Hardware three red lights

zoozoo60

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
okay so one of my friends gave me a 360 with the red ring of death so i reset it with cotton swabs by jamming the fans worked great played for 15 mins went to town bought cables for monitor and sound got some games etc. get home works for 2 mins then gives me 2 lights so i took the whole thing apart replace thermal paste then do the penny trick put it all back together then i turn it on i get 3 red lights so i overheat it to fuse the thermal paste i let it cool for a hour then i turn it and i still get 3 lights
HELP ME!!

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Y
so i reset it with cotton swabs by jamming the fans
HELP ME!!

Never stop fans working its a bad idea.

This three red lights issue is actually a common Xbox 360 issue, also known as the Red Ring of Death.
Caused by a solder problem, where points on the GPU/CPU have worked loose, overheating or power issues
(Never stop fans working its a bad idea.)

TO FIX:

If your X-Box is still under warranty, DO NOT DO THIS!

Switching off your Xbox and letting it cool down before playing on it again. Ensure that the vents are not blocked and that the Xbox is not in contact with any heat generating item. Overheating can cause the three red lights to appear on your Xbox 360.
(So undo you bad fix)

Buy X-Clamp kit About C $5

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he already opened the 360 so unless he used a hair dryer to remove the warranty sticker, not much you can do about sending in other then buying a new one
but im guessing its a old phat one which is most likely out of warranty anyway

overheating the system is only temporary and isnt really doing anything to fix it
the way the 360 works is there is only a thermal sensor on the CPU chip and not the GPU, if the CPU gets to hot the system will display 2rrod, however is the cpu stays cool the gpu can get as hot as it wants and wont shut off the system
the trick to overheating is to keep the cpu cool while the gpu heats up
about 15 mins then let the cpu overheat
as I said, only temporary, might last a few hours or days but will break again

only way to truly fix it is get it reflowed but your looking at a $100 bill + shipping for that

other cheaper methods are x-clamp fix along with heat gunning the system
along with various internal mods to try and keep it cool

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even fixing it the heat sinks and reassembling your console will only fix it temporarily. Which is discouraging. But eventaully youll end up having to buy another xbox.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1