Hacking Time to leave Gateway? And other Questions.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. My N3DS has A9LH and Luma on it. I also use Gateway, but am wondering if it is time to leave it. Lately, I have been putting some of my games on my N3DS in Freeshop/Cia format and that seems more convenient to me so far. The main reason I have still been using Gateway is for the cheat feature it has. The mSD card I have in my N3DS is only 64GB and that is starting to fill up with Freeshop/Cia games and the Gateway mSD is a bit larger (At 128GB I think). What do you guys think? Is it time to leave Gateway? If yes, I have a few questions before I proceed:

- What is best way to transfer everything from old N3DS mSD card to larger one(Probably to the mSD I used for Gateway)? My N3DS only has SysNAND.
- I do have BootNTR installed on my N3DS, can the cheat feature that has work with Freeshop/Cia games?
- If yes to above question, is there a list of cheat plugins for 3DS US/USA format games?

Thoughts and help on all of this GREATLY appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are talking about transfering your saves over from gateway to something that Luma can use and understand... its a royal pain in the ass. You will need JKSM and guide to translate your saves to non-GW saves.

Yes NTR is the way to cheat without GW.

I dont have a copy right here but you can search google for a cheat list and Fort42 for a bunch of cheats.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are talking about transfering your saves over from gateway to something that Luma can use and understand... its a royal pain in the ass. You will need JKSM and guide to translate your saves to non-GW saves.

Yes NTR is the way to cheat without GW.

I dont have a copy right here but you can search google for a cheat list and Fort42 for a bunch of cheats.

Ok, thanks for the help and info :)
What is best way to transfer everything from old N3DS mSD card to larger one(Probably to the mSD I used for Gateway)? My N3DS only has SysNAND.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the stuff on the sd card is encrypted, so I don't think u can use it on another 3ds if that's what ur asking. converting saves isn't that bad really unless u have a lot of saves. u need gateway to mount the game and the save, then export the save from it. it's a bit time-consuming, but not too bad. just make sure u don't sell ur gateway before doing this or u won't be able to convert them.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, this is what I am asking:

The mSD in my N3DS has A9LH and Luma on it, as well as my stuff and my Freeshop/Cia games. I want to transfer all of that to another mSD card to put in my N3DS. The mSD card I was going to use was the one I had been using inside Gateway card.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Misunderstood your question. As already mentioned just copy the files to the new SD card on your computer. Nothing fancy about it.
However if you want to reuse the SD card from your Gateway you should remove emunand if you have that to get more space available for games.

Last edited by petspeed,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, this is what I am asking:

The mSD in my N3DS has A9LH and Luma on it, as well as my stuff and my Freeshop/Cia games. I want to transfer all of that to another mSD card to put in my N3DS. The mSD card I was going to use was the one I had been using inside Gateway card.

same system = just copy and paste like the above users said. I did this myself - using the same micro SD card that I used with gateway. it's now my internal micro SD card. no issues. :)

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thoughts and help on all of this GREATLY appreciated :)

Just something to note. At this point, there's effectively no real reason to be on anything beyond 11.2, especially if you've got a Gateway. ctr-httpwn will continue to function, and you can use Gateway mode with your sysnand when you want to use cheats. In my case, I did something similar as you, and put my 128gb card in the N3DS proper, and left a smaller card in the Gateway. The advantage I find in Gateway mode is that I can still use cheats with cia/shop installations as well as .3ds files loaded on the cart. It really is the best of both worlds if you own one. So there's no real reason to "leave" it, when Gateway and CFW coexist just fine on 11.2 with no loss of functionality.

Reactions: nccom

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I have a few more questions, hope you guys can help me out:

- I got a new mSD card for my N3DS that is 128GB. How should I format it for use with N3DS? I found a program called SDFormatter, but which format options should I choose?

- I want to transfer stuff from old mSD to new one. Is it as easy as just copy and paste to new card? My old N3DS mSD had A9LH and Luma installed. I want to keep A9LH and Luma also, as well as all stuff I had on old mSD (Cia games, etc).

- For setting up NTR Plugin Manager, is it safe to change Environment Variables in Windows? I have Windows 10 64-bit. In Environment Vairables, path is set to "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;". Is it safe to change this to the one used by Devkitpro and NTR Plugin Manager programs? It said to do that in this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ntr-plugin-manager.457613/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ntr-plugin-manager.457613/
Thoughts and help on all this GREATLY appreciated :)

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my opinion on the state of Gateway. They were playing catch up with the community trying to implement their version of A9LH, and they had kept delaying that, didn't do an update because they were almost ready to release something. Then the B9S happened, and I'm guessing it caught GW by surprise since they were probably focusing on whatever they were trying to do before. So now they have a new thing to figure out how to do with their stuff, so if we do see any release from them, I'm guessing end of summer or the fall as the earliest.

Personally I think they stopped because there is really no money to be made anymore. No point in paying people to update the software if no one is buying new flashcarts.

Reactions: nechigawara

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Just FIY - gateway cheats are much, much better than NTR ones so if you use then I don't recommend ditching gateway right now.
Since hacking moving on to b9s, and GW still lack support on both b9s and lastest firmware.
I think I understand why OP wants to move on.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have A9LH and Luma on my N3DS. I still use Gateway, but slowly going away from it to Freeshop/Cia games and cheats through BootNTR. I used Windows NTR Plugin Manager program to create some NTR cheat plugins and they seem to work so far. Only thing I don't like is turning system off and on again, then launch BootNTR, and lastly launch game and apply cheats each time I want to use cheats in a game. Is there a way around this?

My other concern is future game playability. Currently, I only have SysNAND and it is on 11.2. Anything I should do?

Thoughts and help greatly appreciated on all this :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I still have A9LH and Luma on my N3DS. I still use Gateway, but slowly going away from it to Freeshop/Cia games and cheats through BootNTR. I used Windows NTR Plugin Manager program to create some NTR cheat plugins and they seem to work so far. Only thing I don't like is turning system off and on again, then launch BootNTR, and lastly launch game and apply cheats each time I want to use cheats in a game. Is there a way around this?
That problem is kind of NTR nature. Nobody can fix it since NTR is closed source.

I saw some people ask aurora-san about cheating with Rosalina Luma3DS. And she said may be she will do it.
So, there is a chance that we won't need NTR to cheating anymore in the future, just Rosalina Luma3DS.

But, I don't know when it's come, and will it better or worse than NTR. :D

My other concern is future game playability. Currently, I only have SysNAND and it is on 11.2. Anything I should do?

Thoughts and help greatly appreciated on all this :)
Not sure if NTR will have a problem with b9s or not. But lastest Luma3DS need that entry point.
If you just want to go 11.4, you can just update your Luma to the build before 7.0 then update FW.
Or go all out and change to b9s, so you can use 8.0 Rosalina Luma3DS or 8.0 Legacy Luma3DS.

But, yeah, you will lose GW.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That problem is kind of NTR nature. Nobody can fix it since NTR is closed source.

I saw some people ask aurora-san about cheating with Rosalina Luma3DS. And she said may be she will do it.
So, there is a chance that we won't need NTR to cheating anymore in the future, just Rosalina Luma3DS.

But, I don't know when it's come, and will it better or worse than NTR. :D

Not sure if NTR will have a problem with b9s or not. But lastest Luma3DS need that entry point.
If you just want to go 11.4, you can just update your Luma to the build before 7.0 then update FW.
Or go all out and change to b9s, so you can use 8.0 Rosalina Luma3DS or 8.0 Legacy Luma3DS.

But, yeah, you will lose GW.

Thanks for the help and info. My Luma build is 7.0.5 or whatever it is, not sure I can update... [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Since hacking moving on to b9s, and GW still lack support on both b9s and lastest firmware.
1) b9s doesn't offer anything compared to a9l for end-users 2) you can use gateway on b9s via luma chainloader.
Currently, I only have SysNAND and it is on 11.2. Anything I should do?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-11-4-emunand-working-on-gateway-with-online-access.472624/
You can do this but its not needed as all games will work fine on 11.2
Nintendo has added any new system features for ages, they only tried to fix various exploits with latest firmware updates.

To sum it up - if you currently have 11.2 a9l setup and use you gateway cheats then don't do anything and just continue using it, everything will work on it. There is no need to update to 11.4 or b9s right now.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) b9s doesn't offer anything compared to a9l for end-users 2) you can use gateway on b9s via luma chainloader.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-11-4-emunand-working-on-gateway-with-online-access.472624/
You can do this but its not needed as all games will work fine on 11.2
Nintendo has added any new system features for ages, they only tried to fix various exploits with latest firmware updates.

To sum it up - if you currently have 11.2 a9l setup and use you gateway cheats then don't do anything and just continue using it, everything will work on it. There is no need to update to 11.4 or b9s right now.

Thanks for the info :)
But what about newer games? Don't they require newer firmware? I want to be able to play the upcoming Pokemon Sun/Moon Ultra and Metroid games, and hopefully still keep A9LH and Luma...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1