This Nintendo Switch launch defect compilation video is terrifying

You know what they say: never buy a console out of launch. But some of us just can't resist, right? Screw it I'm getting one... wait! maybe not.

This video provides visual proof of a variety of problems people are having across the globe. We hope these early adopters will be able to get their consoles replaced or fixed quick!

Also, not visible in the video: 1.99 million other consoles working normally

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can understand some will say launch consoles come with issues.... that is correct all of them are prone to some sort of issue.

but alot of these issues are due to poor design and manufacturing, things like the left and right joy cons getting stuck if the clip is put on the wrong way, alot of people have accidently put them on the wrong way and its stuck.

its not clear enough on the device which is the correct way.... as one user stated this console is also going to be used by kids, so seeing adults make the mistake you are more likley an child will make the same mistake.

this should have been either marked more clearer which way is correct or design it so it can only be connected the right way.

the desing of the joy cons is poor, they are wobbly and dont feet like its connected properly.

the docking station is a mystery to me.... how nintendo never thought that sliding a screen into a rather firm solid plastic dock will cause scratches to the screen..... especially when they use cheap screens and not paid that little extra to use gorilla glass.

the device itself, the amount of users reporting that its not detecting the game card.... then theres the lag with the old IR sensors on the joy cons again i dont understand why Nintendo used IR when there are better options, again old tech.

the joy cons fail to sync, disconnect and have poor input if you are only feet away from the console.

the wifi is known to suck and alot of the problems nintendo have released statements or should i say excuses stating this is normal and its the user at fault.

such as:
wifi: disconnect other devices and move the device closer to the router...... sorry erm no you shouldnt have to disconnect devices in order for the switch to get a decent signal, it is not the wifi singal thats the problem, its the cheap tech you put in the console.

as for move closer to the router now i will say a good 90% of users that have internet have their router sat in their living room with the phone line, a high percentage of gamers will likely have their console in the living room.... or in their bedroom which other devices have no issue connecting to the wifi.

the docking station..... nintendo state the user should attach a piece of soft cloth so the screen isnt damaged.

as for the device making terrible sounds like that, then graphical issues, inverted screen colors.

this console seems to have far more issues than i have known, this is not good considering this is nintendo's 2nd console during the same generation that is already yet again an inferior and over priced console and sorry its sales are not as good as nintendo claim (yet comparing to the failed wii u).

i dont get why people buy everything nintendo claim.... wake up as a business they will never turn round and say darn this launch was not as we predicted, hence why like the wii u they havent released a prediction on sales, because if it falls short of this like the wii u then bad for business.

however they can go back to the last system and say its doubled sales, then that makes the company look better.

but alot of people wont take into considerations that the switch should really be compared to Nintendo last home console and handheld sales with it been both in one...... and it fails to come close.

in the UK during the same period the wii u (if the switch did double) and 3ds sold:
wii u: 40K
3ds: 113K
Total: 153K

Switch: 80K

and saying that, these figures still fall short from its competitors during the same period.

Reactions: DrkBeam and T-hug

soratheultima

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I bought myself a gray switch unit yesterday. The Joycons are firm and do not show any issues/wobbly defunkts.
The dock is easily fixable by adding black electric tape to where the unit slides in. Although, I must say that it is pretty greedy of Nintendo not to insert strips of rubber in these locations where the dock may hit the plastic tabs. The little tiny rubber strips on the lower part are not sufficient enough.

The WiFi reception is really shitty as everyone else says. I get 2 bars in my room which is right next to the router (2 Meters away no wall between).

No graphics issues yet. Zelda was working fine without any stripes. I assume it is a bigger issue in the USA since more units need to be pushed out over there.

All in all it is okay. I just wished that Nintendo would push some apps out for it such as: Nvidia gamestream (since it contains an nvidia processor) YouTube and more. Since there are already android Forks of these it shouldn't be an issue of porting them over.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

hksrb25s14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides the scratch sceens, you have to realize some you tubers would mess up and destroy their Switch just to get subscriber and likes in their channel.
It's Sad. Just like the Ps4 pro melting at the cooling fan location. Hmmmm....

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've got every Nintendo console and handheld at launch since the N64 (not sure if the NES and SNES were launch consoles since I didn't buy them). I've never had any trouble with my devices. The dock scratching is a design flaw for sure, but one that doesn't affect me since having a screen = screen protector :P

WiFi is just as good in my room as any other device (I have shitty reception in my room).

I'm happy with it so far.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lol, actually it pisses me off. These YouTubers really want to makeeveryone think the Switch is miserable, but there is what? 10,000 defective units? With half of them being fake reports, that leads us to a ridiculous defection rate. Statistics, guys. It follows a Gaussian distribution: there is always a small percentage of units that can have such problems.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Neon Switch and still the only problem I have experienced was the slightly finicky left joycon. Wifi reaches everywhere I need it to as well.

Reactions: Cortador

CharlesHoy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, a lot of the screen damage ones may be from mishandling at retail level, I remember working in a warehouse where they sold new tech and the amount of stuff that fell off the pallets and thrown about was ridiculous.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume the Joy Con issue will be an easy fix once the engineers fully investigate the causes. What really has me concerned is the wifi, this is a hybrid and is meant for portable gaming. Some major IPs and especially Splatoon 2 are primarily online games. Crummy wifi will ruin these.

I have only done limited testing but unless I am in the same room with the router I can only pull 2-3 Mbps down/1 Mbps up with the Switch whereas my iPhone and iPad can pull 30-40 down/ 5-7 up in the exact same locations even when shutting off wifi for the other devices not being tested.

Granted I am using a crappy ISP provided router and may have to invest in something better and am willing to do so but the performance of the Switch has to improve otherwise this is a severely gimped modern portable gaming system.

It will be next week before inhave the time to do further testing and try with a premium router, but I am very concerned. My hunch is they have all the radios in this thing at a low power setting to meet their battery time specs. That might have to change.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW, Even for a LAUNCH CONSOLE, this is horrible. Nintendo, why did you hype us up for the Switch and then let us down? Again, I'll give it SOME slack because it's a launch console, but this is rather...disappointing. The concept is great, don't get me wrong. I HOPE it's just a bad batch of screens and other parts.

Hopefully it will be all hiccup-free by the end of this year (likely before that).

Reactions: MartyDreamy

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm ok with the bugs, these will be (probably) fixed, but the fact that they won't RMA units with stuck/dead pixels is just absurd.
Also, they better have a way to update firmware through USB because those units that won't boot up at all seem fcked otherwise.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Dead pixels is a common problem with all LCD displays. If you have a cluster of them like 5-6 then that should warrant a exchange. 1 or 2 is not considered a problem.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im due to recieve one too, just hope its not defective lol
Dead pixels is a common problem with all LCD displays. If you have a cluster of them like 5-6 then that should warrant a exchange. 1 or 2 is not considered a problem.

Paying nearly 280 for a brand new console and having dead pixels is not a common problem when the console is brand new.

it is common to get dead pixels after a period of time.... end of the day it ruins the experience and nice to see nintendo just BS its customers.

so is that then their way of telling customers to FO, we used cheap hardware and supplies if yours is having dead pixels or the other countless problems jog on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...