• Likes 3

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does seem like Sony has let the Vita twist in the wind for the past year but they're finally starting to push the console with some good bundles. I also get the feeling more people myself included are staring to take the plunge.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
honestly i dont know what sony was thinking releasing a console without a killer app we've seen this time and time again and people are surprised remember back in the day when consoles droped with big name ip's? look at nintendo now with the wii u i want one but im not gonna buy one yet there are no friggin games.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I have no desire for a PS3 right now (owning a capable PC and all).

Then too bad.

Even then I have no desire for Peace Walker on Vita when I have it on my Xbox 360.

I'm just more miffed about the general lack of TPS games from the PSP. Like no Syphon Filter games (last time I checked). What gives?

Also I'd like Coded Arms and its sequel. I thought they were fun TBH.

Metal Gear Solid 4.

...and now you desire a PS3. :P

Also Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Rising. Unless you want to buy a Xbox 360 but as a long time Xbox 360 owner I can't endorse that as much as a PS3.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Metal Gear Solid 4.

...and now you desire a PS3. :P
Not everyone likes MGS (although he did complain about no Peacewalker on the Vita, so yeah) My favorite PS3 (exclusive) games are Vanquish, inFamous 2 and Valkyria Chronicles. Somewhat more ontopic the Vita hardware does seem pretty nice (although I've never actually used one or seen one that wasn't on a store shelf) but it doesn't have enough games I would buy to warrant a purchase for me personally. Persona 4 seems nice but I have a general dislike of RPGs for some reason and I kinda want to play Gravity Rush but I'm not buying a system just for that.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone likes MGS (although he did complain about no Peacewalker on the Vita, so yeah) My favorite PS3 (exclusive) games are Vanquish, inFamous 2 and Valkyria Chronicles. Somewhat more ontopic the Vita hardware does seem pretty nice (although I've never actually used one or seen one that wasn't on a store shelf) but it doesn't have enough games I would buy to warrant a purchase for me personally. Persona 4 seems nice but I have a general dislike of RPGs for some reason and I kinda want to play Gravity Rush but I'm not buying a system just for that.

soulx wanks off to MGS but only plays the bad versions of them all.

Also Vanquish is multiplat and it works fine on the Xbox 360 (I own a copy). Actually it's the best TPS game in years.

Really I'd just suggest buying the system as it is a rather fine multimedia device on its own and you can pay a couple bucks for PS+ and play Gravity Rush and a ton of other games then can the subscription if you don't really want to pay any more.

The system admittedly is a bit limited but I do find it has some really neat timesinks.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with the Vita is that it doesnt know exactly what it wants to be. I had one for a month or so then quickly traded it in before it lost its value. Alot of the games i had, were watered down versions of games that were already available and better on home consoles. Rayman is better on console hands down and cheaper. Everybodys Golf is available on PS3 and has more going for it. Its the same story for other games i had for it (Ninja Gaiden, Wipeout, uncharted)

Since i sold it in April, i think there is probably 2 games which i would like to play, Persona 4 (which again, is a slightly updated PS2 game) and Gravity rush.

The Vita has been out now in the UK for 9 months, and the number of quality and ORIGINAL games for the system is non existent. Apart from 1 or 2 games, they are all available on home console and most of the time, better and cheaper on the pocket.

Add to the fact that during its most important time in the run up to xmas, the system seller games are truly woeful. Call Of Duty is terrible, Assassins Creed is so so, Silent Hill is boring, LittleBigPlanet (Better on PS3) Resistance (garbage)....i could go on.

Its overpriced, requires memory cards which are a total rip off. Sony have been playing the big "I am" for too long, and it was only a matter of time before something flopped big time.

But, having said that, i love the PSP and still do.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
soulx wanks off to MGS but only plays the bad versions of them all.

Also Vanquish is multiplat and it works fine on the Xbox 360 (I own a copy). Actually it's the best TPS game in years.

Really I'd just suggest buying the system as it is a rather fine multimedia device on its own and you can pay a couple bucks for PS+ and play Gravity Rush and a ton of other games then can the subscription if you don't really want to pay any more.

The system admittedly is a bit limited but I do find it has some really neat timesinks.
Oh, huh. I though Vanquish was PS3 only for some reason. Still, it's an awesome game and 15 bucks on PSN. Everyone should buy it.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem with the Vita is that it doesnt know exactly what it wants to be. I had one for a month or so then quickly traded it in before it lost its value. Alot of the games i had, were watered down versions of games that were already available and better on home consoles. Rayman is better on console hands down and cheaper. Everybodys Golf is available on PS3 and has more going for it. Its the same story for other games i had for it (Ninja Gaiden, Wipeout, uncharted).

Your opinion lost pretty much all of its credibility by calling Ninja Gaiden 'watered down'. It's arguably better than the PS3 version, which I dropped in about an hour...sunk tons of hours into Vita Gaiden. Makes me wonder if you even played it, or other games.

The vita doesn't have a TON of unique games going for it right now...but I also remember my 3DS sitting on the shelf collecting dust for ages too, and it couldn't even do ports that well so that option was out too. The Vita has a pretty good library so far if you aren't going to go into a blind hate against all ports/multiplats. You do have to remember it's a HANDHELD, not a home console. Portability costs a bit of sacrifice.

