Thoughts on the wii u?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by jDSX, Oct 12, 2017.

1. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a refurbished wii from gamestop and I'm really enjoying it. That said I've been looking at the wii u, how do people who own it find it? is there enough fun to keep you occupied? I figured id get the splatoon for sure and from there smash bros wii u

BORTZ likes this.
  2. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    The Wii has a LOT of games if you dig deep into the library (people underestimate how fun the Wii can be) but the Wii-U I have trouble justifying it's purchase.... If you can get it cheap enough then you can at least also use it as a Wii...

CallmeBerto likes this.
  3. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    I'm not understanding your question.

Are you asking how do I add people?

Or are you asking which games should I pick up on it?

4. jDSX
    OP

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    general consensus dude

5. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I have one and I pledge to finish at least most of the games I own before picked up a Switch. And I do love it every time I boot it up.
    -SSMBrUthers
    -Bayonetta 1/2 (mostly 2 because it wouldnt exist without nintendo picking it up)
    -Pikmin 3
    -Wonderful 101
    -Xenoblade Chronicles X
    -Devil's Third (yeah i know but I like it lol)
    -Tokyo Mirage Sessions #Fire Emblem

And more.

DarthDub and aykay55 like this.
  6. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    If you like me skiped the original Wii the purchase is a easy decision, if you already have a Wii and a nice emulator-setup it's a tough question indeed.
    I think it's only really worth it if you have intresst in at least one of the very long games such as Xenoblade Chronicles X or Hyrule Warriors then.
    If you're not intressted in one of the really large games you maybe will run out-of-games sooner then you expect.
    If the NX really works out and gets alot of 3th party support you may want to skip the WiiU :unsure: But Pikmen 3, Yoshis Wolly World (lets face it: The artstyle adds alot and therefore it should be played in HD and not on a 3DS) and the recent Smash Bros. would be really misses (don't let me start with you missing a 3D Mario and by far the best entry in the New Mario Bros series). With the NX you don't miss the WiiU Zelda title nor the Mario Kart entry.

Last edited by VitaType, Oct 12, 2017
  7. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    The potential to play all GC (Thanks to nintendont), Wii and Wii U games natively from one device is really great about it imo.
    It is a shame that the disc drive doesn't accept GC discs so I have to use a friend's Wii to make backups of them.
    Injecting games takes a lot of time though, so I haven't moved all my GC and Wii discs to Wii U channels.

And while the Wii U had not that many games, a lot of them are really good.
    My list is nearly identical to the one of @BORTZ , Mario 3D World was also pretty good, especially the multiplayer and by forcing the player to collect a certain number of stars you see more of the hard work they put into the game.

Mario Kart 8 is imo the best Mario Kart since Double Dash as Mario Kart Wii was just a mess regarding the drifting and the amount of items. It is not that easy to start a new race online than to start a round of Sm4sh, so I don't play it that much anymore.

8. aykay55

aykay55 The Ideas Guy, Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Wherever there's food. And Nintendo.
    Go with the Wii U, itt has vWii which is exactly like the original Wii except for the various channels which don't exist on it (Internet, News, etc. because it already exist in Wii U Mode). If you want to boot the Wii Mode just hold B while the Wii U is turning on. Also, the Wii U has a Quick Start Menu so it's really easy to boot a game quickly. The Wii U Homebrew setup process will take no more than 1 hour.

If you have 5.5.2 then it will be harder.

You can run Wii U ROMs in Loadiine GX2, GC games in Nintendont and Wii games in a VC game with Wii VC injection.

Last edited by aykay55, Oct 12, 2017
  9. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U games. Homebrew makes this into the ultimate emulation machine.

rickwj324 likes this.
  10. WARlord1903

WARlord1903 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    Kekistan
    The Wii U has an incredibly small but nonetheless good library, however, I'd recommend just going with the Switch at this point unless you want emulators, which a normal Wii can do just fine.

11. rickwj324

rickwj324 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2013
    United States
    I've owned pretty much every game console (dating back to the 70's when I was a kid). The Wii-U is a great system. I have all of my GC, Wii, and Wii-U games on it as well as other emulators. Such a cool system when it's opened up to its full potential!! :)

12. aykay55

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Thread Bumper! Attack!

13. WARlord1903

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    Kekistan
    I've certainly seen worse bumps. Just keep in mind check the date of the last comment before replying just as courtesy. Also, probably a good idea to read all of the rules. Trust me, it'll save you a lot of embarrassment.

14. xpoverzion

xpoverzion Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2017
    United States
    If you like Nintendo games, then Wii U is the best console Nintendo has ever made. When it's hacked, you can play just about every game Nintendo has ever made over the past 30 years. It also plays Breath of The Wild, which is arguably the best game on the Switch right now. Wii U is the best, and most flexible Nintendo Console there is. Ditch your Wii and get the Wii U.

15. aykay55

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    DISCLAIMER: I do not mean to offend anyone religiously by this post. Please do not hate me.

Nintendo, Book of Reggie, 22:36

“Then he said to them, "But now, whoever has a money bag must take it, and likewise a pack. Whoever has none, must sell his console, and buy a Switch.”

16. WARlord1903

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    Kekistan
    T R I G E R R E D

17. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    The wii u had potential that nintendo never did think to do. 3DS player, play 3DS games upscaled in 720P with both TV and gamepad (Should also support new 3DS games) As a game card reader on the system. That would have been great since the SD card is hardly used for the wii u system. There was always a way to play other portable games on consoles why not 3DS?

Most games don't seem to use gamepad as much as it was probably the marketing point of the system, and is used in some odd ways. Some games use either/or the gamepad or tv screen, some games just mirror images the same things. Some games you wish you could play with just one screen you need both. What the heck? :blink:

18. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If someone were to ask me which Nintendo console he or she should buy today, I would recommend the Wii U. It can play practically anything any of its predecessors can play, you get access to a great Wii U library of games, and the Switch's library is currently lacking, not to mention a lot of popular Switch titles (e.g. Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8) are largely Wii U ports. Combined with Wii U USB Helper, the Wii U is an awesome choice.

Last edited by Lacius, Dec 9, 2017 at 7:39 PM
    rickwj324 likes this.