Hardware This is how nintendo will screw it up

tri_fin

Trophies
XP
Country
What does this have to do with Nintendo specifically? All modern hardware/software receives updates to bug fix and add features. You're not some "rebel" for refusing to update, you're simply willing to accept drawbacks of earlier versions to get free games/homebrew. Which is fine, just don't misrepresent it.

Sorry but the fact remain that Windows Updates has caused hours, days, years of trouble. Millions of man hours, across the globe, to repair the problems that poor coding and sloppy working practices have caused. I have singled out MS as they are an easy target but it is the same in nearly all sectors of manufacturing etc.

I pirate games. I buy games. Loads of them. I have been doing so for years. I really am not talking about updates messing with my homebrew. I am talking about spending endless weekends at work trying to sort out IT problems.

Last edited by tri_fin,
Reactions: gameboy

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
its because the switch can be taken on the go, nintendo has a bad history with updates: 3ds, wii. They still have bad history with simple internet stuff too and pissing off their consumers
And because it's protable it can't have updates to introduce to new features / ideas the dev team have / had?

Sorry but the fact remain that Windows Updates has caused hours, days, years of trouble. Millions of man hours, across the globe, to repair the problems that poor coding and sloppy working practices have caused. I have singled out MS as they are an easy target but it is the same in nearly all sectors of manufacturing etc.

I pirate games. I buy games. Loads of them. I have been doing so for years. I really am not talking about updates messing with my homebrew. I am talking about spending endless weekends at work trying to sort out IT problems.
let me get this straight, you hate updates because of the "IT Problems" but are willingly to run unsecure in a minefield?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
its because the switch can be taken on the go, nintendo has a bad history with updates: 3ds, wii. They still have bad history with simple internet stuff too and pissing off their consumers
So? Switch has had no such issues. New firmware updates have brought more controller compatibility and other improvements.

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i remember such thing happen on Xbox 360 but then changed the policy. But its Nintendo they won't do such thing. Look at niconico app ? Free! And it even does not have the warning: Free service until 2018. Only the subscription service in the app is what is paid nothing more.

tri_fin

Trophies
XP
Country
And because it's protable it can't have updates to introduce to new features / ideas the dev team have / had?

let me get this straight, you hate updates because of the "IT Problems" but are willingly to run unsecure in a minefield?

I don't understand. I hate slack working practices wrapped up in other wrappers. I will state my point clearly so you can understand. Many companies over the years have implemented many updates and security patches to fix problems and to add features. Some of these have caused very large problems worldwide. This accounts for millions of man hours of wasted time.

I would never run unsecured in a minefield. I would never run in a minefield. To continue with your analogy the only way I would end up in a minefield was if I accidentally walked into one that someone had laid and forgotten to map correctly. I do not agree with mines. I would like to see mine factories banned. I don't really like running x.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

wvsgnovize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Many companies over the years have implemented many updates and security patches to fix problems and to add features. Some of these have caused very large problems worldwide. This accounts for millions of man hours of wasted time.

This is true, but it's only one side of the issue. Yes, sometimes updates create problems. But, generally speaking, they fix more problems than they cause. If you don't update your software properly, you'd end up wasting even more time dealing with crashes or (even worse) end up being hacked.

the only way I would end up in a minefield was if I accidentally walked into one that someone had laid and forgotten to map correctly
Right. And that's why the mapping company releases UPDATES to their maps so all the minefields are correctly mapped. If you don't let them update your map, you WILL run into a minefield because you didn't know that it was there.

Reactions: tri_fin

tri_fin

Trophies
XP
Country
This is true, but it's only one side of the issue. Yes, sometimes updates create problems. But, generally speaking, they fix more problems than they cause. If you don't update your software properly, you'd end up wasting even more time dealing with crashes or (even worse) end up being hacked.

Right. And that's why the mapping company releases UPDATES to their maps so all the minefields are correctly mapped. If you don't let them update your map, you WILL run into a minefield because you didn't know that it was there.

Very true! But mines ought not to be created therefore no minefields to concern oneself with. Let's not forget I don't run, I walk carefully! By this I mean I take care and responsibility for myself and my actions. I do not need automatic updates. I would like information and clarity so I can make my own informed decisions and take responsibility myself for them.

I am sorry for being argumentative but there is an argument against auto-updates that has nothing to do with piracy. Millions upon millions of man hours have been wasted on repairing damaged IT systems from poorly written and poorly patched software.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Very true! But mines ought not to be created therefore no minefields to concern oneself with. Let's not forget I don't run, I walk carefully! By this I mean I take care and responsibility for myself and my actions. I do not need automatic updates. I would like information and clarity so I can make my own informed decisions and take responsibility myself for them.

I am sorry for being argumentative but there is an argument against auto-updates that has nothing to do with piracy. Millions upon millions of man hours have been wasted on repairing damaged IT systems from poorly written and poorly patched software.
yeah. Bigger companies also were really carfully and look what no petya did to them.
Updates are needed in the modern times.

tri_fin

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah. Bigger companies also were really carfully and look what no petya did to them.
Updates are needed in the modern times.

I am not sure what you trying to say. Petya is an example of where poorly patched IT systems were taken advantage of. Not where an auto update caused or solved a problem. My IT systems were not affected. If they had been I would not have blamed the hackers but myself for inadequate protection. As mentioned earlier there are always two sides to a discussion and I repeat, for clarity, that there is a strong and valid argument against (auto) updates.