Reactions: exangel

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You do have to remember it's a HANDHELD, not a home console. Portability costs a bit of sacrifice.
A lot of people make the mistake of misjudging what the Vita is - the PSP suffered from the same issue. The PSP was coined to be the "Portable PlayStation (2) Experience" and it did its job well, the PSVita continues this tradition.

Sony was not trying to create a device that would cater to a market they know nothing about - the Vita is an extension of the established PlayStation line, which cannot be said about for example the DS line of products which from the start were made to provide an experience unique when compared to the home console one, and this is what causes the disappointment when seeing ports or typically home console-like games on the system.

People accuse the Vita of not being very "mobile" library-wise, but forget to mention that it was never meant to be like that in the first place.

Of course, Sony's getting second thoughts about that kind of a strategy at this point, which is understandable given the sales reports which are not exactly favourable, but from the design side, both the PSP and the PSVita are made to resemble the home console experience as much as possible and allow the gamer to "take it outside with him/her", and they both excel at it.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your opinion lost pretty much all of its credibility by calling Ninja Gaiden 'watered down'. It's arguably better than the PS3 version, which I dropped in about an hour...sunk tons of hours into Vita Gaiden. Makes me wonder if you even played it, or other games.

The vita doesn't have a TON of unique games going for it right now...but I also remember my 3DS sitting on the shelf collecting dust for ages too, and it couldn't even do ports that well so that option was out too. The Vita has a pretty good library so far if you aren't going to go into a blind hate against all ports/multiplats. You do have to remember it's a HANDHELD, not a home console. Portability costs a bit of sacrifice.

My fault, i didnt really explain it well. Of course I have played all that i mention. My point with Ninja Gaiden is that its a port of a game thats been on xbox and PS3 and to be honest, my personal opinion if that its the worst version of the 3. But regardless, its still a port of an old game. Why bring a game out that if people wanted to play it, then they already would have done on home console?

What im trying to say is, the Vita shouldnt be bringing the home console games to it, because they will always get a direct comparison to the console game, and will always come out second best because it wont match up graphics and content wise.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What im trying to say is, the Vita shouldnt be bringing the home console games to it, because they will always get a direct comparison to the console game, and will always come out second best because it wont match up graphics and content wise.
Except that's the entire point of the Vita, especially in-conjunction with Cross-Play capabilities. You seem to have misunderstood Sony's idea about the system.

Reactions: kristianity77

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Except that's the entire point of the Vita, especially in-conjunction with Cross-Play capabilities. You seem to have misunderstood Sony's idea about the system.

I totally understand what sonys idea is for the Vita, but my point is, its not working is it? Sales are low, the quality and quantity of titles, especially the supposed big hitters just isnt there.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I totally understand what sonys idea is for the Vita, but my point is, its not working is it? Sales are low, the quality and quantity of titles, especially the supposed big hitters just isnt there.
The same idea worked perfectly fine for the PSP, did it not?

PSVita sales will pick up the moment it gets what it needs - new games for its library. Right now there's only a handful and the system comes with a rather big price tag attached to it, but this situation will not last forever. All of the latest Sony consoles were slow at the beginning and picked up mid-way through their life cycles and the Vita will be no different.

For all intents and purposes, Sony is already tipping their hat at "mobile" gaming by introducing the Mono-based PlayStation Mobile platform and making the Vita an integral part of it - once the SDK is perfected and fully released, you can expect typically "portable" games to pop up rapidly as it dumbs down development to the barebones basics and allows for cross-platform development due to an independent VM for both Android and the Vita - it's quite a catch for mobile developers.

The kit is still considered to be in Beta stages and yet what you can achieve with it despite limitations is quite extraordinary.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I find the term "supposed big hitters" to be highly subjective.

I mean you say "Uncharted is a big hitter" and everyone goes "NO ONE CARES ABOUT UNCHARTED!" It seems the whole thing boils down to "supposed big hitters" being titles the system would never get like Mario or Pokemon. Like it gets good games, honestly the flow of titles isn't much different from the 3DS. I've noticed every month of doing GotM there's about the same noteworthy titles for the Vita as there are for the 3DS.

I'm just pointing out that it does get "big hitter" names but everyone goes "That game doesn't matter" when it is pretty quality.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What i mean is, like them or loathe them, there are games around that do "sell" systems. I cant stand COD games but they sell. Im only guessing here but I would assume that had COD turned out to be fantastic on the VITA, it would have shifted maybe hundreds of thousands of Vitas on the back of it (it may well still do if people dont look at reviews)

To me, there doesnt seem to be much in development at the moment for the vita that stands out. But surely from a developer point of view that is because not enough systems are being sold which is making them hesitant.

This is why games like COD, Assassins Creed etc HAVE to get it right for the Vita to succeed. Give people a reason to go out and buy the console to put more confidence in companies to spend more money developing better games so that half baked games like COD aren't the norm.

Persona 4 i think so far going on aggregate scores is one of the games of the year review wise, but its not a system seller. Thats just a game that people will buy who already know about it, mind a few exceptions.

And with regards to the PSP, the reason that "worked" to a degree, is because it was totally different market conditions back then. There was no mobile phone platform to deal with back then. It was just a straight race with Nintendo so there was less choice for the consumer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night