Hardware Time for the scene to prove itself?

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
slaysme said:
Ok, wow. The point was more about 3d homebrew live video player and recorder, freeware and independent games, flash for browser, etc. I'm just being realistic that if you can do that, you can most likely play pirated games.

Its' a toy for playing games, if you want to play videos, and surf the web, use something with a larger screen. There are scores of choices.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
slaysme said:
Alright guys. It's time to prove the value of home brew, of using the full capabilities of a system. It's either that or the cart companies, but I think that this could really turn things around for the good. At this point in time, allowing home brew and even piracy would only increase sales of the system. Let it happen for a while, then when the console is faring better, lock it back down. A few sales are better by far than none, and even the software would see a boost in sales, simply because any talk about a game is good publicity, to an extent. Then nintendo could use the programs that were written for the carts, def, whatever, and adapt them to official system functions. everyone wins.

OK, I'm on it.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
NahuelDS said:
Slyakin said:
And 80% of Nintendo's market doesn't even have a clue about what piracy is.
the other 20% is in gbatemp lol

This made my day. Surprising how many people on the 'temp think we who post here represents the average Nintendo customer

Snailface said:
Everybody in the industry seems to be saying the Apple Way is the right way. They give away free sdk's and encourage garage development. Shouldn't Nintendo follow suit as well? There's hope if the industry keeps the pressure on them to conform, but Nintendo doesn't change it's ways easily.

the thought of "bob's game" on the 3DS probably keeps Iwata up at night
tongue.gif
The Apple way- every person has a right to make an angry birds clone and charge £0.79p for it. The problem with the Apple way of doing things is that people who have worked hard to make something original and brilliant are forced to compete price-wise against hundreds of 'made in an afternoon' apps, so you wind up with a lot of crap

QUOTE(Zantigo @ Jul 29 2011, 03:56 AM) QUOTE(slaysme @ Jul 28 2011, 09:09 PM)
Ok, wow. The point was more about 3d homebrew live video player and recorder, freeware and independent games, flash for browser, etc. I'm just being realistic that if you can do that, you can most likely play pirated games.
1. It ALWAYS comes to the fucking video and flash player with you people doesnt it?

2. You do know that about 65% of indie games are cheep java/lua based clones of arcade games right? Do you think nintendo is in a rush to have fortresscraft on 3DS?

3. NOTHING about this topic is realistic. A Game company, no ANY company, Is going to hand out dev kits and source codes so that marty can make his stupid "s00par m4rty0 braz" game.
1. I've noticed this as well, get a phone with flash if it's so important- the 3DS browser is there (as far as I can tell) for Gamefaqs and posting on the 'temp!

2. Exactly, Nintendo should be about quality not quantity- having 30 different Pacman clones of varying quality and with various crap names will not help Nintendo at all- especially as the DS was plagued with awful shovelware and we want them to get away from that

3. "Hey kids, here's a dev kit- make your own games". 3 Weeks later "there's a lot of really bad games about isn't there? Why do 90% of them feature a man in a Guy Fawkes mask saying 'derp'?"

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well I agree about everything that was said about Apple's way of store. But there are great devs out there on the App Store, and good games. I'd rather play the Dead Space game on my 3DS !! There is atleast 5 hardcaore tower defense games that could make awesome 3DSware, DS included.

Pip'

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
naved.islam14 said:
Wtf are you saying, if there is too much piracy on a console and its games, companies won't release games because they won't have good profits.
Maybe, but if there's not enough systems sold they might not make any games for it either. The less systems out there means less copies are going to sell. Probably why some games have been dropped for now.

Neku_Sakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slaysme said:

1. Your post wont start some kind of a movement to hack the 3DS

2.Piracy is Good for people who don't like paying money but look at it realisticaly. Piracy hurts sales. Piracy hurts developers. Piracy Hurts Nintendo. If you do pirate games will Developers want to release awesome games? HELL NO!

3.Freeware homebrew is great and with the 3DS an emulator would be one hella powerfull emu.

I would like it if people would try not to push there own agendas on GBAtemp. It is pretty embarrasing -.-

stryke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Snailface said:
Everybody in the industry seems to be saying the Apple Way is the right way. They give away free sdk's and encourage garage development. Shouldn't Nintendo follow suit as well? There's hope if the industry keeps the pressure on them to conform, but Nintendo doesn't change it's ways easily.

tongue.gif

the "apple way" reminds me of the Atari way at the beginning of the 80's, and we all know how that ended.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Nintendo allows you to create, and use homebrew on your 3DS.
2. People create various emulators and game loaders.
3. People download them and pirate games.
4. Developers leave the 3DS in favor of a console that makes people buy games.
5. No one buys the 3DS.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
stryke said:
Snailface said:

tongue.gif

the "apple way" reminds me of the Atari way at the beginning of the 80's, and we all know how that ended.

