with M64, Mario Sunshine, SMG 1 and 2 but we have moved back in time with SM3DWorld and this is why its not good! Its time to move away from the sliding down the poles and timing in the levels lets hope for god sake the next 3D Mario game is not like Mario3DWorld nor Land for that matter.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I've finished almost all of Mario 3D World the only two stages left are the two final ones (timing and precision) but being that I've lost interest to complete it it's no longer something I want to play now.

New Super Mario Bros. U was quite easy too.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
M8 I am a veteran, I still own my NES in its original box and loved SMB1, 2 and 3 but sorry to say we should of now moved on since those days
I respectfully disagree.

Nintendo is doing everything right to please its fans and that's how they'll stay in the business for another healthy decade. Just think back to how much fan service Nintendo has done with Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Hyrule Warriors, etc. On top of that, New Super Mario Bros. proved to be a top seller on the DS and Wii, demanding sequels for the 3DS and Wii U. So there's definitely demand for Mario jumping down flagpoles. In fact, Mario Maker is coming next year for that reason alone. We'll even have a new Star Fox coming up, but why? It's because Nintendo is playing the nostalgia card and playing it really well. It's the perfect way to bridge back all the core gamers who left Nintendo in favor of the PS3 / 360 during the Wii days. It's also the perfect way to make adults get interested in Nintendo games again, the same people who played the original Nintendo games as children. Duck Hunt on Virtual Console is just the tip of the iceberg, trust me! :)

If there's something a company should avoid then it is to move on. I believe moving on is the worst you can do as a company when your value is in catering to your core audience. It has happened and is happening in other industries that companies move on / rebrand / try something else and completely fail at it. BlackBerry moved on and abandoned their core feature, the QWERTY keyboard that hardcore fans loved to death, and subsequently lost their fans, customers, and image. They just now released a new product called the BlackBerry Classic bringing back exactly what its fans have cried for and the product has been a success among previous BlackBerry enthusiasts. Analysts have said the Classic may be just what BlackBerry needs to revive its situation on the market. I view that company much as I view Nintendo. Should Nintendo ever decide to let go of classic Mario and the core ideas behind it, it'll be the beginning of the end for them. It's why they meticulously polish every Mario game. They can't risk becoming like Sega where Sonic has been demoted to an IP that can be easily outsourced.

At least, that's my view of this issue.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
^^ spot on.

Sonic is a clear example of how to mess up a franchise and star character.

Mario is a clear example of how to perfect, refine and develop (as opposed to throw away and rehash).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat