This Week in Gaming: January 7th

p-changecolor (1).gif

Welcome back to another round of this week in in gaming. It's been a while, so let's get caught up with the latest breaking news the video game industry has to offer.

Gaming Industry

maxresdefault.jpg

Nintendo to have Treehouse Live Dedicated to the Switch
Buckle up, because it's time to board the Nintendo Switch hype train. Nintendo of America will be holding a special Treehouse Livestream on January 13, providing an in-depth look at the games that are to be announced on the January 12 Direct. The Treehouse event will begin at 8:30 AM CST on January 13, while the Direct is set for 11 PM CST on the 12th.

:arrow: SOURCE

eddb2b66e23c4532831782e83f2e7ae3.png

New Shield TV Announced, GeForce Now Overhaul Announced
CES has begun once again, and Nvidia has recently shown off their latest model of their media streaming box. The New Shield TV will be able to stream video games from your PC to wherever the Shield TV is plugged into, like previous models, but this version gains the ability to stream games in 4K HDR. GeForce Now will also be getting an upgrade. Previously a renting service that allowed gamers to temporarily rent games and stream them from a powerful PC to their Shield TV, soon this will be changed to let players log in on a powerful (GTX 1080 GPU) virtual rig, and download their existing game library to be streamed to any device. Of course, this won't be a free service: Nvidia is going to charge $25 per 10 hours of gameplay. If you want to stream from a virtual PC with a GTX 1060, that will set you back only $25 per 20 hours. The new GeForce Now will be going into free beta testing later this month, which you can sign up for here, while the Shield TV will be launching by the end of January.

Assorted News

Shenmue HD Website Gets Registered By SEGA EU
It looks like with the advent of Shenmue 3, SEGA might get around to remastering the original, aged Dreamcast title. The domain ShenmueHD.com has been registered by SEGA as of this week, meaning there could be a remake in the works. Of course, this is still speculation at this point, but SEGA has noted in the past that they were "investigating" remastering the first two Shemue games for modern consoles.

Mass Effect 2 is Free Right Now
If you've been waiting to try the Mass Effect games and don't mind going out of story order, or you just like free games, EA is offering Mass Effect 2 for free for a limited time for PC users. The caveat is that the game must be redeemed through EA's client, Origin, but once redeemed, the game is yours forever.

TMNT_Mutants_in_Manhattan_cover_art.png

Platinum Games' TMNT Game Removed from Digital Platforms
Activision strikes again, as they have delisted the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game from Steam, XBL and PSN entirely. The Platinum-developed game released in May of last year, meaning TMNT wasn't even around for more than 8 months before Activision pulled the plug. The Amazing Spider-Man has also been delisted as well. Although you can no longer purchase these games digitally, you can still get them in physical form.

634805c79d9842b18eca1945ca2b0a76.png

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 Starts Next Week
The popular speedrunning competition for charity, AGDQ, is here once again. The event will start on January 8th and run until the 15th. There will be many games available to watch via Twitch, including speedruns of titles like Undertale, Super Metroid, and even romhacks and bootlegs!

SEGA Says NO PC/Switch Release for Yakuza or Persona
John Hardin, the community manager of Atlus and SEGA has put some PC port rumors to rest on Twitter. Despite SEGA's past trend of having major success on the PC platform, Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 will never be getting ports to either Nintendo Switch nor PC.

XCOM 2 Getting "The Long War 2" Mod
Long War Studios will be developing another mod pack for the latest XCOM game. This will be an "official" mod release for the PC version of XCOM, to which series developer Firaxis claims there will be more new info revealed "in the coming weeks"

Niche Game Announcements

Birthdays the Beginning delayed to May
Initially planned for an "early March" release, Harvest Moon creator Yasuhiro Wada's newest game, Birthdays, has been bumped to a release on May 9th for North America and May 12th for Europe. The game will be available on PS4 and PC with English, French, German, and Spanish language options.

DJMAX Respect Gets Western Release
The popular rhythm series, DJMAX, will be seeing it's latest entry make its way worldwide for the Playstation 4. The game will be hitting digital stores sometime in July. DJMAX Respect will feature more than 100 songs, including tracks from previous games.

Oxenfree, Aqua Kitty, Curses N Chaos Getting Physical Releases
These three indie titles will be getting boxed releases thanks to Limited Run Games. The publisher has revealed these as their upcoming releases. Oxenfree will go on sale on January 20, and Aqua Kitty and Curses and Chaos will be on sale on January 27.