And the most fitting post from a newcomer goes to.... stryke

Although I'm not sure most of the temp members are old enough to know what a 2600 was, never-mind the fact that the whole industry almost completely disappeared.

slaysme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a group of people on a home brew oriented website, you sure a bunch of elitist, brainwashed, unoriginal pirates.(not applicable to non pirating members) Who pirate games , then turn around and say how wrong it is, how it has such an effect on game sales... But regardless of the reason you have a flashcart, be it your own dumps or home brew, you geys act all white knightly about the 3ds. Piracy is an easy scapegoat. I love how you guys say "well the percentage of DS users who pirated is like 10%, most users don't know about it.." then turn around a defend software corporations and how they have been so hurt by piracy.
The 3ds is selling like ass. At this point in time, what's it going to hurt? It would sell more consoles, just like DS sales picked up when the cheap r4 hit mainstream. You can throw insults and insinuate a lack of intelligence, but that lack is mostly of free independent thought. Anyone who has an idea and posts it here is lambasted and skewered, told they are dumb and to hack it themselves. You are all as bad as gamefaqs posters.

There could be a great opportunity to clear the air of hacking and such, as it's currently leaving a foul taste in most peoples mouth, having heard of anon, luz, etc. They hit the media, disrupted Sony, and "hackers " apparently kill lots of people in COD. If we don't take good actions when they are needed, then all we bring to the gaming scene is loss. As a community, we can give something back, but you all just say, oh no, piracy is bad, home brew sucks, we can't do anything etc.

You are pathetic. If you disagree, fine. I made some very broad statements above and I'm sure many reading this will not fit int what I've said. Well then, it dosnt apply to u then.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slaysme said:
For a group of people on a home brew oriented website, you sure a bunch of elitist, brainwashed, unoriginal pirates.(not applicable to non pirating members) Who pirate games , then turn around and say how wrong it is, how it has such an effect on game sales... But regardless of the reason you have a flashcart, be it your own dumps or home brew, you geys act all white knightly about the 3ds. Piracy is an easy scapegoat. I love how you guys say "well the percentage of DS users who pirated is like 10%, most users don't know about it.." then turn around a defend software corporations and how they have been so hurt by piracy.
The 3ds is selling like ass. At this point in time, what's it going to hurt? It would sell more consoles, just like DS sales picked up when the cheap r4 hit mainstream. You can throw insults and insinuate a lack of intelligence, but that lack is mostly of free independent thought. Anyone who has an idea and posts it here is lambasted and skewered, told they are dumb and to hack it themselves. You are all as bad as gamefaqs posters.

There could be a great opportunity to clear the air of hacking and such, as it's currently leaving a foul taste in most peoples mouth, having heard of anon, luz, etc. They hit the media, disrupted Sony, and "hackers " apparently kill lots of people in COD. If we don't take good actions when they are needed, then all we bring to the gaming scene is loss. As a community, we can give something back, but you all just say, oh no, piracy is bad, home brew sucks, we can't do anything etc.

You are pathetic. If you disagree, fine. I made some very broad statements above and I'm sure many reading this will not fit int what I've said. Well then, it dosnt apply to u then.
Not everyone here pirates. Not everyone here thinks the same way. Not everyone here fits into the mold you're addressing.

Just remember this: You're lumped in with us as a member. Don't talk about yourself like that.

slaysme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right about that. I find it difficult to put things tactfully and still convey the strength of my point. I'm not very good at remaining calm when my ire has been aroused. I was just really shocked at the responses I received, I expected that more people would WANT 3d homebrew and video action. But how fast that turned to piracy, with home brew it self being scoffed goes to show me the large amount of hyprocary going on here. So if you're not a pirate, and you hate home brew, why are you here?
I'll pirate. I never said otherwise. But I really do still buy some games, and am a fan of DD., as long as there is reasonable drm measures. I'm also a total egocentric jerk who constantly is let down by fellow man.

A lot of people lie. A lot. I'm just pretty honest. Id rather not say anything than lie. I know some of the posters on this board are young, and feel a need to conform , belong, feel in. Even here anyone who says, whoo look at me I pirated game x gets so what of a cold comment and such. But when you say I only backup mine, or only ever trial periods, you are either a person with integrity, or a liar. But then you fit within the "rules" of what ok. Unspoken truths are still reality, and a group lie is still just that.

