Hacking Thinking of picking up a PSP but...

Rovelius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have a really simple question which I couldn't find the answer to in the stickies. Suppose you have a "full" hacked PSP, is it still possible to play any retail copy without them annoying you with firmware updates? And is it possible to use the retail copies' online features as well with a hacked PSP?

The Wii has this problem and I can't even play my retail copies anymore. It's quite annoying.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can block disc updates on the wii, letting you know.

And for your question, yes you can play retail games without it nagging u about firmware, and yes you can play online.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rovelius said:
Awesome. Yeah I guess I forgot about that part lol.

Last question. I know how to check for firmware but how do you check for a PSP's motherboard at a store? (without buying it)
You can't really. The most you can do is buy certain ones like the Darth Vader psp. There's a sticky here that could help you find the right one.

EDIT: Typo.

Rovelius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm sounds like hunting down a hackable PSP will be a bit harder than I thought lol. Thanks for answering my questions.
smile.gif

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rovelius said:
Hmm sounds like hunting down a hackable PSP will be a bit harder than I thought lol. Thanks for answering my questions.
smile.gif

There are tons on ebay right now, they usually go for around $100 for the PSP and a few core accesories like a battery, charger and maybe a small memory stick. If you're lucky you'll also find quite a few on craigslist - in my area there are currently four different star wars 2000s being sold.

I just got one for $130 with a 2G memstick, 5 games (probly will resell most), Battery, charger, and a really nice case (plus some PSP radio thing the guy threw in after I won I didn't care about, but can't argue with a free extra item). I'll have it in 2-5 days
smile.gif

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easiest thing to do is get a PSP-2000.

And never look back.

There are amazing games.

I have over 120 hours in Dissidia duodecim and hundreds of hours in Monster Hunter alone.
PSP will never let you down .

Rovelius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well looks like I'm in luck. our Walmart has a PSP-2000 Kratos so I'll buy it. I look forward playing PSO P2 (addicted to PSO since Dreamcast lol) and MH Freedom Unite.

Just to be sure before making the move... softmodding my PSP will NOT prevent me from accessing the PSN from any retail game right? Softmodding is interesting me only for the cool homebrew apps like video recorder and battery life saver. I have the money to buy my games

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rovelius said:
Well looks like I'm in luck. our Walmart has a PSP-2000 Kratos so I'll buy it. I look forward playing PSO P2 (addicted to PSO since Dreamcast lol) and MH Freedom Unite.

Just to be sure before making the move... softmodding my PSP will NOT prevent me from accessing the PSN from any retail game right? Softmodding is interesting me only for the cool homebrew apps like video recorder and battery life saver. I have the money to buy my games

STOP RIGHT THERE.

Not all 2K Kratoses can be (fully) hacked, it's a crapshoot, and if walmart still carries it it's probably the 3K GOW, which is DEFINETELY unhackable. The 2000 one is ALL red while the 3000 one is red and black.

You'll have to buy used or pay tons for an unopened 2000 bundle.

Go with star wars or daxter PSP, they're safe.

Rovelius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
So basically I have to take a chance buying this PSP and hoping it won't be on the latest firmware... sucks
frown.gif
at this rate I might as well take a PSP 3000 and hope for the best since 3000>2000

Rovelius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Turns out that Kratos PSP was a PSP-3000 after all... for reasons not worth mentioning I've decided to go with a regular, non-bundled PSP 3000. I'm lucky ! The firmware was 6.10

I want to get my hands on the DLC versions of Phantasy Star Portable 2 and MH:Freedom Unite. How can I buy those from the Store if I need to stay on OFL 6.20? Are there plugins/hacks out there that allow you to bypass the firmware check?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In emulation overclocked FX chips makes a pretty big difference in frame rate