Injustice 2 Gets Release Date
DC's 2013 fighting game, Injustice will be getting a sequel, according to NetherRealm Studios. The sequel will be releasing for PS4 and Xbox One on May 16, 2017.

937913335a3b469ea27657e238c6f05a.png

Nippon Ichi Software Shows Off Teaser for a New Game
NIS has a new title up their sleeves, it seems. The company put up a teaser website for a new game that showcases 11 different people surrounded in a pool of blood. It is unknown if this game is part of a new series, or when it will be fully revealed.

Fan Projects

C1dmpS9XEAQo8Za (1).jpg-large.jpg

PS4 Running Vulkan and Dolphin via Linux

Twitter user Hector Martin has showcased that it's possible for the Playstation 4 to boot into Linux and utilize the Vulkan backend in order to run Dolphin, the Gamecube/Wii Emulator. While this isn't available to the public, it's still a fascinating display of a proof of concept to see the capabilities of the PS4.

Trailers

Mass Effect: Andromeda CES Trailer

Bloodstained Village Gameplay

Game Release Calendar

January 10
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone (PS4)
January 15
Road Redemption (PC)
January 17
Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (PSV)
2064 Read Only Memories (PS4)
Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (PS4, PSV)
January 20
Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
Dragon Quest VII: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS)
Urban Empire (PC)

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being so into Mortal Kombat X and realizing how much I love fighting games, I am very interested in Injustice 2. If I'm not mistaken, Scorpion will be in the game. Sub-Zero maybe? I'm more excited about MK characters in a DC game than the DC characters themselves. Two exceptions are Batman and Joker.

Reactions: Chary

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't expect a release date so soon considering how little has been discussed about the game. O_O

Besides nvidia let down for the shield tv 2 or whatever.... some questions. Why is ninja turtles not being sold anymore? What is vulkan and why it suddenly seem popular. Are they trying to run wii games on ps4 now? Also i previously made a thread about AGDQ 2017 but went unnoticed. So yeah, if anyone has answers for me, that be nice.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't expect a release date so soon considering how little has been discussed about the game. O_O

Besides nvidia let down for the shield tv 2 or whatever.... some questions. Why is ninja turtles not being sold anymore? What is vulkan and why it suddenly seem popular. Are they trying to run wii games on ps4 now? Also i previously made a thread about AGDQ 2017 but went unnoticed. So yeah, if anyone has answers for me, that be nice.
Activision just likes to remove games sometimes. I assume this is due to license agreements? Although 8 months is an insanely short time for a game to have a license for...

Vulkan is like Directx12, sort of. Its some kind of a graphics backend. And I think they're trying to test the limits of what the PS4 can do in general.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Activision just likes to remove games sometimes. I assume this is due to license agreements? Although 8 months is an insanely short time for a game to have a license for...

Vulkan is like Directx12, sort of. Its some kind of a graphics backend. And I think they're trying to test the limits of what the PS4 can do in general.
I got upset cause i remember turtles in time reshelled being a big deal but by the time i had a ps3 to play it, it wasn't available anymore and now i'll never play it. I heard some people really didn't like it but i still wanna try it. :(

There had been a similar problem with marvel vs capcom games on psn but is kinda fixed, i mean is on ps4 and download only with all DLC for UMVC3 But still can't buy the DLC on ps3 or vita or the MVC2 or MVC origins. I was lucky to get a copy of all them before the removal purge. :)

Also what about opengl? I thought that was the popular thing right next to directx. I mean i didn't hear about it until recently when my Shield TV got a update talking about it but i don't think any apps i have use it at all so i was confused how it supposed to work. And now they wanna make it work on ps4? Why not just strip the hardware from game console and build a pc with it instead? Or buy a PC, is seem like a big deal but i wonder how long it will last or if it will be suceeding the current stuff we have.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It's so great waking up in the morning checking gbatemp.net and procrastinating the breakfast reading gbatemp.net news

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Or you could get a news paper, or watch tv news, is just about the same, just not game related. :rolleyes:
Newspaper smells bad
TV news are annoying, (and noisy) a live stream I can't skip it, *insert more whiny*

Why would I care about news non game or non tech related in the morning?
Normal news is for the night when I am ready to sleep, that's when I care about little Joey wanting a Playstation for Christmas, or that random family is happy with the location they choose for vacation
OR that they solved the sidewalk hole in elections year

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newspaper smells bad
TV news are annoying, (and noisy) a live stream I can't skip it, *insert more whiny*

Why would I care about news non game or non tech related in the morning?
Normal news is for the night when I am ready to sleep, that's when I care about little Joey wanting a Playstation for Christmas, or that random family is happy with the location they choose for vacation
OR that they solved the sidewalk hole in elections year
You need to move if that the kind of news you get on tv, or would you rather hear people on news dying every night, or someone getting scammed or going to jail or some other possible accident? You would think you can't even step outside without worrying about being in trouble. :P

I was curious about this linux to ps4, why not do something like windows, linux seem important for many things, i mean it was even on ps3.