If you now dislike me, fine. Its just some dudes opinion on the Internet.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
slaysme said:
You're right about that. I find it difficult to put things tactfully and still convey the strength of my point. I'm not very good at remaining calm when my ire has been aroused. I was just really shocked at the responses I received, I expected that more people would WANT 3d homebrew and video action. But how fast that turned to piracy, with home brew it self being scoffed goes to show me the large amount of hyprocary going on here. So if you're not a pirate, and you hate home brew, why are you here?
I'll pirate. I never said otherwise. But I really do still buy some games, and am a fan of DD., as long as there is reasonable drm measures. I'm also a total egocentric jerk who constantly is let down by fellow man.

A lot of people lie. A lot. I'm just pretty honest. Id rather not say anything than lie. I know some of the posters on this board are young, and feel a need to conform , belong, feel in. Even here anyone who says, whoo look at me I pirated game x gets so what of a cold comment and such. But when you say I only backup mine, or only ever trial periods, you are either a person with integrity, or a liar. But then you fit within the "rules" of what ok. Unspoken truths are still reality, and a group lie is still just that.

If you now dislike me, fine. Its just some dudes opinion on the Internet.

I don't think anyone directly said they hate homebrew. More of "homebrew leads to piracy" Which in every single case on every single console that has ever been hacked with good intentions to play homebrew is true. Think I'm wrong? The PS3, for example, was basically hacked to get other OS back. Once it was hacked, HOLY CRAP PIRACY!

slaysme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is true to a good extent, even though I'm a lurker, I've been coming here for years, and contuine to do so. I pretty much stick around this 3ds section, because that's where my current interests lie. I want 3d content, if the big N is going to continue slacking, I'll look to the users and personal innovative for this. Look through this section, its not pretty. All around. The system is in trouble, and I want it to succeed, with many retail and digital games to play on my favorite gameboy ever.( I still call them all gameboy, even the psp. this is actualy a recent quirk, not an old habit)
Many owners seem unable to cope with this FACT, even when all evidence points to such. Instead, the whole of the world is a troll, one that wants nintendo to die.When Console sales are good, one in 3 systems sold never has more than 3 or so games bought for it. Attach rates on 3ds were high to begin with, although I'm not sure where they stand now, with many people selling their systems.
Nintendo has woken up recently, and is beginning to do what they need to to ensure the future of the system. These things are good. This whole post was apparently a waste of your time and mine, I'm sorry if I irked anyone, I came here because I thought this might be a reasonable breeding ground for good discussion on what we as users could ask for, attempt to do to solidify the place of the 3ds amongst the annuals of great gaming machines.

Home brew does lead to piracy, I know. That's the only reason I even mentioned it in the Inital topic.

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
Slyakin said:
Wat.

You think that, Nintendo allowing people to pirate on the system will make it more popular? What the hell are you smoking? Nintendo hates piracy with a passion. And 80% of Nintendo's market doesn't even have a clue about what piracy is.

Allowing piracy and allowing homebrew programs are two different things. They could allow you to run some code on the 3DS while preventing that from allowing piracy, but that would probably be much more complicated than their current anti-piracy systems.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Ben_j said:
Slyakin said:
Wat.

You think that, Nintendo allowing people to pirate on the system will make it more popular? What the hell are you smoking? Nintendo hates piracy with a passion. And 80% of Nintendo's market doesn't even have a clue about what piracy is.

Allowing piracy and allowing homebrew programs are two different things. They could allow you to run some code on the 3DS while preventing that from allowing piracy, but that would probably be much more complicated than their current anti-piracy systems.

The problem lies within the fact that some coders know very well how to load and execute .nds games. The very second that Nintendo allowed homebrew, someone would create a backup loader and the system is instantly open to piracy.

slaysme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That reminds me , one last thing. Most of you are from fully supported countries, with regulated commerce. . . . The real piracy issue is with people selling counterfeit games. This happens a LOT in certain places, and generally is pretty much ignored, jacking the system price up exponentially to offset the losses from software. They sell systems to these countries, fully knowing what the marketplaces look like. 10 years ago, piracy was less accessible, and it's much easier to get some$ from a bootlegger who just made a million, he pays N half, or he goes to jail. Too hard to prosecute 13 year olds with an r4, and they certinally would pay as much to the courts as they would be awarded.

There is a lot of shadiness we as consumers never hear about, because they pretend it's not there. A certain leeway has always been given to this in the past, and there will always have to be examples made. It's only now that the power has been dispersed that they are afraid. Is anyone here a member of a flashcart team? I'd like to know just how much they have given the big N over these last few years. It's all smoke and mirrors bs, people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."