Furthermore blanket comments like 'updates are needed in modern times' are to me a little depressing. There has always been crime and those wishing to cause problems. I just aspire to, and am willing to work / pay for, a better world. I certainly do not trust my security to MS, Apple etc and best of luck to those who do!

wvsgnovize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Petya is an example of where poorly patched IT systems were taken advantage of. Not where an auto update caused or solved a problem.
I doubt that anyone uses unsupervised automatic updates in a professional environment. Even Windows 10 updates are usually not automated in such environments; you'd have a WSUS server in your local network, where admins manually review each update and then allow (or deny) distribution of said update to all clients.
I certainly do not trust my security to MS, Apple etc and best of luck to those who do!
So what do you do? Use Linux instead of Windows? But then you still trust other people (the maintainers of your distribution) with your security.

I would not have blamed the hackers but myself for inadequate protection
How would you have protected yourself from something like HeartBleed, for example?

I'm not arguing that automatic updates are an ideal solution (especially not the way MS does them with Win10) - but saying that software updates are evil by default and that you can simply avoid them and still be protected is just insane.

Reactions: DarkIrata

tri_fin

Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt that anyone uses unsupervised automatic updates in a professional environment. Even Windows 10 updates are usually not automated in such environments; you'd have a WSUS server in your local network, where admins manually review each update and then allow (or deny) distribution of said update to all clients.

So what do you do? Use Linux instead of Windows? But then you still trust other people (the maintainers of your distribution) with your security.

How would you have protected yourself from something like HeartBleed, for example?

I'm not arguing that automatic updates are an ideal solution (especially not the way MS does them with Win10) - but saying that software updates are evil by default and that you can simply avoid them and still be protected is just insane.

Yes, I agree, software updates are necessary but saying that the only argument against them was to allow piracy is just rubbish (which is what was being said earlier in this thread). I wanted to make the point that they can cause huge problems and people have reasonable justification to know their contents, function and ultimately control of their implementation.

I use them all, Windows, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android etc and sadly I rely on them just like everyone else.

As for protection. Buy decent hardware and software from trusted sources. Keep it simple. Follow tried and test backup routines. Keep everything up to date. Take responsibility for your network / systems yourself. My systems are not immune, if you walk into my office with a gun of course I'll give you any password you want.

(As for WSUS I wouldn't know where to start. Early days of that thing were a total nightmare. MS used to mail out multiple page documents of poorly edited gibberish pretending to be update guides along with multiple, barely readable dvd/cd's jammed full of critical updates just to stop them falling over. Comparatively Windows 10 is really not bad at all. Windows Me or Vista now they were something else. MS really have wasted millions of hours worldwide just down to their poor working practices and slack standards. And to be fair to MS it is not just them. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.)

Last edited by tri_fin, , Reason: spelling
Reactions: gameboy

Xathya

residence aparents trols of temps
Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
It's not up to Nintendo how much Netflix, Hulu and all the other on-demand services cost. I doubt we'll need Both a Nintendo Subscription & an On-demand Sub for those services.
thats not what he saying, he mean like xbox 360 needed xbox live to use netflix and internet

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo's last 'dream big' game was Zelda WiiU, the console was dead and they needed a splash. Since then every Switch game as been small:Arms, Splatoon, 1-2switch. Even the switch games can't run without workarounds to pixel rate changes

i want the video services now, i feel they'll come out when subscription fees pop up

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

splatoons offline isn't that good, ran through every level without retries with a full battery charge and another quarter charge to collect everything

so its not good to YOU its still a offline mode and ill be grateful for that it could be like Mobile games were you may buy a game that could have a wifi lock on it -_- im grateful the switch games at least have a offline mode

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so its not good to YOU its still a offline mode and ill be grateful for that it could be like Mobile games were you may buy a game that could have a wifi lock on it -_- im grateful the switch games at least have a offline mode

the switch console is barebones and they need to start bringing in better content. bought the console day 1 and six months later its very unsatisfying post-zelda. my opinion, i feel they'll start to lock the console down when they should already have been preparing to start opening it up. Color themes, unlockable themes (ff13), Music, Videos, Web, maybe even custom themes(ps3/psp) with ability to buy official themes(3ds). Switch is 5mil sold but i don't want to see it to go the wiiu route

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how does the vwii make it harder to load wii games? just put in a wii disc and load it from the wii U menu. If a player cant find the disc icon on the wii u menu then they need to stop playing games and go outside. besides why get a wii u to play wii games when you already have a wii to play wii games?

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how does the vwii make it harder to load wii games? just put in a wii disc and load it from the wii U menu. If a player cant find the disc icon on the wii u menu then they need to stop playing games and go outside. besides why get a wii u to play wii games when you already have a wii to play wii games?

with wii you turn it on point and push A
with wiiu you turn it on, point to vwii, verify motion sensor and press A, wait for it to load up, then point and press A (a process that could have made it harder for kids or elderly) takes too long to get into a game
i owned a wiiu to play both

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
with wii you turn it on point and push A
with wiiu you turn it on, point to vwii, verify motion sensor and press A, wait for it to load up, then point and press A (a process that could have made it harder for kids or elderly) takes too long to get into a game
i owned a wiiu to play both
thats how you boot up the console... not how to load a game.
Somehow i got the feeling you just cherry pick something and try make it bigger than it is. I just don't know why~ /s

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting tired of these old times saying updates are evil and "the product should have no bugs at launch".
There have always been bugs on every product and software. Even nes games had glitches, and computers before that had a myriad of issues. Yet somehow the old timers seem to forget that. But unlike older times, we now get online updates that not only fix bugs, but also add functionality the software did not have before.
And while some updates do introduce new bugs, they very rarely do. In my experience the only windows updates that broke something was windows 8 (that os was broken from the start though) and the first few windows 10 versions.
And due to the nature of pc, Microsoft can't possibly account for every single hardware variance, so some strange and isolated bugs may crop up in an update.
Really any of these arguments being made by oldies are purely personal opinion and really have no understanding of modern electronics.

Reactions: DarkIrata

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/T0X6JND.jpg