Reactions: migles
D

Deleted-379826

I got upset cause i remember turtles in time reshelled being a big deal but by the time i had a ps3 to play it, it wasn't available anymore and now i'll never play it. I heard some people really didn't like it but i still wanna try it. :(

There had been a similar problem with marvel vs capcom games on psn but is kinda fixed, i mean is on ps4 and download only with all DLC for UMVC3 But still can't buy the DLC on ps3 or vita or the MVC2 or MVC origins. I was lucky to get a copy of all them before the removal purge. :)

Also what about opengl? I thought that was the popular thing right next to directx. I mean i didn't hear about it until recently when my Shield TV got a update talking about it but i don't think any apps i have use it at all so i was confused how it supposed to work. And now they wanna make it work on ps4? Why not just strip the hardware from game console and build a pc with it instead? Or buy a PC, is seem like a big deal but i wonder how long it will last or if it will be suceeding the current stuff we have.
OpenGL isn't too popular, it's obsolete from my knowledge. It's a lower end, older and lower performance graphic backend compared to Direct3d, direct3d is probably what you want! :P
You need to move if that the kind of news you get on tv, or would you rather hear people on news dying every night, or someone getting scammed or going to jail or some other possible accident? You would think you can't even step outside without worrying about being in trouble. :P

I was curious about this linux to ps4, why not do something like windows, linux seem important for many things, i mean it was even on ps3.
I believe it has to do with the architecture and how Linux is open source. That makes it a lot easier than trying to port a closed source Operating system which cannot be customized to work on well *consoles* and which has higher system requirements, therefore being more sluggish. Anyway it's not that Linux is important, it's just not the hardest to port I assume and if it's a good port, it can be neat and useful for things like as you've seen, Dolphin!

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Interesting about the GeForce Now thing. I had no idea they had such a service.
Perhaps this is how the Switch plans to run newer games? Streaming from a virtual PC off location via some form of data signal or something?
I kinda doubt it, but at the same time that sounds as something revolutionary that Ninty might try. Yet on the hypothetical 3rd side of the coin, they don't seem to be the company to do that, either.
Hmm.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

are there .pkgs of the game, so you can install to a hacked ps3? you should google if you can.

and why not build a pc instead? well, 400 is good for what you get. plus it's more fun to do things you shouldn't be able to do.

as a side-note, the ps4 hardware isn't a blank slate. you've gotta work with what you get. with the security and all that.

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Nice summary. Im quite amazed at how games that havent got to much info qre going to be released so soon (ME: Andromeda ans Injustice).

(Also, why KH 2.8 is not on the release calendar :glare:)

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Nice summary. Im quite amazed at how games that havent got to much info qre going to be released so soon (ME: Andromeda ans Injustice).

(Also, why KH 2.8 is not on the release calendar :glare:)
Worldwide release is the 24th right? I always end the calander releases on the day that I'll make a new This week in gaming. The next thread is set for the 20th (which is where this calander stops at) and will include KH2.8

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Worldwide release is the 24th right? I always end the calander releases on the day that I'll make a new This week in gaming. The next thread is set for the 20th (which is where this calander stops at) and will include KH2.8
Oh ok, i failed basic math (forgot it was weekly :rofl2:)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to Dragon Quest 8. I didn't bother with the Android/IOS release.
I would have gotten a android version to check out, but when i tried testing a apk file, i couldn't controll it with a controller so i said "OH NO! Sorry, RIP" To be honest, i'm surprised that 7 and 8 were going to be ported to 3DS, cause you know... NINTENDO and CENSORSHIP? But someone here already started fixing that.

Another problem is why they keep choosing 3DS for PS2 game ports? I mean if it was like 2D sprite games, is okay, those look great on such a low res screen, but 3D games from a enhanced system like ps2 to 3DS, I wonder how many people actually like those, games like Tales of the abyss... @Chary your thoughts, cause you probably has 3DS game. :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.