This Nintendo Switch launch defect compilation video is terrifying

You know what they say: never buy a console out of launch. But some of us just can't resist, right? Screw it I'm getting one... wait! maybe not.

This video provides visual proof of a variety of problems people are having across the globe. We hope these early adopters will be able to get their consoles replaced or fixed quick!

Also, not visible in the video: 1.99 million other consoles working normally

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair, every device has a certain frequency of DoA and defective units, the reason why we hear about the Switch is that it's the latest system made by one of the three major console manufacturers. It's a little early to speculate what the percentage of the affected units is, and while it seems high, what doesn't on the Internet, a megaphone for an endless mob of users? I'd say we should wait a month or two and see what happens - Nintendo is sure to release a statement on the matter.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Man it's such a double edge sword. If not enough people buy the console, it will fail. But people want to buy it, but not at the start.

Reactions: Costello

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Man it's such a double edge sword. If not enough people buy the console, it will fail. But people want to buy it, but not at the start.
It's almost as if rushing a system to market because its predecessor bombed and you desperately need a new revenue stream affects the overall quality of the product.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow... it is unbelievable how much the switch is glitching like that and how easily damaged it is.
Actually based on other videos it's a very durable console. Other users have already posted those videos in earlier pages.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's almost as if rushing a system to market because its predecessor bombed and you desperately need a new revenue stream affects the overall quality of the product.
You're saying that as if the problems are widespread (I'm estimating the major problems that can't be fixed by firmware updates are a very small minority), or as if literally every other console hasn't had this type of thing happen day one. Just take a look at the PS4 day one problems video I posted a page back.

Reactions: jpx86

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually based on other videos it's a very durable console. Other users have already posted those videos in earlier pages.
As a Switch owner I can tell you for certain that it has lots of failure points and could've been both designed and built better. I've seen cardboard more durable than the plastic Nintendo used for that flimsy dock. Speaking of the dock, it's way too light and I feel it could easily tip over if you looked at it funny. I also don't understand why it has the front wall - it seems that it exists for the sole purpose of scratching the screen, although it was probably designed to protect it when the tablet is docked. Then there's the joycons. The fact that they can even be put on "the wrong way" goes to show that design was rushed - they could very easily be molded to only slide one way or both ways without jamming.

Reactions: osirisjem
D

Deleted User

Remember when PS4s were shipped without an HDMI port? No? Was that just me?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a Switch owner I can tell you for certain that it has lots of failure points and could've been both designed and built better. I've seen cardboard more durable than the plastic Nintendo used for that flimsy dock and the fact that joycons even can be put on "the wrong way" goes to show that design was rushed - they could very easily be molded to only slide one way or both ways without jamming.
The dock is okay, but I can agree it's crap if they plan to charge $90 for it. I honestly am baffled so many people have a hard time matching symbols to put the joycon grip on, but if so many people are doing it then I guess it is a problem.
But IMO those two issues aren't very major. The dock doesn't need to be super high duty material, it's only hold the switch which is light. Unless you are somehow going to be extremely rough with the dock I don't see it breaking anytime soon. But still I don't see it worth $90.
I can see a revision to the joycon straps that make them only go on one way. But for now these issues aren't really that major. If you put the strap on backwards once, chances are you won't do it again.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The dock is okay, but I can agree it's crap if they plan to charge $90 for it. I honestly am baffled so many people have a hard time matching symbols to put the joycon grip on, but if so many people are doing it then I guess it is a problem.
But IMO those two issues aren't very major. The dock doesn't need to be super high duty material, it's only hold the switch which is light. Unless you are somehow going to be extremely rough with the dock I don't see it breaking anytime soon. But still I don't see it worth $90.
I can see a revision to the joycon straps that make them only go on one way. But for now these issues aren't really that major. If you put the strap on backwards once, chances are you won't do it again.
Oh, it's definitely not worth $90 - there's nothing in it, it's an HDMI pass-through. And yes, I do expect the dock to be heavy duty because it's supposed to hold my brand-new, expensive console in place. The plastic is so thin that it bends when you squeeze it gently, it also feels very brittle compared to the higher quality plastic of the joycons. As for using the sliders in the wrong direction, it doesn't matter if it's the user's fault - it's a design flaw, it shouldn't be possible if it introduces the possibility of permanently damaging the system, and that *is* a major deal. It only takes a moment of not paying attention to screw up and the joycon plastic is easy to snap.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am waiting till I can get a refurbed Switch XLite 3-5 years from now then I'll only have a year or two to wait for Zelda Switch or Metroid.

Seriously why? Why buy a switch unless your Mario obsessed and want Odyssey, I can't fathom a single reason to buy this system there is not a single announced game I'd pay for.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, it's definitely not worth $90 - there's nothing in it, it's an HDMI pass-through. And yes, I do expect the dock to be heavy duty because it's supposed to hold my brand-new, expensive console in place The plastic is so thin that it bends when you squeeze it gently, it also feels very brittle compared to the higher quality plastic of the joycons. As for using the sliders in the wrong direction, it doesn't matter if it's the user's fault - it's a design flaw, it shouldn't be possible if it introduces the possibility of permanently damaging the system, and that *is* a major deal. It only takes a moment of not paying attention to screw up and the joycon plastic is easy to snap.
I'll agree with you on the joycon issue, but IMO the dock isn't a big deal. It's definitely durable enough to hold a small light system in place. Unless you are purposely bending it, the plastic is more than enough to hold the switch without any worry of breaking.

Imacaredformy2ds

Smartass
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am waiting till I can get a refurbed Switch XLite 3-5 years from now then I'll only have a year or two to wait for Zelda Switch or Metroid.

Seriously why? Why buy a switch unless your Mario obsessed and want Odyssey, I can't fathom a single reason to buy this system there is not a single announced game I'd pay for.
Becuase it's Nintendo and the hype got to the people

Last edited by Imacaredformy2ds,

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm so jealous... My wiiU dont have these switch features.
So many switchs switching things.

I not will be the one saying who said it would be a failure and will bring nintendo down.
Oh hell, I will be yes. :v
Embrace your tablets. The wild is comming. ^^

Reactions: jimbo13

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, weren't the people who couldn't get the Joy Con strap off the Joy Con just forgetting to lift the plastic tab? Or, was it really stuck?

Like at 1:24 in the video.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll agree with you on the joycon issue, but IMO the dock isn't a big deal. It's definitely durable enough to hold a small light system in place. Unless you are purposely bending it, the plastic is more than enough to hold the switch without any worry of breaking.
Suit yourself, I think a system I paid a bunch of dough for should be made out of plastic that's slightly higher quality than that used for gadgets in Poundland. I also don't get the "look at the PS4!" line of defense - that's not the topic. The very first post I made in this thread acknowledges that every single device has a degree of DoA or defective units and that it's too early to assess the damage without official word from Nintendo or retailers, and that it'll probably take a month or two to find out how widespread the problems are. I don't have an issue with rare manufacturing defects, I have problems with how the first revision was designed, which is a wholly different topic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1