Those games you just can't seem to finish

Attacker3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thats like the opposite of this thread lol

Ok serious talk, I remember getting Advance Wars 2 my freshman year of highschool and thought it was dope. I struggled my way to chapter 4 and a half. After that, I am pretty sure that unless you are a tactical mastermind or something, those games are near impossible to finish. Because here's why: I borrowed a friend's action replay and found codes for AW2. Even with infinite health, I was losing battles.

Advance Wars is completely brutal, even the first one.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have so much more games I don't finish I don't even think I can list them all.

Outland is probably the one I should mention first: I've (probably) made it to the final boss before getting bored of it (and it's way off the difficulty chart). Others:
-papers, please
-castle crashers
-oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
-stealth inc 2: a game of clones
-orcs must die 2
-infinifactory
-mad max

Note that all of these are good, even great games (according to me). It's just that I lost interest in them at some point.

Eto

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
A few months ago I bought Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know! for the 3DS. Ever since then I have been playing it on and off. This game is not one that I would consider ready for retail sale. It runs choppy, and it gets worse when enemies appear on the screen. The cutscenes are also not that great, as they are mostly pixelated still images. Considering this is about Adventure Time, an animated TV series, I was disappointed in regards to that.

The gameplay itself is repetitive and unbalanced. I found myself moving through almost indistinguishable levels, fighting similar enemies, searching for an exit so that I could go to the next level and repeat the same process. Many times I ran in circles for minutes, until I reached a point in which Death spawns. Here he continuously follows me, trying to attack me, while also spamming phrases that are somewhat difficult to hear and understand. An upgrade system is present for the playable characters, but it requires treasure, and the treasure gets taken away when I return to the dungeon from the surface, where I can upgrade my characters.

Supposedly there are one hundred levels to explore, but I have only made it to level forty-five. Playing Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know! feels like a task to me. I think that the fans of Adventure Time will get the most enjoyment out of this game. More than likely I will put it back in its box, and I will pick it up again once I complete other games that I have been wanting to play.

Last edited by Eto,
Reactions: Deleted User

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I borrowed a friend's action replay and found codes for AW2. Even with infinite health, I was losing battles.
I'm genuinely impressed you can lose with that :')

As for games I can never finish, Skyrim and Oblivion are big ones. I play them for 20-30 hours when I'm into them but never make any progress on the story lol. Final Fantasy 3 is another one. I really like the game, but I can never muster the effort to commit to it.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm genuinely impressed you can lose with that :')
I can't tell if that's a joke and you are calling me bad at tactics lol

As for games I can never finish, Skyrim and Oblivion are big ones. I play them for 20-30 hours when I'm into them but never make any progress on the story lol. Final Fantasy 3 is another one. I really like the game, but I can never muster the effort to commit to it.
Man I dont think I could ever pick up a skyrim/oblivion game with the idea that "I'm going to finish this one day" because I never ever could. Heck I'm even scared to start Ni No Kuni lol

FF3 was... weird. Which version did you try? Was it the true japanese 3?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Man I dont think I could ever pick up a skyrim/oblivion game with the idea that "I'm going to finish this one day" because I never ever could. Heck I'm even scared to start Ni No Kuni lol

FF3 was... weird. Which version did you try? Was it the true japanese 3?
I have the PSP remake on my Vita. It's great you can carry FF1 through 10-2 on a portable system :P

CLOUD9RED

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I believe you can do it. :yay:

I haven't been able to beat any of the paper Marios, regardless that I find them very fun. I always get sidetracked, then when I come back I start over.

Ow thanks! Funny fact is that I've started to play this new Paper Mario as an excuse not to play Zelda :-) so far I'm loving it AND I will finish it, I will! :-D

Reactions: 8BitWonder

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the PSP remake on my Vita. It's great you can carry FF1 through 10-2 on a portable system :P
heck yeah. Oh man I would have tried FF3 PSP if I hadnt finished it a few months before the psp release. I got really lucky on the last boss. One of my characters was a Ninja and he was the last one alive. He was going down with the next hit from the boss, but i lucked out completely with a "throw weapon" attack. Truly magnificent and worthy of its own anime. If I hadnt won that time, FF3 would probably be in the deadpool list for me too.

Ow thanks! Funny fact is that I've started to play this new Paper Mario as an excuse not to play Zelda :-) so far I'm loving it AND I will finish it, I will! :-D
Shizzz technically I have to add Paper Mario and TTYD to my list. I got to the last last boss and my mario wasnt build right and there was no mathematical way I could actually win the game :(

Reactions: Scarlet

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems like open world RPG's are the ones that people drop the most. Probably due to the sheer volume of how much there is and how repetitive it can get.

I actually fall into the same boat, I've almost never finished an open world RPG (fallout, borderlands, skyrim, etc), although I've finished plenty of JRPG's

Last edited by marksteele,

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like open world RPG's are the ones that people drop the most. Probably due to the sheer volume of how much there is and how repetitive it can get.

I actually fall into the same boat, I've almost never finished an open world RPG (fallout, borderlands, skyrim, etc), although I've finished plenty of JRPG's
Man thats another one, I never technically finished Golden Sun The Lost Age. Somewhere near the end of the Mars lighthouse after you beat Karst and Agato the Mars star never appeared in my inventory again (glitch probably) and I didnt realize until after I had made a save. Needless to say, I wasnt able to light the lighthouse and couldn't finish the game. Since then I have tried to start with Golden Sun (I consider them to be the same game really, just with a cart split in the middle) and I havent been able to get back into it at all.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
All Legend of Zelda Games... my latest and ongoing attempt The Wind Waker HD.... some extra motivation is always welcome.
I feel the same way about wind waker. It's not the art style or the story, but somewhat after the first(I guess?) Dungeon, I just lost motivation twice(original and the remake).
More games i didn't finish despite getting pretty far:
Fluidity
Borderlands 2
Bayonetta 2
Donkey kong country tropical freeze

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
too many to name.

but the problem is that i always seem to just leave a game on about 50% to 75% complete. when i come back, i think how did i even make it this far.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much most games. I get to around 2/3rds done and just drop it for whatever reason. Occasionally I go back to finish it up, but ehhhhh.
For example, I'm only 30 mins away from the end of Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, but I haven't bothered to finish it up for 2 years now.
Xenoblade Chronicles, Batman: Arkham [all of them], every Elder Scrolls game, Wind Waker... Too many.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Kingdom hearts 3D.
I just can't get into that character system ;/

You can control -when- you switch characters, you just need to buy Drop Me Not's/Drop me Never's from the shop and voila. No more forced switching.
I did one world with either character then manually switched to the other once i had enough drop bonuses and finished the world.
Made the game way more sensical to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.