This Week in Gaming: January 7th

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jan 6, 2017.

Jan 6, 2017

This Week in Gaming: January 7th by Chary at 6:17 PM (2,300 Views / 14 Likes) 27 replies

1. SkittleDash

Member SkittleDash White Knight

United Kingdom
    I may be sneaky and try the JPN version and see how well the game plays. It's best to know what you're getting into before getting excited. lol

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Member Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I played the ps2 game back in the day just to get the final fantasy 12 demo :P

That game wasn't easy, even trying to beat the final boss on level 40 and not having the right skill allocation. I was more fun training monsters like pokemon and fighting metal slime for 60000 exp and using tension to make the main character look like Goku with purple skin, or dressing the characters up in different costumes. Bunny jessica in the casion is so right with the world. :D

3. chaosrunner

Member chaosrunner Substitute Soul Reaper

Canada
    cant wait for hatsune miku!!!!!!!!

Chary likes this.
  4. sarkwalvein

Member sarkwalvein GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Marcan doesn't go by that nickname anymore?

5. Chary
    OP

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Well, publishers see big money with mobile ports. Of course phones are the number one choice, but there's also the Vita and 3DS. Some PS2 ports (Persona 4 Golden-Vita) and (Dragon Quest 7/8-3DS) are due to contracts with companies. Others, like Namco's Tales of Innocence, I think it was? That got a Vita port, and Tales of the Abyss got a 3DS port, probably because they just choose specific companies they want to market towards. While there's a framerate loss in these downgrades, lots of other changes are made up for it. So they're usually the definitive version, despite being portable.

6. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    I guess but the problem lies in the fact that 3DS graphics are worst than vita and 3D games don't look as good especially for ports while 2D sprites always look good no matter how bad the resolution is. If mobile ports was the idea, then maybe something like Nvidia shield devices would been better to port than 3DS.

Is just the idea when you look at a 3DS port, comparing tales of abyss between the ps2 is way better in terms of visual presentation, and also performance. The videos of dragon quest 8 on ps2 and even android look better than 3DS.

To be honest i think the problem is they keep making the game for the old 3ds instead of new 3DS exclusive, the system has hardly any Exclusive games like Xenoblade chronicles and snes vc. If they just had focused more on that system instead maybe things would be different. But still square enix has many ports of their popular console games to android which are pretty good , it just make me wonder why not others do it too if they want it to be presented well. They could have even made the games for ps3 or ps4.... Or vita but they choose 3DS for ports, i hope is not worth the downgrade just cause more people buy the system and probably would buy the game as well.:ninja:

7. sarkwalvein

Member sarkwalvein GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    But the new 3ds had the same shitty resolution, and that is the problem to begin with.
    Tales of the Abyss is annoying to play because of this actually. And the sane may happen with DQ8.

Chary likes this.
  8. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    That was the point i was making with the NEW3ds, it hardly seem like a upgrade, is just as about the same as the playstation 4 pro, because games aren't being made exclusive to the console, it still being available for the old system. The fact that the resolution of games are still bad is fact i understand but some games also don't have the 60FPS and the bad framerate makes the game a problem. If the new console is supposed to be upgrade then they are doing poor job in marketing the upgrade by just saying the wrong stuff...

"BIgger screen on 3ds, Better 3D optimization with camera tracking, New exclusive games." But resolution are still the same, not all games use 3D and not many exclusive take advantage of the performance enhancement.

"PS4 PRO, HDR 4K gaming, LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS, GAME UPDATES TO improve quality." But hardly focus on making games stable 60FPS. "SHEILD TV 2, Now in 4K and HDR." Looks the same as the one i already have.... This is all nonsense. Make a new console and stop doing this upgrade nonsense cause you are marketing this stuff wrong. Xbox one s seem to have done a better job with the upgrade. I almost considered buying one, and i never had bought one xbox system before.:blink: