Hacking Ticket mechanics/backup and restore/WUP installer question

Kufat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I understand it, a Wii U ticket is a bit of DRM/crypto-related data to authorize Game X to run on Console A. It's per-console, tied to some unique ID (serial number or equivalent) so sharing tickets from one console to another would be useless. So, two questions:

1. Will current/near-future jailbreaks have sufficient privileges to read/write the area in flash where tickets are stored?
  2. Would it be feasible for the purchaser of a used console running 5.3.2 that includes DLC/purchases tied to an account to back up the tickets for those, wipe the console, restore the tickets, and then re-add the associated titles with WUP installer? Seems like it should work if tickets are tied to something in ROM, or at least something in flash that's never rewritten, but I want to be sure.
Thanks!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. future exploit might have enough privilege to access NAND (and access where tickets are stored). Wii had access to tickets, and it never allowed users to fake a ticket install.
2. Tickets are tied to a randomly generated ID. (at least on Wii it was generated and could only have few different possible ID). Formating provided a different ID and you couldn't restore the previously bought/official tickets from that same console. it was tied to the current NAND content instead of the console hardware.

I don't know how the WiiU is working, but I suppose formating and/or unlinking NNID could affect the ticket too.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i would assume the wiiu uses a similar ticket system to the 3DS, being tied to both the console and the NNID associated with the console......i wonder....was there any wiiu's that came with pre-installed games :rolleyes:

Reactions: n1ghty

Kufat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was there any wiiu's that came with pre-installed games :rolleyes:
I believe the SM3DW bundle included preloads rather than eShop codes. Not certain.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It sounds like this means that the only way to get a 5.3.2 console with permanently available DLC and other eShop content is to already have it registered in your name. It also sounds like that's unlikely to change with anything currently known to be in the pipeline, unless the upcoming loader can also include DLC.

Frustrating that Nintendo doesn't want my money if I'm not on 5.5.0. Oh well.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I believe the SM3DW bundle included preloads rather than eShop codes. Not certain.
well depending on how the ticket system for preloaded games works for the wiiu there could potentially be "legit" wud's, a quick google implies some consoles had nintendo land and SM3DW pre-installed rather than code or physical disk....personally hoping they goofed on the wiiu too as i hate "pre-installed" its just another way of making 100% sure the buyer haze zero option to get rid of the bundled game if they dont want it, the "codes werent too bad at least you could sell them and buy the physical copy if thats what you prefer

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1